got my tabless Neutrik combo jack, help me decide!!
May 14, 2004 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

ProFingerSk8er

Headphoneus Supremus
some of you might remember my thread on cool-looking jacks <link > from a few weeks back.
i was having trouble finding Neutrik jacks without the metal push-tab, doobooloo metion it wasnt possible to get the tabless verson in the US. he was right, after countless hours of search i was about to give up.
then i email Neutrik USA requesting for an sample, the salesmen/saleswomen was extremely nice and helpful. after a week i got a tabless combo jack in the mail free of charge
biggrin.gif

1.jpg

this jack looks very cool, fully plastic body but dosen't look cheap. plugs fits tightly with a loud click
here are a few more pictures:
http://img37.photobucket.com/albums/.../keutrik/5.jpg
http://img37.photobucket.com/albums/.../keutrik/4.jpg
http://img37.photobucket.com/albums/.../keutrik/3.jpg
http://img37.photobucket.com/albums/.../keutrik/2.jpg

now here's the problem, now i realized this jack wont look very symmetrical on my current on-going DIY amp, i havnt order the enclosure yet, but i know exactly what i want. like usual, i have made a 3d model to advoid any mistakes.
this is where i need you guys' help
icon10.gif
should i forget about being symmetrical and use this jack? or should i do with a "hole-type" jack to balance out the LED hole?

should i.....

Stick with Neutrik combo:
scaled_face_plate_with_combo_jack.jpg

or...

go with a smaller, more "hidden" jack?
scaled_face_plate_with_hidden_jack.jpg

any input would be greatly appreciated it

May 14, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 24
Man, love the graphics =). Got the led shine and everything! I think the neutrik jack fills in the space of your large faceplate rather nicely. And seeing as you already went through so much trouble to get the jack, you might as well use it. (on the other hand, I'd be glad to take the jack off your hands if you don't use it
evil_smiley.gif
>wink< )

May 14, 2004 at 5:59 AM Post #8 of 24
thanks for the input guys, looks like more people perfer the Neutrik.
it's a really cool-looking jack and i agree very much with MooseyDoom that the jack fills up the extra space on the pannel nicely.

ufokillerz, i have thought of that when browsing through pictures of Larocco PPAs, but of course the price isnt cheap and the pannel will have to be thick enough.

any more inputs would be great, the more the better
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2004 at 12:55 PM Post #10 of 24
I like the Neutrik, but don't care much for the mounting screws. Is your panel thick enough for blind threaded pockets from the backside? You could do that with a bottoming fine-threaded tap if it is 0.125 or so thick perhaps.

The other choice would be cool also, but preferably if the hollow shank was black and not chrome.

Nice rendering work also!

edit: Oops, I see that UFO has proposed the same idea. Check into it, man.

May 14, 2004 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 24
Another vote here for the Neutrik one, preferably without the screws just as some people described before. The fact that this can be discussed....man those pictures are brilliant!

May 14, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 24
the pannels i will be using wont be thick enough for back-side mounting, but i can always custom order thicker pannels
rolleyes.gif

in fact i dont think the screws would be too bad, being a ex-R/C fan, i can get quality black hex screws to screw on the jack.

Quote:

The other choice would be cool also, but preferably if the hollow shank was black and not chrome

i was looking at this CUI jacks when i did the rendering
getimage.asp

chrome connector with black plastic, half-threaded which allows me to hide the nut and washer behine the pannel.

went back to Neutrik's website and found the NMJ6HHD2
210_95121.jpg

fully black and also half-threaded, searched around and found only mourse carries this jack, but none-stocked and it will take 3 weeks if you do order from them.
emailed Neutrik USA again
tongue.gif
, their marketing assistant Cathy replyed after 6 hours and said my free sample jack will ship next week when it's in stock
eek.gif
[size=xx-small]*now THAT's customer support*[/size]
so ya.... fully black is possible

Quote:

What is the part number of that jack?

NCJ6FI-H-0 , http://www.neutrikusa.com/content/pr...elid=204_57051

May 14, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #14 of 24
The Neutrik combo jack operates smoothly but looks hideous. I would go with the CUI jack as it looks much better and also operates smoothly. The Neutrik jack with the visible big flat metal spring contacts requires strong incremental insertion and removal force. The red tab Neutrik that is so popular requires extreme and sometimes painful thumb pressure on the red tab to withdraw the plug (or a really strong yank gets it out anyway despite the locking mechanism), and I have seen one fall apart completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back