GOT THE ATH-A1000
Dec 1, 2002 at 4:25 AM Post #46 of 137
Quote:

I would be very very surprised if the W1000/A1000's implementation of DADS is in any way different from the w2002.

From the Audio-Cubes A1000 page:
Successor model to Audio-Technica's popular ATH-A100Ti Limited Edition Art Monitor Headphones with even improved angled D.A.D.S. (Double Air Danping System) for deep bass extension and reproduction

Since DADS wasn't present (apparently) on the 100ti or the W100, it seems that they are suggesting an improvement over some other model.

The W1000 page says:
D.A.D.S. (Double Air Danping System) for deep bass extension and reproduction

Perhaps the DADS system on the A1000 is an improvement over the W2002 or the W1000, or perhaps the A100ti and the W100 have (unadvertised) DADS and that's where the improvement with the A1000 is? Or perhaps the word "improved" is BS/mistranslation on the A1000 page?
confused.gif

What do you think?

Dec 1, 2002 at 4:29 AM Post #47 of 137
As Ross Perot would say-- "I really don't have a dog in this fight". Maybe some intrepid Head-Fier can contact AT for a clarification of the differences. A lot of folks here want to know...

Mark

Dec 1, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #49 of 137
You might want to just ask him what the DADS in the A1000 is improved over.

Since the W1000 doesn't have the word "improved" in its DADS description, and the 100ti doesn't have DADS at all (AFAICT), it seems that the A1000's DADS is an improvement over something. I think we'd all like to know what it is an improvement over (hopefully the 2002).

Dec 1, 2002 at 4:46 AM Post #50 of 137
Instead, I'd ask him for someone within AT so you can talk directly. See if he has a contact. he may not, because I believe all their stuff is "gray-market" (nothing wrong with that). I think his info, if he has it will be incomplete or sketchy.

I'd try Vincent Chan I believe his name was. he was the Taiwanese AT rep that helped everyone get the W2002 a wile back. He speaks English. That, or go straight to AT in Japan.

Mark

Dec 1, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #51 of 137
Well Hmmmmm,
My next question then is amps, tried a meta 42 search on the web - I guess its a homemade job??? I am elecrically inclined so I know a little bit about op amps , class a amplifiers and such and can solder...
biggrin.gif

Is it that link to "chu moy" or is there a special link or direction you can send me to get the info / amp that would be good for both home and portable use at a halfway affordable price???
Thanks for any input on the subject
Rich
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 5:01 AM Post #54 of 137
Quote:

My next question then is amps, tried a meta 42 search on the web - I guess its a homemade job??? I am elecrically inclined so I know a little bit about op amps , class a amplifiers and such and can solder...

You should start here:
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/

Then ask questions/search in the DIY section of this forum.

Since you have some skills in this area, I would imagine that you can make yourself a nice META42 without ruining your wallet pretty easily. I had mine built by eric343 (the "E" in META42), and others have had JMT, Tangent, and maybe a couple other people build them. But, the cheapest way is to build it yourself because the labor is free.
smily_headphones1.gif

www.fixup.net sells a very nice, very portable META42 at a reasonable price as well.

Dec 1, 2002 at 5:52 AM Post #55 of 137
Heh. This reminds me of Steve Jobs's Reality Distortion Field™.
wink.gif

I look forward to your thoughts on these phones after a couple weeks, Lou!*

[size=xx-small]*Not to say that your thoughts on these phones aren't valid now, but I've noticed in my headphone purchases that virtually every new can I get has a very high (but usually short-lived) WOW! factor associated with it. I almost posted a hasty, extra-heavy praise-laden first impressions review of my recently acquired Senn HD580, but after living with it for a couple weeks my opinion of it, while still quite high, isn't anywhere near the level it was when I first got the cans and popped them on to a mix of my favorite auditioning cds.[/size]

[size=xx-small]I'll be receiving my A100Ti's on Monday.[/size]
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 6:06 AM Post #56 of 137
I hope they stay availible for a while... I want time for plenty of reviews and direct compairisons..

Dec 1, 2002 at 6:34 AM Post #58 of 137
Man, Lou, just a few weeks back you were raving about the A100Ti so much that it sounded like they absolutely the best 'phones in their price range! It's hard to imagine that the A1000 is even better by the way you describe. According to you, these cans must sound like they're in the same stratosphere as the R10, the Orpheus, and the Omega!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 7:49 AM Post #60 of 137
Lou,

Congrats on the latest purchase!! I am happy that you are so pleased with them!! I'm sure you will grow to enjoy the great sounds they produce for a while to come.

Now if only my W1000s would get here soon!!! After reading this review I want to have my mom-in-law send them out to me when I'm in NC this week visiting friends!! Makes me wish I was going back to CA more quickly to hook them up to the Melos to really get to know how great they sound!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back