got the 2004 headroom max with attenuator
Aug 30, 2004 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

tiberian

1000+ Head-Fier
its amazing, honestly i am quite surprised that its noticeably better than the prehead i had, which was very good. the max simply had more transparency, overall details and dynamics. cymbals never sounded that good before, the midrange was improved and the bass was more coherent. people should really give it a try before making those sterotypical judgements.

Aug 30, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 23
Interesting.

I thought the MOHR I just returned was damn excellent, but Id give a slight nod to the prehead. Perhaps those transformers and attenuators make the difference.

But at 3 times the cost I think id get more gains buying a new source...(which Im gonna have to do anyway since Im going to be in Europe, Lord willing).

k.s.

Aug 30, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by KShaft
Interesting.

I thought the MOHR I just returned was damn excellent, but Id give a slight nod to the prehead. Perhaps those transformers and attenuators make the difference.

But at 3 times the cost I think id get more gains buying a new source...(which Im gonna have to do anyway since Im going to be in Europe, Lord willing).

k.s.

i got the max used and it was a sweet deal. but yea 1700 (after the headfi membership discount) is a bit steep.

Aug 31, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 23
Congratulations on your purchase. Although it is a bit pricey, I think Max w/ stepped attenuator is one of the finest soild state headphone amps made today. Of course, the service by people at Headroom is also top notchy!

Aug 31, 2004 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec
Congratulations on your purchase. Although it is a bit pricey, I think Max w/ stepped attenuator is one of the finest soild state headphone amps made today. Of course, the service by people at Headroom is also top notchy!

seriously its a classy amp. always wanted to check out a headroom amp because of all those flames, and now i am a proud owner of the max.

Aug 31, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 23
The Max screams build quality like few audio equipments that I've ever used (Ray Samuels') and if you dig the sound, then you're set for good. I can take that Prehead off your hands real easily, you know
wink.gif
BTW I just thought that maybe the Max has a particular synergy with the DAC1 the way the HD650 does, hmmm

Aug 31, 2004 at 6:16 AM Post #10 of 23
i am getting good results from both of my dacs
smily_headphones1.gif
, and the prehead is back to todd for good.
by the way YTF did headroom put the input switch at the BACK of the amp? its so annoying to get around and flip it everytime i switch my sources. thats my only complain so far.

Aug 31, 2004 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 23
The switch is on the back because that way the signal traces don't have to all the way to the front of the enclosure befor they get switched. It's one of those annoying things that separate high end from consumer audio products.

Aug 31, 2004 at 1:10 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
The switch is on the back because that way the signal traces don't have to all the way to the front of the enclosure befor they get switched. It's one of those annoying things that separate high end from consumer audio products.

tyll replied to my thread
eek.gif
, anyway thanks for the clarification and you guys should be proud of the new module, its really fantastic.

Aug 31, 2004 at 2:47 PM Post #13 of 23
Did you get a chance to listen to the older module? If so, how does it compare with the new one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiberian
tyll replied to my thread
eek.gif
, anyway thanks for the clarification and you guys should be proud of the new module, its really fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back