Got some news about Corda Cantate
Aug 1, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #76 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jan
How much less power does the Cantate have compared to the Opera?

Yea, i'll like to see the <technical details> page for Cantate like for other Amp
eek.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #78 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at just over $500, i suspect this new amp will be a big seller. people will be very interested in the balanced ground concept.

Is this the same thing that is so paraised in the Opera?

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #80 of 121
Yes !!

It was not 15 min ago, Jan work late, midnight here in France and Germany
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by technetium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the <technical details> page is there now.... Fetch

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #81 of 121
What this mean "Internally selectable gain settings.Gain factors -9 and +8 dB." ?? gain switch or i misunderstand
confused.gif
confused.gif

"Sure, not everbody will like the looks of the CANTATE, but the full-metal enclosure is far from the conventional box design that characterizes most other amps."

Well not sure, for me this is the most beautiful Amp i saw from all pics i could find here (with Aria & Opera) Only Ray Samuels have a better look (to me taste)
cool.gif

Aug 2, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #83 of 121
Looks like this might become the stationary breakthrough version of what Move has been for portable - cheaper, better, more features! Can't wait for reviews, and I am also curious about the driving capability seeing the the power is listed as half of the Opera, which reportedly only barely drives the 600 ohm beyers adequately... From the specs it does seem like the DAC is much less ambitious than in the Opera. Time will tell..

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #84 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One half the output of the Opera. This may not be enough for the AKG 701.

Can you explain that to a newbie like me ?

On Opera manual i see :
-Maximal amplification (1 kHz): -5 / 8 dB

and on Cantate page i see :
-Gain factors -9 and +8 dB

Both goes at gain of 8 dB, no ?
blink.gif

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #85 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by lerio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you explain that to a newbie like me ?

On Opera manual i see :
-Maximal amplification (1 kHz): -5 / 8 dB

and on Cantate page i see :
-Gain factors -9 and +8 dB

Both goes at gain of 8 dB, no ?
blink.gif

Cantate: Maximum output 13V / 250 mA

Opera: Maximum output 13V / 500 mA.

(I am no expert, I do not know if the relationship between the output and perceived loudness in headphones is linear, in fact I doubt it is, but indeed it would seem that the Cantate is "half as powerful as the Opera")

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #86 of 121
I see, someone here can confirm if that mean Cantate will have half capacity of drive a headphone or half loudness vs Opera so ?
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flasken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cantate: Maximum output 13V / 250 mA

Opera: Maximum output 13V / 500 mA.

(I am no expert, I do not know if the relationship between the output and perceived loudness in headphones is linear, in fact I doubt it is, but indeed it would seem that the Cantate is "half as powerful as the Opera")

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #87 of 121
The way I'm reading the info is there's an internal gain jumper in the Cantate (external on Opera). At the high gain setting the amps output the same dB. At low gain position the Cantante will have a bit more gain the Opera.

Besides the DAC differences, it appears the Opera is double buffered whereas Cantate is single buffered. Is this an accurate reading Jan?

Aug 2, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #88 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The way I'm reading the info is there's an internal gain jumper in the Cantate (external on Opera). At the high gain setting the amps output the same dB. At low gain position the Cantante will have a bit more gain the Opera.

Look like a possbile answer to my question "What this mean "Internally selectable gain settings.Gain factors -9 and +8 dB." ?? gain switch or i misunderstand"
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #89 of 121
Dear Headfellows,

Actually there is a small mistake at the technical section. The maximum amplification factor of the CANTATE is +6 dB only. It will be corrected with the next update.

However, in combination with a regular 2V source this is enough to drive any headphone currently on the market to insane levels. Honestly!

Only if used in combination with a source with low output voltages (portables) may the sound level not be adequate for the real headbangers. But always remember that this amp was designed as a stationary device to be used with stationary sources.

Higher amplification factors (maximum gain) generally result in increased distortion and background noise. A medium level amplification factor simply results in a better sound.

The ARIA has a gain factor very similar to that of the CANTATE and yet nobody really complained except for the output level obtained through the USB-DAC. However, this has been corrected with the CANTATE. Output through USB will be substantially higher than before.

Note 1 : With the ARIA there was a small drop in gain when the crossfeed filter was activated. Many people interpreted the sonic results as a small loss in detail, not of sound level. With the CANTATE the gain in stereo mode is the same as the gain with crossfeed activated. In stereomode the maximum gain of the ARIA is slightly higher than that of the CANTATE. In Crossfeed mode they're the same.

Note 2 : Inside the CANTATE has 3 double post that can be short-circuited by post shunts. If done so the gain factor will be reduced to -9.7 dB. This is extremely helpfull if high efficient headphones are used (IEMs) as it will improve volume control and reduce background noise. For technical reasons (and for reasons of costs) this was not implemented as a switch that allows to select gain externally.

Note 3 : User-manual can now be downloaded!

Cheers

Jan

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #90 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ARIA has a gain factor very similar to that of the CANTATE and yet nobody really complained except for the output level obtained through the USB-DAC. However, this has been corrected with the CANTATE. Output through USB will be substantially higher than before.

Good !

Quote:

Note 1 : With the ARIA there was a small drop in gain when the crossfeed filter was activated. Many people interpreted the sonic results as a small loss in detail, not of sound level. With the CANTATE the gain in stereo mode is the same as the gain with crossfeed activated. In stereomode the maximum gain of the ARIA is slightly higher than that of the CANTATE. In Crossfeed mode they're the same.

GOOD !!

Quote:

Note 2 : Inside the CANTATE has 3 double post that can be short-circuited by post shunts. If done so the gain factor will be reduced to -9.7 dB. This is extremely helpfull if high efficient headphones are used (IEMs) as it will improve volume control and reduce background noise.

GOOOOD !!! will be Great with my RS-1 !!!

Quote:

Note 3 : User-manual can now be downloaded!

Got this error when open it (latest version of Adobe Reader just downloaded
confused.gif
snag0001ee8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back