grace audio preamp anyone using it ?
Aug 10, 2002 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

miziq

100+ Head-Fier
anyone using it jet and whit what combinatin..

thnx

Aug 10, 2002 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 14
I believe one Head-Fi member is using this amp, and loves it. I'll give this thread a bump and see if he replies.

Aug 11, 2002 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 14
Well the one review here on Head-fi was for the headphone amplifier and not the preamplifiers that they sell

The owner is 88sound. I was just looking up the review the other day so I had this info at my fingertips.

Here's the thread

Aug 11, 2002 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 14
If you're talking about the Grace Model 901 Reference Headphone Amplifier, that's what I have. I think this is an outstanding solid state amp with some unique characteristics. The most improved phone with this amp is the RS1, but they all sound great with it. This is not only a powerful and detailed amp but very musical also. My experience with high end solid state headphone amps is very limited, the RA-1 was the best solid state I'd heard before the Grace. If you have any specific questions about this amp feel free to ask here or PM me.

Aug 11, 2002 at 7:17 AM Post #5 of 14
thanx for reply

in long term im looking for something that could satified my pro audio standards and match top hi end experience. i would really like tosee how this amp stand up to headroom max cos its in the same range.

i contacted bob ludwig in getaway master studios and here is what he said:

We own 5 of them and they are great.
The units have a very decent 96kHz D/A and the analog balanced and
unbalanced inputs are a plus!
We use the Sennheiser 580 or 600. Our quality control people wear them
for long periods so comfort is essential.
A better headphone but impossible to find is the original Grado
Signature series (it has a metal case). The present Grado "reference"
woods case headphones sound too bright to me.

I hope this helps!

this is his statemant very interesting to hear from guy who is like legend even in mastering audiophile records and specialy comercial ones.

its a lot of money for headphone amp but if this could stop my ultimate search i will start saving.

what is most important for me is also the looks and build quality. you say that this baby is build like tank and aluminium finish is great. is there a chance to post high quality picture of it.

i was thinking of just getting high qualiy digital output for my computer and then i have like very best monitoring and listening device..

thanx for any reply.. also look at my new post on digital file solution ..

yours

miziq

Aug 12, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 14
miziq,

I have no comment on the Max because I have not heard one. Looks of course are very subjective but I love the way the Grace looks. Build quality is another thing, I don't know how the Grace could have the appearance of being built any better. From the jacks used, to the operation of the switches, the solid face plate, steel chasis, pure quality. Also the capabilities of the Grace make it the perfect tool for evaluating cables, headphones, sources, DACS. If your source has digital and analog outputs you can hook them both up and instantly switch between them. This of course will give you an instant comparison between your source's DAC and analog interconnect and a digital interconnect and the Grace DAC. With the High/Low range button you can set the 901 up perfectly for Grado's or Senn's or ETY4S's or even K1000's at moderate volume. I am probably biased because I bought this, but I really think it is an excellent product. This amp is powerful, articulate, and musical and the only amp so far that has been able to play the RS1 or 325 to what I think is their full potential.

The major draw backs to the Grace for me were the inability to audition one before purchase, and I don't believe there is anywhere you could return one if you didn't like it. If you decide you may want to get one send me a PM and I will tell you a place that has them discounted a little, and if you're in the US free shipping. If you have further questions you may want to Give Michael Grace a call (he designed it). Everybody at Grace Designs I have talked to is very pleasant and customer oriented.

The pictures of the 901 on the Grace web site for the front panel and rear panel are very good. I have always wanted to open the thing up and take some internal pictures but have not done that yet.

Hope that helps.

Aug 12, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by 88Sound
The major draw backs to the Grace for me were the inability to audition one before purchase, and I don't believe there is anywhere you could return one if you didn't like it.

Here's a place...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/901/

I'm pretty sure they would take it back if you don't like it. Give them a call to be sure, but they've always been good about taking back gear that didn't suit me.

Aug 12, 2002 at 9:54 AM Post #8 of 14
elambo,

I forgot about Sweetwater, I've also purchased several things from them and they are very good. Most places sell the Grace at list. Sweetwater is discounted however you will pay more here for the privelege of return compared to the absolute lowest price I've seen on this item. The additional cost may well be worth it to you. As far as warranty is concerned, Grace handles everything with a 5 year parts and labor warranty transferable to any subsequent owner. The 901 is one of those items that gives you the feeling that it will work 50 years from now as long as you can still supply it with 117 Volts or so AC.

If the possibility of a return is a must Sweetwater is the way to go (I still would check with them to make sure). I hope somebody else gets this so we can compare notes.

Maybe this will push you over the edge, I don't know if they still do but Sweetwater used to pack candy with every shipment.
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2002 at 5:26 AM Post #10 of 14
hey 88 could u post a picture of inside of 901.

candy is all over me
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2002 at 10:35 AM Post #11 of 14
miziq,

I have taken a BIG picture of the inside of the 901, because I don't know how to do it myself I've asked one of my favorite moderators to add this pic to my review. If you would like your own Giant Sized copy (668k) send me an e-mail (not PM) and I will reply with an attachment of the pic.
cool.gif

Aug 13, 2002 at 10:53 AM Post #12 of 14
In order to get the inside picture on the review the pic has to be hosted on a server somewhere. Since I have no arrangements for this at the moment Here is a small pic.

Aug 13, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #13 of 14
thanx 88 sound

i see step atenatour , vima capacitors and torodial transformator, it looks really profesional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back