Got some six-packs abs, but why do I still have a big belly if I don't contract my ab
Oct 1, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #17 of 30
I started dieting/exercising mainly to get rid of my jelly belly. (I have one of those weird bodies where your arms and legs stay skinny while your middle area balloons) I would say another 10lbs or so and I'll be able to see my abs without sucking my gut. (They're actually quite nice) Since I started my fairly loose health regime, I've become stronger, more energetic, and my mind is much more focused. Too bad I'm still a short, ugly, pretzel-loving person.

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a related question: Even though I have only just enough fat on my body to cover my ribs, I still have a saggy gut that is (IMO) far too large. Is there something wrong with me? Anywhere on the rest of my body, I barely have enough fat to pinch with a pair of pliers!

I used to be exactly the same. Stick skinny arms and legs but a fairly large gut despite jogging/biking three times a week. I've completely changed my diet a year ago by eliminating junk...no more sugar soft drinks, candy, greasy foods, etc. I've actually never had a single bite of candy in over a year. I've also increased my workouts by jogging faster and longer and adding in upper body exercises including situps.
It definately made a difference. I've lost 20% of my body weight and my gut is now almost flat. However, there is still a layer of fat that I can't seem to get rid of that is prevent the six pack look.
frown.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to be exactly the same. Stick skinny arms and legs but a fairly large gut despite jogging/biking three times a week. I've completely changed my diet a year ago by eliminating junk...no more sugar soft drinks, candy, greasy foods, etc. I've actually never had a single bite of candy in over a year. I've also increased my workouts by jogging faster and longer and adding in upper body exercises including situps.
It definately made a difference. I've lost 20% of my body weight and my gut is now almost flat. However, there is still a layer of fat that I can't seem to get rid of that is prevent the six pack look.
frown.gif

I have this .pdf with a lot of great bodyweight exercises, including ones that target abs, if you want it. My abs have gotten a tad better since I started doing them.

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have this .pdf with a lot of great bodyweight exercises, including ones that target abs, if you want it. My abs have gotten a tad better since I started doing them.

I wouldn't mind having that.

My gut really bugs me because I am not lazy. I exercise all the time, I never overeat, and I only rarely have any candy or soft drinks. And yet, it persists. To tell you the truth, I don't actually even have that much fat around my midsection... it's really more like all of my insides are sagging outward, making my gut bulge out.

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #21 of 30
Oct 1, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice link! I'm going to add that to my workout.

probably the most likely problem for the OP. Most people don't even realize there are muscles deep to the '6 pack' abs. The transverse abdominus (TA) acts as your own natural weight belt by acting as a sling covering your abdomen. I find it funny when I see big guys at the gym with 6 packs but with a slightly protruding abdomen and they're always using a weight belt.

Oct 1, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #23 of 30
We are all different, and the guys in pictures are crème de la crème of male bodies in the first place.

I doubt I can have six pack ever unless I really starve and exercise to death, I tend to collect fat under the skin. When I lost almost 30kg with dieting my wife started complaining me disappearing but still I was not skinny. Afterwards I started exercising to gain some muscle but it does not change the fact that don't look muscular in the middle body, hands and legs is a different thing.

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by sage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
probably the most likely problem for the OP. Most people don't even realize there are muscles deep to the '6 pack' abs. The transverse abdominus (TA) acts as your own natural weight belt by acting as a sling covering your abdomen. I find it funny when I see big guys at the gym with 6 packs but with a slightly protruding abdomen and they're always using a weight belt.

That's exactly my problem. So, those big guys, with 6 packs and protruding belly, problem is that they don't exercise the Transverse Abdominus with the http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ms-fit5.htm (from Tuhnu)?

Can you really get flat belly with 6 packs without having to contract the muscles in order for it to look flat? I thought that those people on the magazine must have contracted their abs, in order to look flat and defined (after a good lighting too of course).

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its terrible y'all and myself don't conform to the images with which we are bombarded. That human beings have different, natural, body types is irrelevant.

Our military/industrial/commercial state prefers the Ideal Form, and those who do not conform will be regulated to perpetual cubicles--or middle management positions. The purchase of iPods, Bose, and _________ will alleviate much of the anxiety--but not eliminate it--as our collective consciousness must not fall below the minimum-set FUD standard.
confused.gif

That said, get yourself some liposuction.

I may not have brad pitt's 6 packs, but I could try and see how far I'd go. At least, I have something to strive for. :wink: I don't use ipods nor bose. I have a beyer880 with a free mp3player from OD.

Oct 2, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #27 of 30
In males, the fat layer builds up on the gut. Crunches will basically do nothing to help this; only lowering the percentage of body fat will allow the 6-pack to show through. Start running or biking a lot and get the heart rate up!
580smile.gif

Edit: Also, try Patrick's method of weightlifting with cables; I'm sure it will work wonders
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #28 of 30
I am interested in diet plan.
Anyone who has bigger belly than his chest would love to have that.

But the instruction like "eat healthy" alone is too general and is not really helping. We all know the principle, but how to achive that in what way?

Is there any specific diet instruction that can boost energy and lower body fat? Something like an example of diet plan?

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #29 of 30
Agree with Ken36, DNA plays a huge role. Diet and exercise can do only so much, your genetics dictate the rest. Nobody is fat free, and depending on where your body stores it, you may never be able to get rid of that last layer covering the 6pack. Frustrating as hell for those looking for the elusive hollywood 6pack (Hollywood loves lipo, btw
wink.gif
), but life ain't fair.

I have a layer of fat over my abs almost as thick as the Earth's crust. It's purely genetic, I swear
icon10.gif

Reminds of an old Honeymooners episode where Ralph asks Ed what kind of build he has and Ed says something to the effect of "You have a very nice build, excellent bone structure, excellent muscle tone, all covered in fat"
tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #30 of 30
Dieting is easy in principle, the weight gain/loss is just the difference in calories in versus calories out.

I got inspired to lose weight by reading The Hacker's Diet. Before that I always thought it as too difficult and inconvenient. I recommend reading that if you are really interested. It works just fine, just as theory tells you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back