Got my new HD-650's today...please tell me burn-in helps a lot
Apr 30, 2004 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

RHMMMM

100+ Head-Fier
I just got the HD-650's today. I had them shipped to my home (I'm away at school), so I went and got them and plugged them into a desktop stereo. I wasn't expecting much because they were unamped and sure enough, they didn't sound that great. I expected an improvement bringing them back to school and plugging them into my PPA but they still don't sound that great (I tried both BB637/627 and AD8610 opamps).

I know there is something to be said for burn-in, but does it really make that big of a difference? It just sounds like they are all muddy and have no high end, but that's compared to my CD3K's...maybe I've been Sony brainwashed or just don't like the Sennheiser sound. The CD3K's seem like they have much more tight, controlled, punchier and dynamic bass; the 650s sound loose and boomy. With the 650's it just sounds like my head is wrapped in wool and I'm sitting in a small closet with the singer on either side of my head a foot away.

On top of that they feel chintzy and cheap: every time I move my head or jaw, something in the headband creaks and it's really annoying. I might try taking them apart and putting vaseline on the joints or something like that, I dunno. I just don't feel like I got my $350 worth...

Is it burn-in? The cable? I bought them from AudioAdvisor so I trust that I didn't get B-stock or a return. Maybe I just got a lemon. I want to like them...

I will continue to burn them in and listen in hopes they clear up.

Apr 30, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 33
Burn-in helps a lot
biggrin.gif
Especially if you've been exclusively listening to a drastically different phone for a long time.

Don't use vaseline because it'll dry and look nasty
eek.gif
eek.gif
Experiment with the fit of the headband.

Apr 30, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 33
Maybe your just a true blue Sony CD3k lover
biggrin.gif

Try burning-in the HD650 for at least 150 hours. If your not really sure if burn-in works or not, then now is the time to find out
tongue.gif
The fit will also be a lot better after a week or two.

About the stock cables, they are supposed to be bad compared to the replacement cables, but they are not that bad. If you still dont like the way your cans sound after the burn-in, then maybe you just dont like the Sennheiser sound.

Apr 30, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
About the stock cables, they are supposed to be bad compared to the replacement cables, but they are not that bad. If you still dont like the way your cans sound after the burn-in, then maybe you just dont like the Sennheiser sound.

I still have the stock cable. A few months ago I was thinking of getting a Zu or comparable, but I have yet to get one. You want to know why? Because I am perfectly happy as-is. Maybe when I upgrade some components, then I'll think about it. But for now I'm quite content.

As for burn int, I listened to them when I first got them and then every 50 hours during burn in for about 150 hours. There was a noticable difference each time I listened. Now whenever I listen, the sound is consistently the same.

Apr 30, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 33
That's the same way I felt about the CD3000s
tongue.gif
, been listening to to the HD650s for a good 2 weeks when the CD3000s came. Plugged them in, put them on, something just didn't sound right. Bass didn't have that oomph, instruments sounded too artificial at times and the overall build quality of the CD3000s had me a bit worried ( very comfy though ).

I think you just don't like the sennheiser sound. I thought the CD3000s would be the right headphones for me based on my music preferences and amp synergy (perreaux SXH-1), but the sennheisers just sound "right" to me.

Apr 30, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 33
Take a deep breath....it's so easy to let emotions carry you away to the point of either throwing the product or yourself out the window. I'm sure your expectations were so high and you were so looking forward to being blown away, that the dissapointment is magnified. Those Senns definitely benefit from burn-in. 40 hrs minimum and more like 150+. As you know, they are also power hungry. They're not as detailed as, let's say ety's or even your sony's, but they will reveal flaws in your system, although judging by your sig, you've got no problems there... Did I mention that they really love power? Under the right circumstances, they are breathtaking. Give it a few days and don't fall victim to the "impossible expectation fulfillment syndrome". Also, I had to bend the headband a bit to get them to fit right. Out of the box, they caused a strange pain from pressure right above the jaw and below the earlobe. Good luck and let us know how things progress.

Apr 30, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #8 of 33
Don’t panic. Just allow sometime for burn-in and acclimation to the HD650. I felt somewhat similar to what you’ve described when I tried to use HD650 after gotten used to CD3K. Remember that you may have already imprinted most of your music with Sony CD3K sonic signature (you are used to how your music sounded with CD3K).

May I suggest listening to nothing but HD650 for a week or more, preferably using a new music you haven’t heard before (say Diana Krall’s albums like Love Scenes or All For You if you haven’t heard them yet). After week or so, you should try listening to your music through CD3K and see which sound you prefer. Of course, CD3K will give more overall details, but you may be surprised to find how many songs you actually like on HD650. However there is a remote possibility that you may be a CD3K kinda guy and may not like HD650 at all. Of course your mileage may vary and you can return it before your 30 day is up.

Apr 30, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 33
I have them both here. Senn HD-650 is mine and the CD3k is Lindrone's.

I must admit that when I first plonked the CD3000 on my head and listened to some jazz - I was pretty impressed. These headphones are more immediate, personal and involving than the HD-650.

BUT

They get annoying after more than 20 - 25 minutes with certain kinds of music and the highs leave me trembling like a leaf
tongue.gif

The bass of the HD-650 is better IMO...cleaner - not louder.

The CD3000 is more fun...definitely....but it is NOT a reference quality headphone - it adds a lot of its "flavor" to the music which works in some cases (many cases) but not in others...

I would keep them both if I could...I have identified music genres that sound absolutely stunning with the CD3K's where the HD-650 just puts you to sleep
tongue.gif

Have fun...take your time, give your headphones some time and then decide which one stays and which one goes...

Cheers!

Apr 30, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #10 of 33
Put your most bass-heavy CD on. Turn the volume up slightly higher than a loud normal listening level. Put the cans between a couple pillows (to muffle the sound). Then leave them like that overnight. My 600's changed a TON when they were new, the largest change was in the first 12-24 hours. But, they changed slightly for the next month or so.

-dd3mon

Apr 30, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
They get annoying after more than 20 - 25 minutes with certain kinds of music and the highs leave me trembling like a leaf
tongue.gif

You mean you didn't ask for the decaf CD3K from lindrone?

Apr 30, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #13 of 33
that is just ridiculous.

They need at least more than that
rolleyes.gif

I say send them back if you are not willing to invest the time. They blossom with time and the CD3000 sound is something the HD-650 will never present to you. it is an entirely different animal.

If you like the CD3K sound then the next step in that scene is the R-10
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by RHMMMM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm gonna leave them on overnight in hopes that they sound better tomorrow.
600smile.gif

Leave them on with high (but not distorting) volumes for a week at least
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back