Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Apr 8, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #1,336 of 2,153
  Could tweaking the sound with audio software possibly give you "Like" sound quality of the M9XX?

No, you can't 'fix' with software what's not there. If you do try to 'add' sound quality with some sort of an enhancer, you change the sound instead of improving it, so you will only be further away from the true music than get closer to it. It might still sound pleasant, but it's not what's on the recording.

Ask yourself this: if you go for the m9xx, would you really miss the additional features the X7 has, and if so, would you consider buying an additional device to accomplish what you want? If that's true, then you obviously need to choose the X7.
The m9xx is a no-brainer only if its limited input/output options are enough for you. In short, decide first what features you think are absolutely essential, and then find a suitable device.

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #1,337 of 2,153
No, you can't 'fix' with software what's not there. If you do try to 'add' sound quality with some sort of an enhancer, you change the sound instead of improving it, so you will only be further away from the true music than get closer to it. It might still sound pleasant, but it's not what's on the recording.

Ask yourself this: if you go for the m9xx, would you really miss the additional features the X7 has, and if so, would you consider buying an additional device to accomplish what you want? If that's true, then you obviously need to choose the X7.
The m9xx is a no-brainer only if its limited input/output options are enough for you. In short, decide first what features you think are absolutely essential, and then find a suitable device.

Yeah, I guess that was a dumb question sorry. You're super helpful and I appreciate your guidance. How would the M9XX compare to a NAD D7050? It's the only other small form factor "All in one" I've come across.

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #1,338 of 2,153
  Hi Guys,

I'm sorry to throw this off rail, but could someone please help me with determining what is a better choice for me?
I'm looking at the M9XX vs. Creative Sound Blaster X7 or X7(LE).

I understand that the M9XX is more portable and the X7 was designed to be more of an "All in one" w/ gaming in mind.
Aside from that I'm more interested in hearing your thoughts on the guts because if we're going by looks the M9XX is far more handsome.

How big is the sacrifice here? Massdrop has a drop going for the X7 respectively at 319.99 or 419.99 for the Limited Edition.
Some things worth mentioning are that I have no other gear, this will be used at desktop Dac/headphone amp w/ AKG K702 Annies, my only source of high end music currently is Tidal, and My desktop computer has stock Mobo soundcard. 

Trying to keep it simple ....  

FWIW,

If you're planning on getting a  dac/amp simply for music (or stereo movie/gaming) from desktop (ie you're not gonna use other functions of another dac/amp in the foreseeable future) why not just get the m9xx ?

A bit of personal history for reference,

I was using the Aune T1 Mk1 dac/amp before moving to m9xx, did a couple tubes rolling on the aune. Sound changes depends on the tube I used.

Moving from aune to m9xx, at least for me personally, there isn't any wow factor.  There's no moment of  "Wow ! My music sounds sooooo greaaaattttt now with the m9xx !!"

What the m9xx does brilliantly for me is to play my music so errr... "cleanly" ?

As in there's no coloration effect from the m9xx, whatever coloration / change in how my music sound comes from my headphones.

Everything just seems clean / clear / perhaps not "better", but certainly more errr.. "pristine" if there's such a thing in explaining how i perceived the sound, lol.

I'm currently using hifiman he400s - beyerdynamic dt700/80 - sony mdr ma900 (had  the akg k7xx), so i really mean what i said about how coloration comes from the headphones themselves, not from the m9xx
I'm also using the line out from m9xx to my Corsair SP2500 powered speaker. 2.1 sound for movies / gaming is enough for me. I don't really need the 5.1 / other dsp functions, so I like the m9xx.

Guess what I'm trying to say is this, if you're looking for a dac/amp just for a simple desktop use, m9xx is great.

Might (or might not be :p) a day/night difference from your stock mobo dac, but the m9xx will certainly sounds "cleaner / clearer"

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #1,339 of 2,153

Hi and thanks for your input sir. The reason I'm comparing the two are because I can and plan to use the X7 for all that you have mentioned. I just didn't know how well it stood as a headphone amp and DAC compared to the M9XX. Could tweaking the sound with audio software possibly give you "Like" sound quality of the M9XX? As you can tell I'm not avid with Soundology lol. In all seriousness there are so many components in these amps that I don't know what I'm looking for. The M9XX appears to be a lot of high end components in a small package and for a bargain. That's great, but aside from the flexibility options of the X7 (After comparing apples to apples) I hear you telling me that the M9XX is a no brainer yes? 

I would say yes, however you should know that I personally have not done an A/B comparison of the two devices.  I own the m9XX and it is wonderful.  Based on reviews the m9XX certainly wins an overall sound quality and resolution.  It is also good will sensitive headphones so if you plan to use IEM's than the m9XX is certainly better.  To an extent is could come down to if you plan to use active or passive speakers (if any).  If you plan on using passive speakers than the X7 is vastly superior as it can actually run them.  Just for clarities sake passive is when it does not have any sort of self power whereas an active speaker has its own power supply and only needs a source to play music.

If you plan to mostly listen through headphones than yes the m9XX is far better based off my experience, spec sheet, and other reviews.  As I said before the m9XX is considerably smaller so if desk space is a potential problem than that is another bonus.  It was one of the reasons I got the m9XX instead of Schiit Bifrost, as I don't have ample desk space.

Another thing you should consider is price.  While the m9XX is better, it is more expensive than both other models of the X7 through massdrop.  Furthermore, it could be a little while before massdrop puts the m9XX up for a drop as one ended not too long ago.

So I am not saying it is a no brainer, but my vote would still be the m9XX if you are willing to wait a little bit, or maybe get one second hand.  Below is a highlight list summing up my rambling :)

m9XX:
Better sound quality
lower output impendence
smaller form factor
better warranty/durability

X7:
A wealth of features
lower cost
can power passive speakers

Apr 10, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #1,340 of 2,153
  Hi Guys,

I'm sorry to throw this off rail, but could someone please help me with determining what is a better choice for me?
I'm looking at the M9XX vs. Creative Sound Blaster X7 or X7(LE).

I understand that the M9XX is more portable and the X7 was designed to be more of an "All in one" w/ gaming in mind.
Aside from that I'm more interested in hearing your thoughts on the guts because if we're going by looks the M9XX is far more handsome.

How big is the sacrifice here? Massdrop has a drop going for the X7 respectively at 319.99 or 419.99 for the Limited Edition.
Some things worth mentioning are that I have no other gear, this will be used at desktop Dac/headphone amp w/ AKG K702 Annies, my only source of high end music currently is Tidal, and My desktop computer has stock Mobo soundcard. 

Trying to keep it simple ....  

Most importantly, don't completely decide based on other people's opinion. Sound quality is very subjective and what works for someone else may not work for you. I bought the m9XX based on what I read on this thread. While I very much appreciate the sound, I felt that it was too dark and laid back for me. I listen to mostly EDM and felt that it was not a good pair. I ended up returning it (thank you Massdrop for allowing this btw, very professional) and getting a iFi iDSD instead. I feel that the iDSD matches my personal taste much better. Also, as much as the head-fi'ers put emphasis on DAC and amps, they ultimately don't make that much of a difference compared to the transducer (your headphone or your speakers) and they also have incredibly diminishing returns. Unless you're planning to invest heavily in the future into DAC/amps, I would encourage you to select them based on their extra features. If you feel the X7's speaker output option is something important to you, then it would be a safe bet to get that instead.

Apr 11, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #1,341 of 2,153
Thanks for all your help guys ... The best thing to do is try it for myself and share my experience with others here. I'm sure this has came up previously, but what Headphones are you guys using? I'm leaning towards the Beyerdynamic DT1770 or Fostex THX00. Can someone please share their experiences with these or point me in the right direction? I'm looking for closed cans that wont leak. Feel free to recommend others. Ty

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #1,344 of 2,153
  Has anyone had any issue with plugging in the mini usb's on the back? It seems like they don't line up, or something. It's very tricky and I even feel I might break it. :/

​They are a much tighter fit than most USB ports, but certainly stay in place once plugged in.  You do need a bit of confidence to push the plug in hard once you are happy that it is aligned.

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #1,347 of 2,153
For those who are using this for a DAC for their desktop what are you using to power speakers?

Apr 13, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #1,349 of 2,153
  For those who are using this for a DAC for their desktop what are you using to power speakers?

Mine paired very nicely with an Amptastic Mini-1 using the amp's analogue volume control: https://www.amptastic.com/

Also had good success with an Audiolab M-PWR power amp using the m9XX for volume control duties.  I use a pair of -10dB attenuators on the power amp's inputs so that I can run the m9XX higher up the digital volume ladder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back