Got my paws on WA22
Oct 7, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations. The Woo is really a top performer and the Woo family is simply excellent.

I know. I've seen the insides of their amps and their work is absolutely artisan. I mean their point-to-point wiring sort of reminds me of crop circles--so precise and very methodically thought-out.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #18 of 54
What a beautiful amp and a terrific score, congrats Seaice !.... but what's with that back plate (not that it matters to me but others would freak over such things) ?

Peete.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #19 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's with that back plate (not that it matters to me but others would freak over such things) ?

Seamaster had his WA22 customized, to include multiple XLR inputs - that is why his rear panel looks funky. stock amps do not look like that
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but what's with that back plate (not that it matters to me but others would freak over such things) ?

Peete.

Here's the stock wa22 back panel

wa22-back.jpg

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #21 of 54
I will never forget the morning I picked up my Woo amp. Funny how emotional we get about these silly little things. The morning I went before work and picked it up. Anyone would have laughed at the look on my face the moment the FedX girl came out with the first box. I then took them out of the boxs in the parking lot at work and showed everyone like a new father. What we are into here has such highs.

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #22 of 54
Thanks all you for support. Jack looks like little overwhelmed by too many orders. But they are in the back, I can live with it. My WA22 is all balanced beside the SE headphone jack. Jack throw in a extra pair balanced preamp output for no charge. Thanks jack. That way I could use two different power amp. My next step is to get a balanced turntable and phono. I see the stock WA22 looks clean in the back.

I was debating between two color. I think black hides the transformer box cooling fin better, which is not my cup of tea. I personally think Eddie Current amp looks way better. But they are not ture balanced.

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My WA22 is all balanced beside the SE headphone jack.

I personally think Eddie Current amp looks way better. But they are not true balanced.

By "true balanced" do you mean differential? A headphone amp with balanced inputs is considered balanced, even if you opt to tie the v- of each channel's output to ground to drive headphones.

I'm sort of shocked that nobody has mentioned how terrible the matching is between sections of most 6AS7's. Unless the amps are individually tuned for the set of tubes they come with, I would expect pretty poor results from a differential 6AS7 amp.

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiowize /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By "true balanced" do you mean differential? A headphone amp with balanced inputs is considered balanced, even if you opt to tie the v- of each channel's output to ground to drive headphones.

I'm sort of shocked that nobody has mentioned how terrible the matching is between sections of most 6AS7's. Unless the amps are individually tuned for the set of tubes they come with, I would expect pretty poor results from a differential 6AS7 amp.

I just ordered a WA22 and I am very excited about it. (How terrible is the matching between sections of most 6AS7s? Is this something that I need to ask Jack to do--to tune his set of tubes?) Anyway, I just received the PS Audio DL3 Stage IV and I can't wait to connect the amp to it.

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #25 of 54
Thanks for posting, Seamaster, your '22 looks fantastic, and I'm very encouraged by your early listening impressions considering I have one on order myself. I was also under the impression that Jack is very busy at the moment. I'm just praying that my WA22 will get here in time for the UK meet in less than a month. Jack has assured me it will, so fingers crossed. Keep us updated on any sonic developments as it runs in. Cheers.

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #26 of 54
Nice amp enjoy it!

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiowize /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There is nothing from the House of Woo that is sub standard in quality and execution so far. I have seen nothing and they had one of the best sounding rooms at Canjam if you were there.

If you've already ordered the amp, wait and enjoy it. If there is any problems ever, the Woo family will take care of you. Having personally met the father and both his sons, I say you are in very safe and good hands.

Congrats on the purchase!
beerchug.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton SF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered a WA22 and I am very excited about it. (How terrible is the matching between sections of most 6AS7s? Is this something that I need to ask Jack to do--to tune his set of tubes?) Anyway, I just received the PS Audio DL3 Stage IV and I can't wait to connect the amp to it.

I would only trust my ears, would you? As far they are not too mismatched like over 15% (Guessing) or more, not sure by how much, I could NOT hear the difference. I have B&K 747 tube tester.

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for posting, Seamaster, your '22 looks fantastic, and I'm very encouraged by your early listening impressions considering I have one on order myself. I was also under the impression that Jack is very busy at the moment. I'm just praying that my WA22 will get here in time for the UK meet in less than a month. Jack has assured me it will, so fingers crossed. Keep us updated on any sonic developments as it runs in. Cheers.

Anytime. WA22 is pretty sensitive to cable change. I could tell right away when cable is changed. My order was delayed about about 20 some days. But I wish best luck to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back