Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Dec 30, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #946 of 2,153
Supposedly the people at Grace designed the m9XX using an HD800 as their primary reference. So that makes sense.

Woulda sworn it was the X00 given no other knowledge (which I did not have).

I do want to say I leave my m9xx in and on always but I notice that it stays warm.  Now, I'm no elecmatrancer (not even an apprentice!) but that suggests to me that when it's idle it draws more power than just enough to power the indicator dot.  And when I say warm I mean warm, not hot.

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #948 of 2,153
Woulda sworn it was the X00 given no other knowledge (which I did not have).

I do want to say I leave my m9xx in and on always but I notice that it stays warm.  Now, I'm no elecmatrancer (not even an apprentice!) but that suggests to me that when it's idle it draws more power than just enough to power the indicator dot.  And when I say warm I mean warm, not hot.

Yeah, there's actually a train of thought that DACs sound their best when warm. Don't know if I believe it, but it's a theory that's ouchea.

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #950 of 2,153

I can't find the reference ATM, but I developed the distinct impression that the Grace m920 amp runs in Class A mode, which means, the less signal it amplifies, the more power it uses (gross oversimplification, I know).  The m920 gets nice 'n warm too, although not uncomfortably so.  I wonder if the m9XX has the same architecture/Class as its bigger brother?

- Dave

Dec 30, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #954 of 2,153

I can't find the reference ATM, but I developed the distinct impression that the Grace m920 amp runs in Class A mode, which means, the less signal it amplifies, the more power it uses (gross oversimplification, I know).  The m920 gets nice 'n warm too, although not uncomfortably so.  I wonder if the m9XX has the same architecture/Class as its bigger brother?

- Dave

It's a current amp with a custom topology for 0 output impedance.  I think I read somewhere that it's class A from 0-90 and then switches to AB for 90.5-99.5, but please don't quote me on that.

Dec 30, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #955 of 2,153

Thanks! It's on page 13. Full solid state polymer caps. It's going to last quite a long time. Nice!

things like this have lead me to be more and more and more impressed with this thing.  It's like every time I actually research some small aspect of it, it turns out to be much more imrpessive than I initially thought.  Like if anything this was probably underhyped due to Michael Grace's trademarked brief and to the point engineer way of speaking.

Dec 30, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #956 of 2,153
Yeah, there's actually a train of thought that DACs sound their best when warm. Don't know if I believe it, but it's a theory that's ouchea.

Unfortunately, that is true.

Fortunately, it is pretty minor for most Delta-Sigma DACs.

It's a pretty deep rabbit hole when you start considering things like this. But it's pretty simple for me. After I sell my The Element (with ODAC rev B), I will have a single Delta-Sigma DAC in the house, which is the Grace Design m9XX. It has no on/off switch, so it just stays on 
redface.gif

Dec 30, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #958 of 2,153
am i double amping if my m9xx is on high power while connect to an external amp through line out?

Only if the volume is above 90. 90 is unity gain for a 2V line level out.

Dec 30, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #959 of 2,153
  Unfortunately, that is true.

Fortunately, it is pretty minor for most Delta-Sigma DACs.

It's a pretty deep rabbit hole when you start considering things like this. But it's pretty simple for me. After I sell my The Element (with ODAC rev B), I will have a single Delta-Sigma DAC in the house, which is the Grace Design m9XX. It has no on/off switch, so it just stays on 
redface.gif

And @fjrabon - Correct me if I'm wrong... did I read somewhere that Grace was working on a power down function for a future firmware update? 

Looking forward to receiving and listening to mine! The pictures of the internals on page 13 over on the Massdrop discussion board are pretty sweet. However, I especially liked the Mini Mouse headphones a few posts prior. 

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back