Got My Sony's
Nov 10, 2001 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

chych

The butter knife's second victim.
Just got my Sony CD3000s from an ebay auction I, by some strange stroke of luck, won
smily_headphones1.gif

Very interesting headphones... big yet comfortable, closed yet extremely open (in both isolation and sound leakage) and so far a pretty good sound. Sounds just fine out of my MG Head, don't know why others have been complaining (sounds better out of the MG Head than my Apheared 47).

I'm not going to talk much about the sound now... I mean, yeah its good of course... Gotta let my ears break into them or something... the new toy hype and all...

I'll have to compare these to my etys very thoroughly someday...

Nov 11, 2001 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 12
Yes the Sony CD3000 is a Class A headphone set, capable of extreme detail retrieval, has much more treble energy than
Senn HD600 so some material may sound bright through CD3000.
Of course if you have warm sounding amp you may like CD3000
for all types of music.

I use CD3000 for all classical music listening, before when listening with Senn HD600/Red Jaspis I thought it can't get much better, but the CD3000 lifts a viel and retrieves fine details the Senn HD600 cannot, a real revelation. Because of recording techniques used classical music can be more detailed without being bright. For most rock/alt type music however I prefer Senn HD600/Red Jaspis (or Grado SR325), as the CD3000 can become too detailed/bright.......some may like this effect but to me it is not natural/musical. I like the single cord from one side, and phones are comfortable, look high quality.

I use CD3000 with 120 ohm output of Corda amp, Senn HD600
uses 0 ohm output.

Nov 11, 2001 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 12
Congratulations, chych. You got yourself a great product. I didnt' regret spending about $450 for mine, they are pretty worth it.

I still get the occasional "Sony sucks" comment from friends now and then, but when they listen to the 3k, they all end up "Hmmm, I do have to agree that these are excellent.". Ahaha.
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2001 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
Very interesting headphones... big yet comfortable, closed yet extremely open (in both isolation and sound leakage)

yeah, like kwkarth and I have been saying, they're not closed.
cool.gif

Nov 11, 2001 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 12
Here's my prediction for DarkAngel--

The Sony's only sound "bright" to you right now because you are comparing them to HD600s. Eventually, you will adjust and realize that the 3000s simply have a much better, more revealing, and clearer top end. You will find the 600s to be dark and closed in in comparison.

markl

Nov 11, 2001 at 7:57 PM Post #9 of 12
I don't particularily notice the CD3000s being bright, after being with the etys. More treble energy, but not bright, at least in the sense of the Beyer 831.

Nov 12, 2001 at 3:12 AM Post #10 of 12
Having had the K1000 I can still say I enjoy the CD3000 more. Sony engineered enclosures that give bass reinforcement while remaining transparent sounding, and its just a great headphone overall. Its on the short list of the very best enclosed dynamic headphones available today (or ever.) I'm hoping that Sony attempts to surpass itself one day with an even more ambitious model, but until then the CD3k is more than good enough (the R10 doesnt hardly count; its like the 'Delta Force' of headphones, not even officially recognized!)

Nov 12, 2001 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Here's my prediction for DarkAngel--

The Sony's only sound "bright" to you right now because you are comparing them to HD600s. Eventually, you will adjust and realize that the 3000s simply have a much better, more revealing, and clearer top end. You will find the 600s to be dark and closed in in comparison.

markl

Hey, I like that slow, warm, fluffy haze. Cymbals become an etheral instrument created in god's image.

Now the midbass of those DJ crap phones, now we're talking satan
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 12, 2001 at 1:33 PM Post #12 of 12
Mark said:
Quote:

I already admit the CD3000 is more revealing of fine detail with much greater clarity vs Senn HD600/Red Jaspis and therefore use it for all classical and well recorded music. For rock/alt music however the recording technique is different, and treble is often
elevated for added impact, and these CDs sometimes sound too bright when used with CD3000.........if I used a warmer amp that had less treble energy I would probably prefer CD3000 for all CDs.
For now I keep the Senn HD600/Red Jaspis for rock/alt CDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back