Got My HD 650
May 22, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #16 of 28
wow, congratulations!
smily_headphones1.gif
i still want an hd 650. someday, i'll have that..

May 22, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #17 of 28
typical of head-fi.

Tell someone you bought something and they hound you on what to buy next
tongue.gif

May 22, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #18 of 28
Having had both, I would cancel the TH and get the Micro stack.

While the TH is a great amp, do you really need the extreme portability? If you don't, the Micro amp (desktop module) and DAC is an awesome rig that gives you a much better source and IMO better sound than the TH.

GAD

May 22, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #19 of 28
You are really going to love these, especially with the Cardas cable! Congrats.

May 23, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having had both, I would cancel the TH and get the Micro stack.

While the TH is a great amp, do you really need the extreme portability? If you don't, the Micro amp (desktop module) and DAC is an awesome rig that gives you a much better source and IMO better sound than the TH.

GAD

I do need portability, but a lot of what has been said in here has got me thinking. I'm basically trying to prepare for the airplane trips I will be making. I don't want to look like I'm carrying some sort of contraband or worse. My name takes care of that already.

I received the Cardas cable, my UM2s, and the Headroom Bithead amp in the mail today. Save the UM2s, I am returning the rest. That should get me back at least 334USD. If Headroom refunds my shipping, which I doubt they will, I might actually get back 377USD.

Also I am contemplating returning my UM2s for the 299USD I paid for 'em. If I return the TH, I get back another 295USD.

That brings me back a grand total of 928USD. And a new start where I can get the Westone 3, a MiniBox Amp, and a Lite DAC-ah.

Currently, I need a decent portable amp to listen to when I go running. I guess I should wait and save some money before I buy a dedicated portable amp for my IEMs (be it the UM2s or the Westone 3).

What do you think I should do? I have another 3 weeks to decide before I send all this stuff back so I would really appreciate your responses in this matter.

May 23, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #21 of 28
Now you need to get your DT990's and see what bass is all about
tongue.gif

- lk

May 24, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #22 of 28
Congrats on your new purchase, you should really enjoy them.

I know after a long day at the office there is nothing like chilling out with my 650s.

Now the hardest part will be maintaining control of the wallet. I think part of that comes from the fact you cant just walk into Best Buy etc. and try them out so you are almost forced to make a purchase then compare, evaluate then sell the ones you like the least.

May 24, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboRotaryFreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also it feels like the heeadphone sqeezes my head in from the sides. Does this ever go away?

You can put them on a stack of books overnight to loosen them up a bit. Be careful not to bend the headbands because they have a reputation for breaking. You probably don't need an amp for jogging duty, the internal noise floor (breathing, heartbeat, wind, etc) makes the improvement irrelavent in my opinion. I had the AudigyZS card and it didn't drive my HD650 anywhere near competently compared to my LDII+, so you might want to get a proper amp for the full size 650.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on your new purchase, you should really enjoy them.

I know after a long day at the office there is nothing like chilling out with my 650s.

Now the hardest part will be maintaining control of the wallet. I think part of that comes from the fact you cant just walk into Best Buy etc. and try them out so you are almost forced to make a purchase then compare, evaluate then sell the ones you like the least.

Word!!!

I spent 1300 the first week I have been occupying myself with this hobby. And I have already decided to send back most of the stuff. Save the HD650. Even my UM2s are under scrutiny since this afternoon when I bought myself a set of KSC75s.

Through a lot of advice and suggestions, I am now contemplating building a decent home rig (Apogee mini-DAC or LaVry DA10, Balanced cables for my 650, etc.) and then spending ridiculous amounts on my portable setup (Larocco RMII, Westone 3s, and finally maybe an iMod) towards the end of the year when I plan vacationing in Fiji (15-20hrs depending on/including transit time).

Although I have grown very fond of my UM2s over the last 2, yes two, days, I believe the KSCs are going to hold up just fine till I can afford a better - more luxurious/comfortable - portable setup.

If anyone comes around these parts and is selling an Apogee DAC, please drop me a PM. Thanks.

-AA

May 24, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #26 of 28
Gotta love head-fi... the poor guy's JUST GOT HIS CANS and already the equipment recommendations are pouring in...
wink.gif

Enjoy your new toy TurboRotaryFreak, for soon you'll be infected w/ upgrade-itis and you will no longer be happy with JUST the HD650...

May 24, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by D_4_Dog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotta love head-fi... the poor guy's JUST GOT HIS CANS and already the equipment recommendations are pouring in...
wink.gif

Enjoy your new toy TurboRotaryFreak, for soon you'll be infected w/ upgrade-itis and you will no longer be happy with JUST the HD650...

Just wait till the HD700 to come out... anytime now.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back