GR07 Replacement
Apr 19, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #16 of 22

Quote:

But seriously, I know you're a hater of the turbines, but there are many others that enjoy them. The GR-07 is a totally different signature from the colored and
natural turbines. The GR-07 is undoubtedly more neutral and accurate, but not quite as natural as the fun turbines. So you shouldn't disregard IEMs that you don't like, because many others could like it as well. I found the turbines a lot more fun as well.

Natural is NOT a word to describe the turbines. On a scale of 1-10 measuring "naturality", I'd rate them a 3. I'm not a turbine hater, nor am I disregarding them. I'm saying that the GR07 is a country mile ahead of the Turbine in everything, INCLUDING bass. For example, I really like my SE215, which was colored. That doesn't stop me from saying that the GR07 is head and shoulders above it in performance. Go listen to them again; this time side by side like I did.

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #17 of 22

Quote:

Natural is NOT a word to describe the turbines. On a scale of 1-10 measuring "naturality", I'd rate them a 3. I'm not a turbine hater, nor am I disregarding them. I'm saying that the GR07 is a country mile ahead of the Turbine in everything, INCLUDING bass. For example, I really like my SE215, which was colored. That doesn't stop me from saying that the GR07 is head and shoulders above it in performance. Go listen to them again; this time side by side like I did.

But an IEM is natural if it's colored in the right way. And I found the turbine to be natural, it sounds very much like a speaker, which is natural. And I never said I preferred the turbine over he GR-07, I find the GR-07 overall better but tturbine more natural. Even though I found both of them to have too much bass for me, I felt turbine had the rumbling, more natural bass but GR-07 more accurate. And what happened the personal opinion now? Just because you found them a whole lot better doesn't mean anyone couldn't prefer the turbine over the GR-07. Everyone hears things differently, I found them natural, okay, maybe you do not, so be it.

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #19 of 22
So do you like the FX500 Kiteki? From an earlier impression I thought you didn't like them? You had mentioned the FX500 lacked clarity?

I consider my FX700s quite clear with great treble extension. But keep in mind they do require a lot of burn in. I'd say 200+ hours and they sound significantly better. The bass was a bit bloated for my taste initially but with usage it's very acceptable.

To the thread starter. I know you had mentioned $100.00 being your limit. But if you ever do move up I bet you the IE80 would be a clear upgrade over the GR07.

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #21 of 22

Quote:

Etymotic HF5 or UE700 for pristine clarity and seperation in metal, at the ~$100 mark.

I didn't find the GR07 harsh or lacking in bass, perhaps you want to try a totally different signature?  Like Klipsch Image S4, JVC FXC71, etc.

I found the GR-07 to have even more bass than the BA200, Westone 4 and UM3x which do have quite a lot of bass. Agree that they don't lack in bass. The also sounded dark to me, and the highs were far from harsh compared to the ER-4 and UM3x

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #22 of 22

Quote:

Hi Lee730,

Long time no see, seems like you thought I wouldn't be back.

I didn't like the FX500 on my very first listen.  I still think they're narrow and lacking in air, but their positives are coming in spades now.

Long time no see and welcome back. I've heard the FX500 has a similar sound stage to the FX700. If this is the case they should open up considerably with usage (after 200+ hours) and IMO shouldn't be so narrow but more open. If anything their sound stage is similar in size to the IE8 just not as big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back