GR07, MA750, FLC 8S, or CIEM?
Apr 16, 2018 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kagelou

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Been quite a while since I posted! Glad to see that the community is active as usual!

I have come back on the forum from a ~3 year hibernation because I would like some recommendations on a new pair of IEM or CIEM for portable usage.

The last gear I purchased were my V-Moda M80 right when they were released, been happy with them so haven't really considered getting a new pair of gear.

However, they have gotten quite old and I would like something with more isolation than an on-ear headphone due to the noise on the train to work.

Therefore, I am looking into some mid~high tier universals or maybeeeeee a CIEM.

After thoroughly reading through Joker's guides/comments both on headfi and theheadphonelist, I am interested in the below universals.

・VSONIC GR07 BE - seems to be one of headfi's favorites, was actually interested in it when the first version was released
・RHA MA750 - read that it is comparable to the GR07 but with more bass and a little recessed mids
・FLC FLC8S - read that it is pretty much a direct upgrade to the GR07. However, price point is on a different level than the former 2, so skeptical if it is worth it...

In addition to the above, I am also in the market for CIEMs, especially since I understand how much isolation they provide since I had a pair of Etys with ACS custom sleeves.
However, I am not sure if I would like BAs over dynamic...was not a big fan of ATH CK10s when I tried them out...since most CIEMs seem to be BA, are most of them "cold and analytical" as the CK10s?
(apologies, not much experience with full CIEMs)

After a quick look, it seems Custom Art Fibae series is a good value. Although CIEMs are at a different price point than the first 2 above, I feel that if I'm getting the FLC, I should just go for customs, any thoughts?

I will be powering them through either my phone (OnePlus 3T) or my Fiio X5 (1st gen) + Fiio E12A Mont Blanc. I do like how my M80s sound (mid bass/mid centric) but wouldn't mind trying something else!

Any advice/input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 6
Depending on where you live you might be able to get the Acoustune 1501 / 1551 based on what sound signature you like. I find them really good mid-tier dynamic IEMs.

CIEMs usually cost a lot more than universals, and if you get them and don't like the sound then they are harder to sell off.

Apr 17, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 6
Time flies when you're away. At this point, you have even more options - there's like 2-3 outings from flc that's about to get released, as well as new outings for vsonic.

If you're looking a good reviewer and iem feedback, I would suggest you look into crinnacle's ranking/list as a starting point. He's legit imo -- no cult personality agenda nor product cheerleading. Flickenick is another reviewer whose feedback is pretty handy for reference. Good luck.

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #4 of 6
Depending on where you live you might be able to get the Acoustune 1501 / 1551 based on what sound signature you like. I find them really good mid-tier dynamic IEMs.

CIEMs usually cost a lot more than universals, and if you get them and don't like the sound then they are harder to sell off.

Thank you for the recommendation.
I mentioned this in the CustomArt Impressions thread since they are the CIEM I am interested in, but I feel that my search has 2 options;
1. Go with a universal IEM, around $150
2. Splurge for a CIEM, max budget around $1,000 (since I understand the comfort of CIEM vs universal)

I don't feel like a $400~$500 universal IEM is worth it, would just pay a couple more for a nice CIEM =/
I just just added the FLC 8S due to the fact that it seems like a direct upgrade to the GR07, hence not sure if I would even go with it or any other universal IEM above $400.
To be honest, I've had trouble in the past with fit for universal IEMs, and after using the comfortable ACS tipcs on my Etys, not sure if I can return to universals.
I was able to find a retailer that has the GR07, MA750, and FLC 8s as well as some universal versions of the CIEMs (CustomArt), will try them all out to see the fit and sound!

Time flies when you're away. At this point, you have even more options - there's like 2-3 outings from flc that's about to get released, as well as new outings for vsonic.

If you're looking a good reviewer and iem feedback, I would suggest you look into crinnacle's ranking/list as a starting point. He's legit imo -- no cult personality agenda nor product cheerleading. Flickenick is another reviewer whose feedback is pretty handy for reference. Good luck.

Indeed, the entire UI of headfi changed while I was gone!
Guess my hunger for better gear went into hibernation after I settled on my V80 + X5 + E12A, came back for more though! (as more head-fiers do haha)
Hm, not really in a rush to get the new gear, maybe I will wait a bit to see what they have to offer o.o

Will take a look into his reviews, thanks!
Always been using joker and theheadphonelist rankings/reviews as a reference point, glad I can add a reference source!

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 6
Just so you know, there is now tremendous value in some of the universals in the $500-$1000 range. You might look into some of the offerings from Noble and Campfire and see what you think. It is possible one could work for you.

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #6 of 6
Just so you know, there is now tremendous value in some of the universals in the $500-$1000 range. You might look into some of the offerings from Noble and Campfire and see what you think. It is possible one could work for you.

Thanks for the input, will try them out since the local shop seems to have Noble and Campfire IEMs as well.
I've just always had a fit issue with universals, can't seem to get a good seal (especially in my right ear) which affects the bass impact and depth.
Ety tri-flange was thin and worked nice, but the custom ACS sleeves did wonders for comfort and seal, so it may be hard for me to go back to uni's :triportsad:
Nevertheless, can't hurt to try them out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back