Got the Audio Technica AD2000
Dec 6, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #32 of 305
A SR225 (almost) sounds like a Senn compared to the AD2K
tongue.gif

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #34 of 305
Burn't in... and with the right set up... the AD2000 sounds like "the son of the union between the Grados and Senns" - very difficult to beat.

The "extreme" mids are no more "extreme" than the Senns' and moderate a bit with burn in, just as the bass fills out a bit.

You should not pass them up... just because of one desenting opinion... against the many "rave reviews." They're detailed, accurate, airy, "hybrid" sound is one of the best available.

They just require a bit of patience... and, you won't find any that are as easy to drive with low end equipment - they sound almost as good with my cheap JVC player, and Maxi Moy as they do with my M24 and DV332.

Though... I don't think you'll find them much different than your RS-2's - perhaps just a bit bigger, smoother sound.

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #35 of 305
yep that's what i'm looking for, smoother and fuller sound than RS2, all this time i've been drooling for W1K or AD2K,
sorry for OP to hijack
btw which one is more comfortable

Dec 6, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #36 of 305
Extremely well said... Balance is what makes these cans shine!

So far, I've come up from Entech --> silver ICs --> Headfive --> Ad2000s to VD Power 3 Cable --> Musiland Md-10 --> silver ICs -->Headfive -->Ad2000s. Even though the first setup was good, it was slightly lean with clean but not smooth sound. Moving from the ENC 203.2 to the Md-10 then putting the VD cable made a worthwhile difference (especially the DAC, but the Power 3 for 28$ is no slouch
biggrin.gif
) by giving more tone, more lower midrange and mid-bass, and smoothening the treble. With my previous setup, the sound was a bit peaky because of a small upper treble spike and the lack of lower midrange and midbass (deep bass was present though), but now things have got better and better... Smaller and more intimist recordings have got way better, especially acoustic instruments and drums. However, Donunus, you got to give yourself a treat and try them with a good source and amplifier. They don't change it's signature but makes it give what it's worth
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I've found out that the best sound coming from these cans (at least for me) was when the drivers touched my ears (I loose some quality when I pull them back). So far the pressure has lowered but my ears still get sore if I more too much after maybe 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I will try to loosen the grip again during the holidays but if it doesn't work, I shall order some w5000 or L3000 pads somewhere and see if it helps.

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #37 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by papomaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Extremely well said... Balance is what makes these cans shine!

So far, I've come up from Entech --> silver ICs --> Headfive --> Ad2000s to VD Power 3 Cable --> Musiland Md-10 --> silver ICs -->Headfive -->Ad2000s. Even though the first setup was good, it was slightly lean with clean but not smooth sound. Moving from the ENC 203.2 to the Md-10 then putting the VD cable made a worthwhile difference (especially the DAC, but the Power 3 for 28$ is no slouch
biggrin.gif
) by giving more tone, more lower midrange and mid-bass, and smoothening the treble. With my previous setup, the sound was a bit peaky because of a small upper treble spike and the lack of lower midrange and midbass (deep bass was present though), but now things have got better and better... Smaller and more intimist recordings have got way better, especially acoustic instruments and drums. However, Donunus, you got to give yourself a treat and try them with a good source and amplifier. They don't change it's signature but makes it give what it's worth
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I've found out that the best sound coming from these cans (at least for me) was when the drivers touched my ears (I loose some quality when I pull them back). So far the pressure has lowered but my ears still get sore if I more too much after maybe 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I will try to loosen the grip again during the holidays but if it doesn't work, I shall order some w5000 or L3000 pads somewhere and see if it helps.

Don't spend the money on expensive pads... just try the AD2000 pad mod... if you haven't yet.

It maintains the seal, yet lifts them slightly and can angle them out from the rear - which may help present a more realistic soundstage.

You can complete the mod for $3 - try it first... if you haven't already.

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #38 of 305
I'm lucky, my ears dont feel like its touching the inside. My ears are only about 2 inches from top to bottom and are almost sticking to my head
smily_headphones1.gif

About the extreme mids, They are very present but it is what makes them great because they are great mids. All the rough edges are getting tamed down everytime i start listening again after straight 5 hour sessions on them.

I don't even leave them on burning in because I'm loving the sound so much.

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #39 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by papomaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, Donunus, you got to give yourself a treat and try them with a good source and amplifier. They don't change it's signature but makes it give what it's worth
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually also have a headfive. It gives a slight extra hiss compared to the ipod headphone jack. The sound is slightly fatter but it doesn't really change my enjoyment of the ad2000s. Maybe a dac is what I need hmmm. or what about a headamp pico with the dac option?

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #40 of 305
I know sound is subjective, but are these better sounding than the Senn HD650's? From what I'm reading here, the AD2000's don't need high end equipment to sound good, unlike what I've read about the HD650's requiring a decent and expensive setup to sound their best. I've been planning on purchasing the HD650's for a while now, but still doing some researching for some more headphones within the $500 price range.

Dec 6, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #41 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know sound is subjective, but are these better sounding than the Senn HD650's? From what I'm reading here, the AD2000's don't need high end equipment to sound good, unlike what I've read about the HD650's requiring a decent and expensive setup to sound their best. I've been planning on purchasing the HD650's for a while now, but still doing some researching for some more headphones within the $500 price range.

Yes. You are correct. I've wow'd friends with the AD2000s out of an iPod. That said, I'm treating my AD2Ks well by using a Yammy. It didn't change the sound sig but brought more transparency and coherence across the freq range. Plus the mids are more liquid, realistic and musical.

Dec 6, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #42 of 305
very interesting wower. I might get a dac or a better source first to connect with my headfive then ill take it from there. By then, I will know which amp sound signature i'll need coming from the headfive with a high quality source.

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #43 of 305
Hmm. Interesting. I always see posts here talking about the HD650's, but yet the AD2000's, which is said to sound better, aren't very talked about. Kinda like a hidden gem.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll still purchase the HD650's though (I finally made that decision last night), and purchase the AD2000's later. Nothing wrong with doing that, right? The Senns are just a bit cheaper. I have it on my watch list on ebay. If anyone knows another site where they sell them cheaper than $319.00, as listed on ebay, then please tell me. I'll buy from here, but I'd rather have a new pair. I just want to upgrade from my AD700's.

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #44 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll still purchase the HD650's though (I finally made that decision last night), and purchase the AD2000's later.

Wise decision IMO. Great fons.

Dec 7, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #45 of 305
Glad to see to see more folks getting into this headphone, I got mine about 6 months ago and enjoy them very much for jazz. At them moment, using it through the maxed Woo6.

Xoen, I find it hard to say what headphone is "better", it all depends on what music you listen to and what your sonic preference is, for instance if you prefer laid back listening or a more active presentation.
The 650, I would probably prefer for classical and some vocal music, as I think the Sennheiser has a nice warmth that suits this genre, to my listening taste.
On the other hand, if you listen to instrumental music like jazz or acoustic albums, you might like the more forward mid, clear treble and airy nature of the AD2000. I wrote up my impressions in a review I did a while back, check my sig if you like to read up.

The HD650 maybe presents more opportunity to customise the sound, with defoaming and many cable options which are easily changed compared to other headphones.
IMO, they are both excellent at different things and I could see purpose for owning both.
The AD2000 does not need an amp as much as the HD650 does, but I believe even low impedance cans benefit from amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back