Got them! (Entry into Stax Electrostats for <200$ possible?)
May 5, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #16 of 89
i used to love the dynamic punch, and the dt770s in particular, but after tasting electrostats i can´t go back to dynamics; they just sound so... inferior.
and i mainly listen to 80s and 70s synthpop, so one would think that punchy dynamics would be a better match.
havent heard the "low-level" stax though, so i cant speak for them.

May 5, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #17 of 89
redface.gif
a bit of a shameless plug:

You can buy these headphones, if they are not sold yet: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...ellent-319407/

and my SRD-6SB and you will have a nice system
tongue.gif

May 5, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #18 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i used to love the dynamic punch, and the dt770s in particular, but after tasting electrostats i can´t go back to dynamics; they just sound so... inferior.
and i mainly listen to 80s and 70s synthpop, so one would think that punchy dynamics would be a better match.
havent heard the "low-level" stax though, so i cant speak for them.

IMHO it's the same for all stats, more so for low level stats. Orthos on the other hand combine stat goodness with dynamic punch, but this is a conversation for another topic.

May 5, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #19 of 89
Hi!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
redface.gif
a bit of a shameless plug:

You can buy these headphones, if they are not sold yet: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...ellent-319407/

and my SRD-6SB and you will have a nice system
tongue.gif

This looks interesting but I wonder if it makes sense for me to buy from the US since I live in Germany. There would be pretty high shipping+insurance* costs and customs.
So I'm focused on German eBay at the moment but perhaps I should ask in the FS threads how much shipping cost there would be. But I don't want to rush anyway.

Jonas

* Some phones I ordered from the US were stolen while shipping so I won't buy anything without insurance anymore.

Edit (to prevent a double post)...

Maybe a funny question but:
If electrostats have that much of detail is it disturbing to listen to mainstream CDs that are compressed/brickwalled? Or do real Stax-owners only listen to Classic Rock, Classical and Jazz?

How would you describe the sound signature or balance between highs, mids and bass of the typical Stax headphone? I read something about "bass shy" but I'm wondering how shy they really are. Could somebody compare them to HD595, MS1 or PX100 for me to get an idea of that? Thanks!

Cheers
Jonas

May 5, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #20 of 89
Having never heard a electrostat headphone, is the sond sig 'different' in the same way sennheiser is 'different' then grado. I have a pair of HD650s, and SR-225s. I love the grados and am indifferent to the senns, but dont want to drop 700 on a RS-1 upgrade. Will a sub 200$ stat fill the gap? Are there different sound sigs on different Stax headphones?

May 5, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #21 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchess of York /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having never heard a electrostat headphone, is the sond sig 'different' in the same way sennheiser is 'different' then grado. I have a pair of HD650s, and SR-225s. I love the grados and am indifferent to the senns, but dont want to drop 700 on a RS-1 upgrade. Will a sub 200$ stat fill the gap? Are there different sound sigs on different Stax headphones?

Yes, the sound signature is different, but the presentation of the sound is different as well. It's hard to describe - you sorta have to have heard a planar driver to understand it.

May 5, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #22 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo-Vo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This looks interesting but I wonder if it makes sense for me to buy from the US since I live in Germany. There would be pretty high shipping+insurance* costs and customs.
So I'm focused on German eBay at the moment but perhaps I should ask in the FS threads how much shipping cost there would be. But I don't want to rush anyway.

Maybe with the exchange rate it would still be cheaper to buy that rig from the US, but yes there are dozens of Stax auctions on ebay.de right now, more than all the ones on ebay.com in the last month put together. However, I'm sure there are also people in the US reading this thread.

May 5, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #23 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe with the exchange rate it would still be cheaper to buy that rig from the US, but yes there are dozens of Stax auctions on ebay.de right now, more than all the ones on ebay.com in the last month put together. However, I'm sure there are also people in the US reading this thread.

I did not see any good deals amongst all these plentiful actions
wink.gif

May 5, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #25 of 89
New models you mean? Or buying new? I got my 2020 setup for about £200. Sold for similar. Buying new you're still limited to the SR-001 at that budget.

May 5, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #26 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not see any good deals amongst all these plentiful actions
wink.gif

exactly-- broader selection, greater chance of a lucky ebay deal, but the inexorable force of the exchange rate makes it unlikely to get almost any vintage stax in Germany as cheap as you can get it here.

May 6, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #27 of 89
I would say out of the vintage Stax that I've owned, the SR-5NB (gold edition) are way ahead of the SR-3, and can beat an HD600 or HD650 for $200 including energizer. They have good bass, warm mids, and sparkly treble, without funny resonances or peaks, and seem very accurate. I had Gamma Pros and thought they were great, but they seemed a little rolled off at the low and high end of the frequency spectrum, and the SR-5NB (gold edition) have more extension (maybe because of the ear-cups design or something).

I actually have a set for myself and a set for my son, and each time I was able to do it for under $200, although I have seen the SR-5NB go for $200 without energizer here and on eBay, but it should still be doable for under $250. This sounds better to me than a stock SR-001 Mk2 which is the same price, and is more comfortable to boot.

As another comparison of the sound, when the SR-5NB and SR-003 are both driven by my SRM-1 MK2 (high and normal bias), they sound VERY similar to each other, which is to say great. The only way to get a SR-001 to sound that good is to do the "AudioCats" mod to one, which could cost $80 in parts and about 4-6 hours in labor - I have a stock one and modded one, so I know it sounds very close after the mods.

May 6, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #29 of 89
I scored a SR-Gamma and a SRD-6/SB on ebay earlier this year for about $150, and I think they sound awesome. They may not have the soundstage of my SR-202's and the Gammas are a bit more fatiguing to listen to, but they still beat out my SR-202's in terms of sheer detail.

I think the Gammas are a great way to get into Stax, and as long as you do a little waiting I am sure you can pick up a pair of vintage Stax and an energizer for less than $200.

May 6, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #30 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
headphoneaddict, have you heard the stax 303? I'm also swaying at that direction

No, sorry, just the

SR-3,
SR-Gamma Pro
SR-5NB,
SR-Lambda,
SR-Lambda Signature,
SR-001 Mk1,
SR-001 Mk2, and
SR-003.

I still have all of them except the SR-3 and Gamma Pro, and the SR-001 Mk1 is now modded by AudioCats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back