Got the Sennheiser HD 595s ... Now what do I get with them?
Jan 7, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:
Do you have virtual Headphone surround on with your laptop card? Because the music shouldn't come my behind until you enable a virtual 5.1 feature such as Dolby headphone. Have you turned off all the extra functions of your on-board sound card?

I can make my music sound "better" by turning on the plugin Doby headphone in foobar2000. It would convert 2.1 music to 5.1 virtual surround for your headphone. Anyway, maybe your sound card is really better than E7.

There is a list of "Enhancements" for me to choose from--virtual surround, room correction, etc. They were all off.

Looks like the E7 just wasn't any better than my soundcard. The worst part is that I'm struggling to hear any difference at all between the FiiO E7 + LOD cable and my iPod Nano's internal amp...

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #32 of 41

Quote:
Looks like the E7 just wasn't any better than my soundcard. The worst part is that I'm struggling to hear any difference at all between the FiiO E7 + LOD cable and my iPod Nano's internal amp...

That seems to disagree with a lot of other people's experience, but I guess I will fiind that out for myself when I get the chance.

I hope burn-in will be make a difference for you.

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #33 of 41
     Quote:
That seems to disagree with a lot of other people's experience, but I guess I will fiind that out for myself when I get the chance.

I know. I read numerous reviews of the E7, including those of people who paired them with my headphones.

The FiiO E7 produces good sound, don't get me wrong. It's just not any better than my laptop. I'll try again later I guess.

Props if you could post your results when you get yours.

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #35 of 41
Yes, no doubt about it. An external DAC is much better than a motherboard's integrated sound chip. 

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #36 of 41
Do you listen to highly compressed music? Because sometimes colored "bad" music sounds better than non-colored "bad" music just because all the details and flaws are hidden. Just in case.

Some people have experienced exactly what you have, when they bought a reasonable amp and found out it's not what they expected. Upgrading an amp or dac will never be as a drastic improvement as upgrading a headphone, which we alwasy have to keep in mind.

But you can also keep buying and selling, and trying different amps or dacs until a time when you find some improvement over your built-in.

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #37 of 41
    Quote:
Do you listen to highly compressed music? Because sometimes colored "bad" music sounds better than non-colored "bad" music just because all the details and flaws are hidden. Just in case.

If a 330MB FLAC file is "highly compressed," then yes, I am guilty. xD

I sampled numerous songs--from FLACs down to 192kbs MP3s.

Actually, I already shipped back the FiiO E7 this morning--I got it on Amazon so I had the option of returning it. I would have waited and tested it more, but the fact that it couldn't even make my iPod sound better was kind of a breaking point.

Quote:
But you can also keep buying and selling, and trying different amps or dacs until a time when you find some improvement over your built-in.

Indeed. The NuForce uDAC-2 is next. I think I'll go for the HP version.

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #38 of 41
Mildly on topic, I finally finished work on my new DIY amp (the HiFiDIY.net Panda). Dang. It seriously makes the 595s sing.
Great bass, smooth, butterscotch mids and serious clarity on the highs. It's the best I've ever heard these cans.

...so yeah, I'd say that they respond to amping somewhat.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back