Got my MS-1s. Thanks Head-Fi!
Mar 29, 2006 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

elan

100+ Head-Fier
Thank you Head-Fi for all the information! My MS-1s arrived today, and I'm loving them! I would never have even heard of Grado or Alessandro without this forum. After reading about Grados here, I managed to listen to a pair of SR-125s at a local boutique. They were a lot more money than I expected (I'm Canadian), but I was very impressed and I never forgot them. Eventually I noticed postings about Alessandros, specifically the MS-1s. After using the search function and reading many, many posts, I decided to give them a try. Well, here they are!

I've spun some Smashing Pumpkins, some Tragically Hip, and now some Paco de Lucia, and all are fabulous. I bought the MS-1s with guitar music in mind, and they're right on the money for that. They're brighter than my Senn HD-590s, but that's exactly what I wanted. The mid-range that was recessed with the 590s is now up front and personal. For certain kinds of music, for me that is much preferred. The MS-1's bass is better than I expected. It's tight and reaches down pretty deep too. So far--I've been listening for about an hour--I'm very happy. I expect that with burn-in, they'll improve a little too.

I bought them hoping that they'd be decent for portable use, but I dunno; they don't look that portable. I remembered them being smaller the last time I tried on Grados. I'll have to see if wifey protests if I head outside with them on. What do you guys think?

Mar 29, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 15
It's not that bad to wear outside, but I've gotten some comments about them looking ghetto and old-school. Also, people have commented about the bright yellow HD414 pads I sport on my MS-1s.

Mar 29, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 15
Nah, buy some KSC75s for portable use, and keep the MS1 safe at home.

You'll be back for more!
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 15
transportable, i agree. but they look COOL when you have em hanging from your neck, and comfortable because they swivel to lay flush - plus, the posts scootch down so they don't choke you either.

just from a comfort and looks POV!

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
transportable, i agree. but they look COOL when you have em hanging from your neck, and comfortable because they swivel to lay flush - plus, the posts scootch down so they don't choke you either.

The hard plastic headband scratches the back of my neck, so I find it able to hang it on my neck only with a Beyer headband installed.

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter
The hard plastic headband scratches the back of my neck, so I find it able to hang it on my neck only with a Beyer headband installed.

oh yeah, definitely invest in a snappable DT770 headband.

speaking of which, my sister definitely ran off to live in LA with my Darth Beyers. i'm going to keep it in my sig out of spite now!

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #10 of 15
Yeah, I can certainly see 770s snapped on my MS-1s, but looking cool while going outside isn't something that someone in their 60s is too terribly worried about.

However.....

.....sporting yellow 414s in public!!!

Let's just not get too silly!!
tongue.gif

(uh,....I still have some pride
biggrin.gif
)

Seriously,.....I AM extreemly happy with my MS-1s as well, and would also like to thank the forum for all the valuable information given so freely in these threads!!

Now........how do we growing group of Alessandro types get our own set of smilies!!
frown.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #12 of 15
Thanks for the "Beware" tony.

But it may already be too late.

All the "Beware" warnings.

The "Sorry about your wallet" statements.

The "Leave this forum Forever" recommendations.

All too late.

And my MS-1s sing to me: M....S....Twoooo...Oooo...Oooo!
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 15
still waiting for mine... but they did take the money out of my account 5 days ago, so does that mean they have been dispatched? Still i could get big delays because of customs in the UK. Ordered some hd414 pads and i bet they arrive before the headphones themselves lol. btw, do you think i should fit the hd414 pads before even listening them with stock pads?

(on a side note and not relevant to this topic in the slightest, my friend bought some triports 2day, and laffed at me wen i sed they were supposed to be terrible. my ms-1's best be alot better than them, but who knows...)

Mar 29, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #14 of 15
Dakota...I hope you get away with custom duty like I did
icon10.gif
The ms-1's worked out at £58....Absolute bargain mate (even if they get an extra £14 for duty) I'm hoping the ms-2's I ordered go via the same route
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back