got my tabless Neutrik combo jack, help me decide!!
May 14, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #16 of 24
why not have another LED where the jack is currently plotted to be and then mount whichever jack you like centrally? Have knob-led-jack-led-knob for the faceplate?

and personally, I like the look of the neutrik better.

May 14, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by morsel
The Neutrik combo jack operates smoothly but looks hideous. I would go with the CUI jack as it looks much better and also operates smoothly. The Neutrik jack with the visible big flat metal spring contacts requires strong incremental insertion and removal force. The red tab Neutrik that is so popular requires extreme and sometimes painful thumb pressure on the red tab to withdraw the plug (or a really strong yank gets it out anyway despite the locking mechanism), and I have seen one fall apart completely.

Agreed on all counts. I've built two PPA's, one with the CUI jack and one with the red tab Neutrik, and I much prefer the CUI jack. The Neutrik is a huge PITA.

May 15, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #19 of 24
I like both, but I like the Neutrik combo better.

May 15, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #20 of 24
I like the regular jack. It gives a much cleaner and classier look. Not nearly as cluttered.

May 15, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Plus you could use flathead black screws and c'sink them.

ya, im not too worried about the screws.
Quote:

The Neutrik combo jack operates smoothly but looks hideous. I would go with the CUI jack as it looks much better and also operates smoothly. The Neutrik jack with the visible big flat metal spring contacts requires strong incremental insertion and removal force. The red tab Neutrik that is so popular requires extreme and sometimes painful thumb pressure on the red tab to withdraw the plug (or a really strong yank gets it out anyway despite the locking mechanism), and I have seen one fall apart completely.

this i gota agree with you, the Neutrik combo is a well built jack, but becasue it's a combo jack, it has more contect pins inside the jack, when i unplug 1/4" plugs, those extra pins moves freely and makes a slightly "flimsy" noise, which is slightly bugging me.
Quote:

I think you have a winner with the NMJ6HHD2. I like the clean look it'll leave. Black and symmetrical. If only it could glow like your led...

i agree, now i just gota wait for my free sample NMJ6HHD2 to come
tongue.gif

Quote:

why not have another LED where the jack is currently plotted to be and then mount whichever jack you like centrally? Have knob-led-jack-led-knob for the faceplate?

good idea, however im trying to make the faceplat as clean as possible, 2 LEDs a little overdone IMO

May 15, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #22 of 24
I will elaborate on my comment regarding the NMJ6HHD2 since I didn't explicitly refer to the part number in my previous post but rather called it "the Neutrik jack with the visible big flat metal spring contacts". This jack requires strong incremental insertion and removal force to push past each of those flat springs. It does not operate smoothly like the CUI jack.

May 16, 2004 at 5:39 AM Post #23 of 24
I have a Rean 1/4" jack which is very similar to the second Neutrik one (same kind of contacts, different kind of washer). I'm not crazy about the design. Those metal springs push down hard and are in the way of the plug. When you plug it in, you need to push hard to get the plug to push the clips up. Probably gives a good contact, but I don't like it compared to the jack on my IC FET, which doesn't require as much pressure.

What about getting a LED holder? It would make the LED clsoer in size to the jack.

Or get a second jack and mount the LED in it.

May 17, 2004 at 3:20 PM Post #24 of 24
thanks for the info morsel and taylor,
those contact springs sure dont look soft, however i dont plug/unplug my phones often. the silver ring on the CUI dosent bother me at all, i dont see CUI SJ-6303G jack on digikey, where did you guys get yours?
Quote:

What about getting a LED holder? It would make the LED clsoer in size to the jack.

well..im trying to keep everything as simple as possible, nothing fancy. i actually like the simple look of a LED-in-a-hold, as long as it dosent stick out of the hole
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back