Got my new source today!
Aug 17, 2006 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

PsychoZX

Headphoneus Supremus
I got my new source earlier today.

Thorens2.jpg

Thorens1.jpg

Picked it up for about $130 shipped off of ebay. It is in fantastic condition.
k1000smile.gif

Aug 17, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 19
Sweet... Thorens TTs seem to have dropped in price a bit lately, after getting way up there for awhile. I wouldn't sell mine at the present time.

Aug 17, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #6 of 19
Nice.

What are you using for a phono stage?

Does your amp have multiple source inputs?

Aug 17, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 19
Nice! It looks to be in very good shape for the price.
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
What cart did it come with - can't make out from the pictures?

A Grado GF1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Nice.

What are you using for a phono stage?

I'm currently using the phono stage inside an old Kenwood KA-3700 integrated amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Does your amp have multiple source inputs?

Unfortunately not.

Aug 17, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn
Look's GREAT , But more importantly do you like how it sounds.

So far yes but I am gonna hold off judgement until I get a decent phono stage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn
Is this your first TT ?

Yes.

Aug 17, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
A Grado GF1.

That's an oldie and I think discontinued... you might consider upgrading to a Grado Red/Blue (if you want to stay with Grado) or maybe a Stanton for midbass bloom/warmth or Audio Technica 440ML for a more 'modern' CD-ish tonal balance with amazing tracking. Or possibly Denon DL-103... lotsa inexpensive options out there.

Aug 17, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
That's an oldie and I think discontinued... you might consider upgrading to a Grado Red/Blue (if you want to stay with Grado) or maybe a Stanton for midbass bloom/warmth or Audio Technica 440ML for a more 'modern' CD-ish tonal balance with amazing tracking. Or possibly Denon DL-103... lotsa inexpensive options out there.

Good suggestions - my preference is for Dynavector though for any model until you spend over $1K.

Aug 17, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 19
congrats! that's a beast! i found a nice little used vinyl store in NYC too to stock up, but then i demurred - what gives with the used $15 copies of SRV albums? bah!

Aug 17, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #14 of 19
May I recommend a Denon DL 110 or DL160 high output MC cart (approx €90 - available on ebay from a guy "williamthakker". Gave me good service in a speedy manner. Get yourself a Nad PP2 phonostage (about €70 s/h) also off ebay and you will have a lovely sound for not much money. I have an ariston RD80sl, very similar to the TD160 and have no doubt that combination would work very well.

The DL103 is a nice cart too (a classic), but doesn't track as well as the 110/160 and having heard both, think I would go for the 110/160. My feeling is that the DL103 needs a good arm to get the most from it and your original thorens arm "may" not give you this. Have a google and you will find much good info on aligning/setting up the cartridge.

Lastly, I had a grado gold (about €200) before the denon, it was twice the price and I'd go for the denon any day. They're prob the best you'll get under $500

Fran

Aug 18, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fran
May I recommend a Denon DL 110 or DL160 high output MC cart (approx €90 - available on ebay from a guy "williamthakker". Gave me good service in a speedy manner.

not too sure about the Denon's being a good match for the stock Thorens as you suggest. They were designed for much higher mass arms like the Fidelity Research.
I would check out the Shure's and Stanton's as well as the AT range and avoid MC carts on a lightweight tonearm like this as a rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back