Got myself a root canal today!
Jun 12, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #16 of 27
My root canal killed. Not at first, but after he actually started pulling out pieces of the nerve itself. It was like someone was taking a nail and ramming it up into my gums, repeatedly. Then, the Novocaine wore off before the end, and I kept flinching, but all he could say is "squeeze my arm if it hurts". When I squeezed and went "ahhh!" he was like "okay, allllmost done..."

But congrats on your good root canal.
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My root canal killed. Not at first, but after he actually started pulling out pieces of the nerve itself. It was like someone was taking a nail and ramming it up into my gums, repeatedly. Then, the Novocaine wore off before the end, and I kept flinching, but all he could say is "squeeze my arm if it hurts". When I squeezed and went "ahhh!" he was like "okay, allllmost done..."

But congrats on your good root canal.
wink.gif

He didn't use enough novacaine man. I had enough that he just poked around in there pulling out the nerve and I didn't feel a thing.

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #18 of 27
Yeah, I just had a root canal and didnt feel a thing. And it was a big molar, too. The whole thing depends of your dentist's abilities to deliver anesthetic efficiently and properly. If his technique is crappy, you'll feel it. With proper anesthetic the experience is truly "painless:.

Jun 12, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #20 of 27
I had one a few years back. It was nothing. It took a few hours, but, there was almost zero pain after the novocaine wore off. Took a couple aspirin and was fine the next day. I hope yours ends up like that, too.

Jun 12, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #21 of 27
i had a bad root canal done, the nerves werent compleatly cleaned out, they didnt fill the roots well, the crown was oversized and cracked 2 more teeth, and now i have to have the crown removed becuase the tooth rotted and replace it with a dental implant, if i find that damn dentist again, im going to remove his tooth to make the implant....

Jun 12, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #22 of 27
My previous dentist was terrible. I had one cavity filled, and I have to say, it was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. Felt like someone was trying to cut off my nerve with a rusty pair of left-handed Crayola scissors.

I went to a new dentist yesterday.

He took X-Rays, and did a checkup. He stuck a tiny digital camera in my mouth and took shots of my teeth. There is a flat panel computer monitor that he pulls up right over the patient chair, and showed me pictures of all my teeth. He showed me a cavity I had on my molars. He then asked if I wanted to go ahead and get it filled today.

So I lay back down in the chair, and he asked me what TV show I wanted to watch. He turned on Seinfeld, as there is a flat panel television on the ceiling, pointing down to the patient chair. Oh, and did I mention that the chair is just as comfortable as my leather La-Z-Boy at home? So anyways, he then completely killed all the feeling in the left side of my mouth. He drilled and filled the cavity within 10 minutes while I was watching the Friar's Club episode of Seinfeld. I didn't feel a thing. I even laughed a few times during the whole procedure, but blame Kramer for that one.

Best dentist experience I've had yet.

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #23 of 27
Well most of the dental patients who needed root canal treatment will do fine as long as they get their treatment within a reasonable time period. You do hear some isolated incidents about how terrible their root canal treatment went bad with lots of pain involved. But those patients usually wait and wait and wait........ until they can no longer can stand the pain with lots of swelling in their mouth due to the severe infection. Then you seek the dental care with active infection with severe pain already been for about couple weeks or longer. At this stage of active infection, local anesthetic used by dentist doesn't usually works well due to their low pH level around the abscess. It is this kind of experience that some patients experienced where horrible "root canal treatment" stories came around and spreaded like a wild fire to other patients scaring them. And also even though root canal treatments are very successful procedure in most part but they do fail some, causing patient to loose the tooth. Your best chance to get pleasant dental treatment is to get regular check up and not wait until problem arises. Early treatment before it gets worse and preventive measure is your best road to healthy overall dental condition. So go get your regular check up from your dentist.

Jun 13, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #24 of 27
you;re so lucky if you feel no pain when having a root canal, i remember mine, it send shivers all over my body, when the doctor touch the nerve, it feels like she touch my brain as well....definitely not a pleasant experience
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #25 of 27
I have a filling on a root canal tooth that’s been slowly (and now quickly) falling out and I can’t stop poking at it with my tongue even though I know it’s bad. But I’m still paying off my last crown so I don’t know what going to the dentist will accomplish!

My dentist: you need a crown

Me: yes, I know

Dentist: you need it now

Me: I know? But I still don’t have the thousands of dollars to pay for it?

Dentist: you need a crown NOW!

Me: ....

Oh ok since it’s an emergency, I magically have more money lol

It’s also like... I can’t afford it, but it’s extremely painful, so I know I will have to do something about it sooner rather than later

Absolutely mysterious how a tooth whose root nerve has been removed can still hurt so much.

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #27 of 27
I was thinking the same thing about France's healthcare. ?

I had a root canal a few years ago. Actually, I had the same root canal twice.
I had a filling that had been falling out for about ten years. Finally, it came out completely and was excruciatingly painful... Probably because my tooth was rotting from the inside. Oops! Thankfully, they were able to save the tooth. Almost entirely painless, except for the once or twice that evil looking drill bit breached the tooth and went into my jaw bone. All in all, I remember lying there thinking, "you know, this is a lot better than being at work." I think the worst part was that it took so long. On the upside, I got to leave work early twice.

The crown never quite felt right, though, and whenever I'd chew on the right side it'd feel like the tooth was wobbling in my gum. Lo and behold, about a year later I got something like a strawberry seed stuck up there and it was just mind-bendingly painful. Went back to the dentist and they sent me to an endodontist, who did a 3D scan of my tooth and discovered a fourth root. Antibiotics, prescription ibuprofen, and a week later had the re-canal done. I think the most memorable part of that procedure was that the doctor liked my shoes.
I think this is the first time I've really thought about it since I had the surgery a couple years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back