Got my modded DI/O and...
Apr 17, 2002 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

dhwilkin

Headphone audiophiles are practically the stuff of legend.
... man, is this thing tiny! It looks like a toy compared to my MSB Link DAC. Guess I'm going to have to find a way to weight it down. I'm getting a good lock w/ ext. synch, maybe I'll try the other settings later.

As for the sound... I can hear it, so that's a good start. Time to start the burn-in process.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 17, 2002 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 30
Damn you got yours quick! Mines is probably coming in on Thurs or so. BTW, you wouldn't happen to have a list again of the mods done? The seller took his ad off Audiogon...

Apr 17, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 30
Well, it helps that I live in the continental US.
tongue.gif

And I don't have the list copied down, but they're almost the same mods as done by Wayne from Bolder Cables, which are listed here.

Actually, if somebody made a battery pack for this thing, I could see it being the ultimate portable DAC. It's roughly as big, and maybe twice as thick, as my Panasonic 480 pcdp.

I ordered the Stancor power supply from Allied Electronics, so that should be here sometime before I stop burning the DI/O in.

Apr 19, 2002 at 7:35 AM Post #4 of 30
Well, the DI/O arrived...but alas, I seem to have run into the famous problem with it not locking in on the digital signal.
frown.gif
So now it seems I have to hunt for a digital cable which I assume costs at least $50, and all of a sudden this DI/O isn't such a great deal...

Apr 19, 2002 at 8:50 AM Post #6 of 30
Well, here's what the seller said:

"Ext. sync. utilizes the clock of your transport. All other settings utilize the clock inside DI/O. Theoretically, using the clock inside DI/O would be better, as it would not be susceptible to the jitter induced by the cable. But, since the crystal used in the DI/O is not of high quality (why do you think they are so cheap?
smily_headphones1.gif
, it's better to leave it at ext. sync. while using it as a DAC. If you do an A/D job, then the setting is used to set the sampling rate of your A/D conversion. But let your ears be the judge."

Apr 19, 2002 at 11:34 AM Post #7 of 30
vertigo,

I disagree that a $50 cable is required but I'd think $50 cables were commonplace around here. Follow the above advice and set it to 88.2 if you're listening to a 44.1 CD. If it doesn't seem to be getting the lock, unplug it and plug it back in after you've started the CD. Sometimes, with some DVD players, it has trouble getting a lock -- this has to do with the way the DVD player send out one signal and then another before settling in on whatever kind of disc is present.

Apr 19, 2002 at 3:11 PM Post #8 of 30
For the most part, my DI/O has been behaving itself, in regards to keeping a lock. It did lose it once sometime after a full day of burn-in, w/ the CD playing on repeat mode. Had to cycle through the synch options a few times, then the DI/O got the synch again. Oddly enough, it seemed to get the synch back on the 88.2 setting, but I moved it back to ext. synch for now. My transport is a base Pioneer DV-343.

I'm almost at the 72-hour mark on burn-in, out of the recommended 150 hours. Took a quick listen yesterday, and the sound has gotten smoother, and the bass impact is also back. And I'm getting a Stancor power supply today, so from everything I've heard, that should be a big help as well.

Apr 19, 2002 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 30
The quick fix for lack of signal lock is to unplug the DI/O for a few seconds, and power it back on with the signal present. That usually takes care of it. If that doesn't work, try a cheap digital cable from Rat Shack first. Some people have had good luck with those. There are some mods available that will increase the ability of the DI/O to lock, but you really want to avoid these if possible, as one of them reportedly has an adverse effect on sound.

A digital signal usually has one master clock, and the other end of the loop slaves to it. A CDP takes it timing from the source, and cannot slave to an external clock, so a CDP will almost always be set up as a master clock. Most DACS only have an external sync mode, in order to create a properly configured digital loop. The DI/O gives you sampling options mainly for A to D use, where you have to set the sampling rate for conversion of the analog signal to digital.

However, the crystal in the DI/O is a lot better than some give it credit for. If timing in the DI/O is better than the source, setting a sampling rate will actually create a mis-configured digital loop with two master clocks...but the DI/O will catch the samples and perform a crude form of reclocking. Sometimes this helps the sound, sometimes not. Note that if you set a sampling rate that is not an exact multiple of the source, you won't like what you hear ( a 44.1 KHz CD can be converted with external sync, 44 KHz or 88 KHz. If you try 48 or 96 KHz, it won't be pretty.)

Apr 19, 2002 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 30
Also, if using the DI/O with a DVD player, make sure that all surround sound modes are disabled in the player. The DI/O can only handle a two-channel signal.

Apr 19, 2002 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 30
Hm if one of the mods changed the input resistor from 100ohm to 75ohm, it should be changed back to 100ohm as many have said it is better as it is. A lot think it is 75ohm RF impedance on the cable and change it to 75 but it should be 100 as it was designed that way.

Apr 19, 2002 at 6:44 PM Post #12 of 30
Forgive my ignorance, but the $235 quoted by Boulder is in addition to the price of the unit, correct?

Apr 19, 2002 at 7:23 PM Post #13 of 30
I think that's correct. You should check w/ Bolder to be sure, though.

Apr 19, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #14 of 30
Well, tried all of the above, and no go. And I am using a Rat Shack cable.
frown.gif
None of the settings output any sound. 9000ES is set to PCM, 2 channel output, 44.1 output.

Apr 19, 2002 at 7:37 PM Post #15 of 30
Nothing at all, not even any hiss? That's very odd, I've never heard of a DI/O not getting a signal lock at all. Are all the cables plugged in tight and in the correct places on the DI/O and 9000? Got anything else w/ a digital-out handy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back