got the 2004 headroom max with attenuator
Aug 31, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Now I want a meet just to see what these new Headroom amp guts are all about.

I sent in my V2 HeadRoom Max last week for the upgrade, so it will be around for some future SoCal meet.

--Andre

Sep 1, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiberian
its amazing, honestly i am quite surprised that its noticeably better than the prehead i had, which was very good. the max simply had more transparency, overall details and dynamics. cymbals never sounded that good before, the midrange was improved and the bass was more coherent. people should really give it a try before making those sterotypical judgements.

Congrats man you got yourself a mighty fine amp there!

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Sep 1, 2004 at 1:08 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
The switch is on the back because that way the signal traces don't have to all the way to the front of the enclosure befor they get switched. It's one of those annoying things that separate high end from consumer audio products.

I think a better solution would be an input switch up front with a rod that connects it to the rear (ala Ray Samuels Stealth). This would require more parts, and possibly an enclosure redesign, which would ultimately lead to a higher cost however. The current setup is definitely better than a "cheap" preamp method of routing the inputs up front though! (I can vouch for that after some issues because my MG Head's power switch which is routed all the way to the front).

I would love to hear the new HeadRoom module, it's said to be a very nice step up.

Kinda sad that the HeadRoom forum is gone, however I definitely know the reasons behind it. Nice to hear from you Tyll.

Any updates on the HeadRoom tube gear? All these gushing impressions of the Wheatfield HA-2 from recent meets makes me long for similar stuff
wink.gif

Watch out though, SinglePower seems to have taken the tubed headamp market by the b... Well let's just say they're the tube amps to beat right now at their price range.

-dd3mon

Sep 1, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #21 of 23
The max is the best amp I've heard for neutral bottomless unbelievably punchy black bass and overall good sound. Well, the blockhead is an exception but it's essentially just two maxes and is like a max but with more detail and even faster bass.

Enjoy. That's one incredible amp, and definitely puts upgraditis to a standstill!

Cheers,
Geek

Sep 1, 2004 at 1:15 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dd3mon
Watch out though, SinglePower seems to have taken the tubed headamp market by the b... Well let's just say they're the tube amps to beat right now at their price range.

-dd3mon

Thats funny, I've never heard of singlepower outside of head-fi. I think its a general misconception that head-fi is the headphone market heh.

Biggie.

Sep 1, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Thats funny, I've never heard of singlepower outside of head-fi. I think its a general misconception that head-fi is the headphone market heh.

Biggie.

This is true. I'd say the headphone amp market outside of Head-Fi is pretty much dominated by HeadRoom. I know that Head-Fi accounts for only a small fraction of HeadRoom's business. Tubed headphone amps I'd guess have a pretty limited audience (as no one makes them with the media presence that HeadRoom has, except for some popular integrateds). ASL probably sells the most dedicated tubed headphone amps in the lower price bracket.

As the "market" I was incorrectly referring to fully informed consumers, who know all their options. This is definitely not true of market as a whole (in nearly ANY type of consumer product) - but I think there is definitely something to being the best for the money for those who really know the competition.

So, no, I'm sure SinglePower does not have a large market share in the tubed headphone amp business as a whole. However, they do probably have the poll position in sound for the money to informed consumers.

-dd3mon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back