Got the HD 800 ? What kinda music do you listen to most with it ?
Aug 9, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 9
is it balanced or the regular version?

Classical, Jazz, Rock

It's what I liked

Pop, hip hop kinda lacked.

Try:
Breaking Benjamin, Dear Agony - especially Anthem of the Angels
Foo Fighters, Medium Rare
Host, The Planets
Josh Groban, Closer
John Adams, Harmonielehre
Pink Floyd, Wish you were here

My set up is in my signature. Boring but with the modding works better then a $2000 system.

Aug 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 9
I have bought my HD 800 just a year ago and I listen to all kind of music (classical, rock, jazz, folk, blues, etc,) except hip hop,  heavy metal, electronic music and so on.
I find that my HD 800 is wonderful with jazz and also with classic rock.
My setup is very expensive (as source now I have Naim cdp 555) but when I have bought my HD 800, I had a Marantz universal player as source and a dedicated headphone ampli called "Vincent" that is a hybrid ampli, that is with tubes and transistor. ( believe that it is available also in the USA but I am not sure because I live in Italy!). To me the most important thing to do is to change the custom cable because it is not up in quality with the headphone. For instance Cardas cable make a cable for the HD 800 (unbalanced) that is very good (and not very cheap to tell the truth) and that improves the bass range and give a more natural sound to the high frequencies.  

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 9
I have the regular one not balanced. I'll upgrade later but right now I'm looking for a good USB amp for it, don't know much about the good but i've seen two and i guess i'll take either - the burson 160d or the violectric v200. 
I don't like pop, hip hop, i love rock, jazz, classical.
I guess the HD800 is for the people who listen to 'real' music.

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
naim cd555 is way too expensive, how do you manage to spend so much on all this and what do you think, is it worth it ?

Yeah, I know that Naim cd 555 is way too expensive but in these last months I have decided to build my ultimate High-End System and since I am single, and my late dear mummy let me a good amount of money I have decided to invest part of it in my audio System: keep in mind that I have over 3500,00 CD's (so I needed an excellent source to hear all of them) and the better your source it is the best you get from all the other components: HD-800 is a very analytical headphone, that is it puts in evidence all the imperfections of the other units of you audio system. With a source like Naim 555 (but all Naim cdp are excellent not only the most expensive!) and a dedicated headphone ampli (now I have a WA22, a tube ampli made by New York's Woo Audio) "real" music shines and it is a real pleasure to hear your favourite CD's or music, especially if you love jazz, rock or classical.
Then it depends on your budget what to buy, I know that Burson make excellent ampli so maybe you can choose it without remorse.

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 9
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back