Got the Audio Technica AD2000
Feb 16, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #286 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i did like them as you can see in my review. These last posts i was talking about the k701 which i dont like. The ad2000s are great but I just feel they are too expensive for what they do. If the ad2000s were less than 300 dollars, they would have been more of a good value for what they do.

Oldson,
My source and amp were not that great at the time. I was using the meier headfive connected to an ipod or a samsung dvd player. Listening to this source right now against my mhdt havana dac shows that it wasnt bad though and wasnt the cause of the ad2000s faults. Also, the meier headfive was more than adequate to power the ad2000. In fact, they sounded great straight out of the ipod headphone jack.

there is more to it than just having enough "power" though, right?
my ad2k sound great from my sony dap, but nothing like they do out of my solo amp. (i expect my dac also makes a big difference)
nearly bought the k701 before gambling on the ATs.
maybe we all need six pairs of cans, and go with the one that suits our mood at the time!!!
ksc75smile.gif

is there a can out there that is perfect? i doubt it. but i guess half the fun is searching!

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #288 of 305
Quote:

so far, the hd600/equinox is my favorite can among all that I have had or heard

i guess i will have to buy either the 600 or 650 at some point!
just to see what they are like in comparison to the ad2k.
did you buy the 600 already modded, or stock?

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #289 of 305
bought them stock then got cables. To me they are better in every department against the ad2k except for bass snap and tightness. They just sound more liquid and organic to me

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #290 of 305
Quote:

bought them stock then got cables. To me they are better in every department against the ad2k except for bass snap and tightness. They just sound more liquid and organic to me

is your comparison pre or post cable mod? (or both, of course)

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #292 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Gradofan2
I am also interested in the ATH-AD2000 and wonder if you had them at the same time as your old Solo. I have the Solo with a Cyrus CD8se as a source and was hoping for any info with regards synergy. I also have AKG K701 and HD650/Equinox with a Silver Dragon V2 on the way. Thanks

The Solo is OK with the AD2000s... but... it really excels with the Senns and other high impedance phones. The Solo is not at its best with low impedance phones - though... it wasn't bad with the AD2000s.

The AD2000s are a lot like the Grados, or Denons... if you find the right amp with plenty of current output and low impedance (e.g. X-CAN v8)... and... you do the pad mod to lift the drivers from your ears... and... you complete the burn in... then the upper mids smooth out, and are not really obtrusive.

Like a lot of other phones (e.g. Denons, Senns, Grados, etc.), you'll be amazed by their sound... with the right set up. The AD2000s really are great phones... when you hear the real AD2000s.

Feb 16, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #293 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Solo is OK with the AD2000s... but... it really excels with the Senns and other high impedance phones. The Solo is not at its best with low impedance phones - though... it wasn't bad with the AD2000s.

The AD2000s are a lot like the Grados, or Denons... if you find the right amp with plenty of current output and low impedance (e.g. X-CAN v8)... and... you do the pad mod to lift the drivers from your ears... and... you complete the burn in... then the upper mids smooth out, and are not really obtrusive.

Like a lot of other phones (e.g. Denons, Senns, Grados, etc.), you'll be amazed by their sound... with the right set up. The AD2000s really are great phones... when you hear the real AD2000s.

right that settles it!
i will have to get myself a set of 600 or 650s, and hear for myself.
do you think the ad2000's may sound better on the solo with an impedence adapter?
also can you give the technical reason why the solo is better with higher imp cans?

many thanks

Feb 16, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #294 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
right that settles it!
i will have to get myself a set of 600 or 650s, and hear for myself.
do you think the ad2000's may sound better on the solo with an impedence adapter?
also can you give the technical reason why the solo is better with higher imp cans?

many thanks

I don't know... you might try an impedance adapter to see if it improves the Solo with low impedance phones.

I don't know why it doesn't do as well with those as it does with moderate to high impedance phones... but... I suspect it doesn't provide enough current to meet the current needs of low impedance phones. It makes them sound a bit rough, or harsh. Whereas... its very smooth and powerful with moderate to high impedance phones - or - it makes them sound that way. This aspect by the way was acknowledged by GS, and is apparently one reason they developed the Novo - to better match low impedance phones.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #295 of 305
Thanks for your reply, I think they need to go on my shortlist
smily_headphones1.gif

Probably look for a 2nd hand pair to avoid excessive customs
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #296 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The AKG K701 have just 64ohm impedance so I would consider them as low impedance but the Solo really maked them shine. Much prefer them to the HD650/Equinox which is why I have ordered the SD v2 cable. The Solo has plenty of power to drive them as well, normally only get up to 11 o`clock volume.

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #297 of 305
Quote:

The AKG K701 have just 64ohm impedance so I would consider them as low impedance but the Solo really maked them shine. Much prefer them to the HD650/Equinox which is why I have ordered the SD v2 cable. The Solo has plenty of power to drive them as well, normally only get up to 11 o`clock volume.

that is interesting!
my ath-ad2k are only 40 ohms, yet i never go as high as you on the volume.
9 o'clock is an absolute max, for me.
i thought the lower the impedence, the more you would need to crank it up!?
have i got this wrong?
cheers

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #298 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is interesting!
my ath-ad2k are only 40 ohms, yet i never go as high as you on the volume.
9 o'clock is an absolute max, for me.
i thought the lower the impedence, the more you would need to crank it up!?
have i got this wrong?
cheers

I think its a combination of impedance and sensitivity.
The K701 have a sensitivity of 105db and the hd650 are 103db so the K701 are slightly more efficient (I think?). I suppose its swings and roundabouts. But the Slee definatly drives the AKG`s well. According to the Graham Slee web site the Solo has a headphone impedance range: 8 to 2000 Ohms!!

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #299 of 305
It is more complicated than that. My K701's are usually more difficult to drive than my HD650s. For example, see this post.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4936765-post2.html

Quote:

I think its a combination of impedance and sensitivity.
The K701 have a sensitivity of 105db and the hd650 are 103db so the K701 are slightly more efficient (I think?). I suppose its swings and roundabouts. But the Slee definatly drives the AKG`s well. According to the Graham Slee web site the Solo has a headphone impedance range: 8 to 2000 Ohms!!

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #300 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is more complicated than that. My K701's are usually more difficult to drive than my HD650s. For example, see this post.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4936765-post2.html

I agree the K701 are slightly harder to drive than the HD650. About 11 o`clock for the AKG`S and 9 for the senn`s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back