Got my Triple.fi 10s...not good. Did I get a fake or malfunctioning product?!
Dec 12, 2009 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

loopsider

100+ Head-Fier
EDIT: I guess the Vi cable isn't playing well with my speaker headphone output. Sound is as described when used straight to the soundcard, however, still not a fan of it. Not enough bass, too much high bass.

First of all, I have almost no reason to believe these are fakes. But the sound is downright terrible. I own a pair of SR225s, Shure E2c, and Phonak PFEs so I was expecting the Triple Fi to be at least on-par with what I'm used. Not so.

Dec 12, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 39
If you bought the TF10 because you heard of detailed Treble Highs, and your not hearing them. Are you using the Foam tips? The Highs changed alot for me when I went from the small silicone to the small comply tips.
I was able to listen with the EQ flat or off, I just got the Comply's today, and I have the 16KHz up 6-9:dB. Also have 31 & 62 Hz up 3-4:dB.
Have no Idea why your bass is too much when I'm tryin to find more.
If you have to tune your EQ to make em sound good, no harm in that. Dont use your media player to adjust the EQ (FooBar2000, Winamp, WMP) if you can, use the control panel for "sound" to up the Treble. If you adjust using the player, it may slightly distort the music which will be less enjoyable.

Dec 12, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 39
When I got my TF10 the first thing I noticed was the extremely clean and vivid highs. The bass was something I could turn a couple of notches up, but overall the clarity of the sound is amazing. Did you get them from the Amazon 99$ blowout sale?

Dec 12, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 39
I get them from an amazon ebay reseller with 100% feedback. I'll be messaging to see if they can provide proof they bought it from amazon. But I have no reason to suspect they are fakes, everything looks pretty legit, there's even the colored filters inside. My only other theory is that something is wrong with the drivers or that's just how they sound.

I think my speaker's headphone jack was just not happy with the Vi cable, though its beyond bizarre since it would have reverse the stereo polarity or put out mono sound, not EQ the sound?!

Tried it on my iPhone and Clip, its a fair amount better with the highs. I'm still getting a pronounced high bass low mids. Not much real bass, just high bass. Its just not wowing me coming from the PFEs if that's how they are supposed to sound. Its a weird coloration, not "fun," but incredibly inconsistent.

The sound just doesn't sound well-engineered. My Grados, while colored sound balanced enough to listen to a variety of music. My PFEs with either filter have their distinct sound, but are still versatile. The triple Fis just can't keep up. Waayyy too colored and all over the place where it emphasizes.

I guess consider this thread closed, i'll keep discussing this on the other disappointed Triple Fi owners thread.

Dec 12, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 39
Firstly I must say I've not tried UEs TF10s, but I do own some SFP5s and SF3S and all I can say is that they are pants compared to to my SR125s.

Admittedly my SR125s have been modded by myself (woodied, cables etc, not much difference TBH), but I just think comparing an IEM to a decent quality full size can is hopeless.

In summary, I'm not surprised by your findings, and your TFs look legit.

My motto: "There's replacement for displacement"

IMO of course!!!
beerchug.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 39
Those seem legit to me, anyhow did you try using the foam tips? I could not get a proper fit with any of the black silicon ones and the sound was very thin and boring. However, with the foam the sound is much improved but its a bit muffled and the bass is overwhelming. I settled with double flange silicon tips from my RE2. This helped thin out the bass a bit and adds soundstage since it places the drivers further from the ear canals.

What's your sound source btw? Mine sounded like crap on my friend's Compal laptop, but it was very good with my Acer (no noise even with full volume with nothing paying).

Dec 12, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopsider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get them from an amazon ebay reseller with 100% feedback. I'll be messaging to see if they can provide proof they bought it from amazon. But I have no reason to suspect they are fakes, everything looks pretty legit, there's even the colored filters inside. My only other theory is that something is wrong with the drivers or that's just how they sound.

I think my speaker's headphone jack was just not happy with the Vi cable, though its beyond bizarre since it would have reverse the stereo polarity or put out mono sound, not EQ the sound?!

Tried it on my iPhone and Clip, its a fair amount better with the highs. I'm still getting a pronounced high bass low mids. Not much real bass, just high bass. Its just not wowing me coming from the PFEs if that's how they are supposed to sound. Its a weird coloration, not "fun," but incredibly inconsistent.

The sound just doesn't sound well-engineered. My Grados, while colored sound balanced enough to listen to a variety of music. My PFEs with either filter have their distinct sound, but are still versatile. The triple Fis just can't keep up. Waayyy too colored and all over the place where it emphasizes.

I guess consider this thread closed, i'll keep discussing this on the other disappointed Triple Fi owners thread.

beware, it might be B stock which failed QC test, somehow went to black market for resale. We all know 10 pro are manufactured by China.......

Dec 12, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Admittedly my SR125s have been modded by myself (woodied, cables etc, not much difference TBH), but I just think comparing an IEM to a decent quality full size can is hopeless.

Can't say I agree with you there. I just received my RE0 today, and I'm pleased by how close they sound to my MS1 and A700 in terms of detail, compared to my SF3S.

OP should look into getting a proper fit.

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beware, it might be B stock which failed QC test, somehow went to black market for resale. We all know 10 pro are manufactured by China.......

Wow. How can I tell? I didn't mind spending the money or losing it if they are bad products, but if this is the case I'd like to know.

Source was a Creative X-Fi soundcard, it sounds great on my other headphones so I don't know if it is that.

Could the Vi cable have anything to do with it either? It sounds better on an iPhone.

Quote:

but I just think comparing an IEM to a decent quality full size can is hopeless.

The PFE isn't too far off fromy my Grados though. They sound different, but they are just as versatile and easy to listen to. I've just read too many people saying the Triple Fi is a step up from the PFE, which for me its only a step up from the Shure E2c's...To be honest, I'd be crying if I payed 400$ for these.

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't say I agree with you there. I just received my RE0 today, and I'm pleased by how close they sound to my MS1 and A700 in terms of detail, compared to my SF3S.

OP should look into getting a proper fit.

Personally, I just think IEMs are inferior when it comes to listening enjoyment when compared to most decent full sized cans, mainly because of their lack of sound stage (something I find important), and bearing in mind I'm talking about listening in an a quiet environment, like my home, not the tube where the isolation of IEMs is obviously more important.

IEMs are always missing the bottom in my experience. Like when you're listening to a live rock album, the dirty rowdy atmosphere is always short of something.

My Grados are OK IMO, but I still preffer cranking up my speakers when the neighbours aren't in bed
biggrin.gif

I think I just have a low opinion of UEs cans TBH. From personal experience, and for the money I really don't think they are worth it. A friend of mine has some d-jays and they sound so much nicer than my all my UEs IMO.

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #13 of 39
Don't be afraid. It's not fakes. Triple are muffled at first listening. Where is the clarity i thought after compairing them to ety 4p, but after 4 days they became perfect. Imaging is great, mids are cool too, but treble is harsh a little bit/ Gibe them a few days (for your ears to adapt to them) & then decide!

Dec 13, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by silentmeloud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't be afraid. It's not fakes. Triple are muffled at first listening. Where is the clarity i thought after compairing them to ety 4p, but after 4 days they became perfect. Imaging is great, mids are cool too, but treble is harsh a little bit/ Gibe them a few days (for your ears to adapt to them) & then decide!

That's what's so weird, I found out what the problem was but the natural sound of them are muffled yet shrill. My problem is with the bass, its just not as tight and seperate from everything else like my PFEs.

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopsider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what's so weird, I found out what the problem was but the natural sound of them are muffled yet shrill. My problem is with the bass, its just not as tight and seperate from everything else like my PFEs.

I feel your pain man. What kind of music do you listen to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back