Got my modded DI/O and...
Apr 19, 2002 at 7:41 PM Post #16 of 30
I know you said PCM/44.1 but sometimes there is a different setting somewhere for the coax output. I haven't used the 9000ES at all so this is kind of a shot in the dark but... is there a menu setting somewhere that says "PCM" or "Dolby Digital"? If so, set it to PCM and see what happens.

Apr 19, 2002 at 8:16 PM Post #17 of 30
Here's what it says right now under the 9000's audio setup menu. The first setting is what it's on, the second is the other options:

Audio Attentuation: Off/On
Audio DRC: Standard/TVMode/WideRange
Audio Filter: Sharp/Slow
Downmix: Normal/Dolby Surround
Digital Out: On/Off
Dolby Digital: D-PCM/Dolby Digital
DTS: Off
48/96Khz PCM/16bit / 48/96Khz PCM/24bit

Apr 19, 2002 at 8:28 PM Post #18 of 30
I used the DI/O with the 9000ES briefly some months back. I was able to get lock, but I also had noise anytime I changed disks. It didn't strike me as a particularly happy combo, but I have the Rotel so I didn't try all that hard to make it work.

Something weird is happening if a power cycle doesn't let you at least get some sort of lock. I have had that happen...but when I did, I tracked it down to a capacitor on the digital board I had installed with the polarity backwards (I've never claimed to be any good at modding these things
tongue.gif
). This is something that the person who modded the DI/O may have some insight on.

If you have access to another source with digital output, you might try the DI/O there, just to make sure the problem is not peculiar to the 9000ES.

Apr 20, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #19 of 30
Tried hooking it up to the Soundblaster Live soundcard, and it still can't fire up that external synch. Now I'm just getting tired of this, since there's about a trillion things that could be responsible for the problem. I very well might just end up bypassing this and shooting for a one boxer.

Apr 20, 2002 at 12:38 AM Post #20 of 30
Soundblaster has resampling issues and will not work with a DIO, let alone any DAC (I believe), next
smily_headphones1.gif
(go find someone with some cheap dvd player or something...)... um, the digi cable is plugged into the bottom jack right?
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #21 of 30
The Sblive worked peaches and cream with the CAL Gamma.
rolleyes.gif

There's three jacks on the back of my DI/O...two RCA analog outs, and one coax digital in. I would hope I connected things right.

Apr 20, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #22 of 30
Re-sampling by the Live will just make the sound not be as good, certainly woudn't prevent the DI/O from using it. I'm beginning to think either something came loose inside, or it the connections were done wrong. Have you talked to the mod guy about it?

Apr 20, 2002 at 3:04 AM Post #23 of 30
Chych,

If the SB has a coax S/PDIF output, it is 48 KHz, which is a mode the DI/O supports (for two channels). This is sounding like something the modifier needs to look at and repair.

A very likely culprit is the harness connecting the I/O board and the main board. These connectors break easily, and if the digital input wire was broken, this is the symptom you would see.

Apr 20, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #24 of 30
Well, the mod guy said that he did test the DI/O out before sending it out, and that it was working. And of course only now I hear left and right that the 9000ES isn't exactly the greatest transport for the DI/O.
rolleyes.gif
mad.gif

Apr 25, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #25 of 30
Hm.....well, I"m still awaiting for my DI/O to arrive (from Germany = 3 weeks waiting time
frown.gif
frown.gif
). and have been killing time reading posts like these.
wink.gif

The A.R.T. DI/O is like a toy, it's tiny. It's squashy. It doesn't look nice and expensive over the MSB Link III DAC - which I chose the DI/O over. It requires Bolder cables, a new power supply, some digital cables......and then all this talk I hear about syncing it........and then I still need to save up some $$ for mods.

Man, this thing is looking more and more complicated. Hopefully my transport won't have the same problems Vertigo is having......and maybe the sound really will be just worth it.

...and I wait..... hehe......damn. I gotta stop counting down the minutes till I receive this thing....

Apr 25, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #26 of 30
Yeah, I just sent my own unit back to the modder to have caps put on the digital ins...it's supposed to help the signal lock better, although at a cost to sound quality somehow. If this doesn't work, then I think I'm just going to forget about the DI/O.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 25, 2002 at 12:14 PM Post #27 of 30
Just to be contrary...

My stock ART DI/O with stock power supply was $138 shipped and sounds and works great.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was thinking of sending mine to Bolder for mods but I'm thinking I'll hold out for a different (better/more expensive) DAC now. The ART was only intended as a stop gap and it is a very good one.

Apr 25, 2002 at 3:35 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by session76
are the bolder cables essential or can i use a 1/4" to rca adaptor cable with the ART?

I'm using the radio shack adapters and it's working fine except that 1) the output is a little hot so my volume pots don't have as much play, 2) the output causes my receiver to wig out if I don't turn direct pass on when I'm running to the receiver (I go straight to the headphone amp when I'm listening that way).

The hot output was really only problematic with the MG Head because the volume on the Head is stepped and it was difficult to "balance" between 1 and 2 to not have the volume too loud--and this was with the HD600. I imagine with the MG Head and some other headphone, you wouldn't be able to get it down to a volume that would make me happy. That said, I listen lower than most people do.

Apr 25, 2002 at 4:40 PM Post #30 of 30
i got my d/io today. fast shipping from fullcompass, 11.50 and they sent it by overnight DHL. ask to speak to Joel Pare if you order from there, he was very helpful. First impressions:
the sound is much richer, i hear the singers voice echoing slightly which i didn't hear before. I am using the cheapie Hosa cables that I ordered along with the unit. However on loud tracks like the stereophile test cd 2 track one the bass distorts slightly in the opposite channel. i hope that this problem goes away with warmup. i also ordered the stancor power supply and the bolder cables so i'm hoping that the occasional distortion will stop after lowering the output voltage to 2v. overall it is a subtle but noticable improvement over my current cd player.
i am currently using it with the sample rate on the middle yellow led, not quite sure yet what this means but it sounds best at this position.
The user's manual isn't too clear on the position of the sample rate led, it does sound very distorted with audibles clicks and pops at the red position. It sounds very good with the yellow led on or with all the lights off. If someone could explain what is happening to the signal at these different settings i'd appreciate it.

looking forward to the cable and power supply
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back