Got my first DAC / AMP, now what?!
Sep 4, 2015 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Harley1962

New Head-Fier
Greetings & Salutations!
It's taken quite a while for me to finally post (after having joined in 2010), but I have an "excuse" due to living / working in 5 countries in the last 4 years!

As a former symphonic musician having performed in all the major concert halls in Europe, the USA, and even Asia I'd always believed "bigger is better", so in years past (when I was more "settled" in my life) I always invested in decent hi-fi equipment (Examples : Muse, Arcam, Musical Fidelity pre-amps & amps, Rega and Dual turntables, MacIntosh CD player, Magnaplanar, KEF, and B & W speakers, countless brands of isolation feet, and "super high fidelity" connecting cables and speaker wires. Basically what I'm trying to communicate is that I've spent my fair share of $$$ on audio gear.

Now that I'm retired from the music business (having recorded and performed with world-class artists and conductors), I am now primarily concentrating on keeping things "compact" and travel-ready.

I've recently purchased a JDS Labs C5D (although I almost went for the O2 + ODAC), primarily because I didn't want to depend on AC "mains" power (I'm often in countries with 220-240V AC as well as standard US 110V), so hauling around an AC to DC adapter seemed impractical.

So now I need to think about HP's. I have always thought of portable HiFi as being "low quality", so listening from a source such as iPhone or Android phone is totally new to me! Since I now live a "nomadic lifestyle" I do (on occasion) listen to music from my Win10 laptop (Sony VAIO), but mostly via the lousy headphone jack on very small speakers (USB powered, but tiny--less than 1 KG in total weight).

I recently ordered a Bose Soundlink Mini II, which I understand uses BT to connect from the source (laptop in my case, mostly 320 and .flac files). But now I've decided to upgrade to a "higher quality" (but still very compact) of sound with the JDS C5D, and I really don't know what to do "next".

I found a "lightly used" set of V-moda XS HP's, which (for me) represents something new and special--as I rarely used HP's in the past (except the few times when I recorded in a studio). As a career musician, I used to feel that listening to symphonic music though HP's was "limiting" in some way--and that speakers gave the sound more "breadth"--although maybe I'm just living in the past with the memories and ideas of all my high-end audio gear from the 1980's and 90's?

So aside from the "new" V-Moda XS HP's, in years past I had always bought "value" IEM's which (to me) meant "decent quality for not a lot of $$". So I still have a set of RE400's (brand new in the box), and a Japanese IEM called "Final Audio Adagio III".

At this point, I am just not sure in which direction I "should" be going, either 1) use what I have now and see if that is musically satisfying?, OR, 2) go for a higher-quality IEM that may better-represent classical, jazz, acoustic, vocals and other genres that I normally enjoy? 3) Is there any way to utilize the Bose speaker, AND still take advantage of the AMP / DAC unit---or is the sound quality so superior when using directly-connected HP's that I'll never even "miss" listening through speakers again?

I suppose that a LOT of the answers to these questions are largely subjective, and quite dependent on the individual's musical taste and HOW one listens to music (i.e. analytically, peripherally, emotionally, etc...) I am wondering if once I start "serious" listening with HP's on will ever be able to get any work done? Will I have to do all my "serious" listening during non-working hours to minimize interruptions and keep my concentration on the music itself?

Apologies if this "introduction" is likely to generate more questions than actual answers--but given the vast amount of experience this community has on the technical side I am confident that I will be enlightened and educated in this new pursuit.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, ideas, or observations.

HMB

Sep 4, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 12
Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet :D

IMO, Bose Soundlink Mini will sound very meh compared to even a decent pair of $100 IEMS or full sized headphones. For example, I would think the RE-400 should sound a lot better. You said they are still new in the box? You should try them :)

If you want more "breadth," open headphones typically offer a bigger soundstage than IEMs or closed full sized headphones. So you might try to demo some.

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 12
Bose Sound Link Mini (and I own one) sounds great. But it's targeted at general consumer and based on my experience not best for symphonies. It has a V shaped sound signature and is more fun sounding and not neutral or accurate. It lacks detail that headphones can provide.

Like cel4145 in the previous post, the open hall sound and wide soundstage experience can be provided by a good pair of open-back headphones. They can be pretty bulky and not going to be as portable as the IEMs. But the IEMs can never compete with the open-back HP in Spatial Volume and Soundstage. To name a few that you can try or look at, check out this list:

1) Philips Fidelio X2 and L2
2) Sennheiser HD 598 and HD600 and HD650
3) HiFiman HE400 and HE560
4) Beyerdynamic DT990 and T90
5) AKG K701 and K702 
6) Grado SR60 and SR80

These are in the price range of $200 to $600. 

Hope this helps. 

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 12
1) Philips Fidelio X2 and L2
2) Sennheiser HD 598 and HD600 and HD650
3) HiFiman HE400 and HE560
4) Beyerdynamic DT990 and T90
5) AKG K701 and K702 
6) Grado SR60 and SR80

This is a very good list to research. Also add the AKG Q701 to the AKG list. The DT880 to the Beyer list if you would be interested in a fairly neutral headphone.

Note that the HiFiMan, Beyers, and AKGs, and HD600/650 will need your C5D, whereas the others can typically be driven OK without one.

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 12
Wow, this is great information! Thanks to ALL those who responded. I will definitely use that data when making my next HP purchase.

But just to be CLEAR : the above-mentioned list would be BEST for overall soundstage in a classical / symphonic genre, as well as Jazz (straight-bop, be-bop, Miles, Coltrane, etc...) Instrumental and Vocals?

Because I already have the V-Moda XS, I was thinking to purchase a "high-end" IEM (since the RE-400 and Final Audio Adagio III are mid-low end?), such as Westone, Shure, Etymotic Research..??

But from what I interpret from the ABOVE is that ANY (or all) or the OPEN CANS in the list would be CLEARLY SUPERIOR to even a high-end IEM?

Is that an accurate assessment?

Please do give your advice and opinions.....just please remember that I have YEARS of concert experiences behind me of actual PERFORMING in Vienna, Amsterdam, Tokyo, New York, etc.....so my "reference" may be somewhat "skewed" by my past life experiences!!

Thanks again!

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 12
I think you need to at least try some open headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Agreed. Try to audition some headphones and find out what sound signature you prefer and then come back to us 
smile.gif
 This way we can help you better.

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks to everyone that responded thus far.
gs1000.gif

I only wish that I was IN a position to audition some CANS, but the reality is that my present career puts me in places that barely have consistent electricity, let alone ANY Hi-Fi shops! The closest city with any HOPE of such a place is thousands of KM (Miles) away--like 3 HOURS BY PLANE!

So yes, I literally live and work in a jungle paradise--but good-sounding music is something that I find I am missing tremendously, since it was such a big part of my professional life for many years.

For those that are willing to try to suggest some CANS, all I can say is that I've always loved the sound in the Musikverein in Vienna, or the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam. As a former symphonic musician that did this for a living for several years, I do have certain "tastes" in what I consider to be attractive but I also listen to genres other than Classical Music so I certainly TRY to be flexible and open in my tastes nowadays.

Based on the recent comments, an "OPEN" set of CANS seems to be the ticket?---so if it's a matter of signature I would only describe it based on how I experienced it in the concert hall during my career : "Full and rich, BROAD, neither bass heavy on the bottom nor overly "edgy" on the top! But since I do enjoy other genres, I am NOT going to put any limits on my purchase--only that my initial impressions SEEM to lead me to the realization that almost ANY set of open CANS will surpass even a high-end set if IEM's? While I appreciate portability and size, the truth is once I am "settled" in a particular locale I don't move my laptop, etc...for months at a time.

If that's the case, then let's talk brands : Senn, AKG, Philips, Beyer, Grado, and HiFi Man seems to be well-received.

Budget : Let's say in the $200-300 range--but I always like a "giant killer"-- things that are surprisingly good value (and quality) for a somewhat lower price (Philips SHP 9500 for example?)

As I wrote previously, I am open to anything----I realize it's not a good idea to purchase anything before auditioning, in this case I really do not have much choice as I am only in the "modern" world for a few WEEKS in a year! So I try to make as many purchases in advance as possible--thus maximizing my free time to visit people rather than going shopping. Without Internet shopping, plus Forums like this, Ebay, etc...I would HAVE to spend MUCH more time making purchases when I would rather be with people I care about (and see only once a year or two)

Thanks again in advance!

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 12
  Wow, this is great information! Thanks to ALL those who responded. I will definitely use that data when making my next HP purchase.

But just to be CLEAR : the above-mentioned list would be BEST for overall soundstage in a classical / symphonic genre, as well as Jazz (straight-bop, be-bop, Miles, Coltrane, etc...) Instrumental and Vocals?

Because I already have the V-Moda XS, I was thinking to purchase a "high-end" IEM (since the RE-400 and Final Audio Adagio III are mid-low end?), such as Westone, Shure, Etymotic Research..??

But from what I interpret from the ABOVE is that ANY (or all) or the OPEN CANS in the list would be CLEARLY SUPERIOR to even a high-end IEM?

Is that an accurate assessment?

Please do give your advice and opinions.....just please remember that I have YEARS of concert experiences behind me of actual PERFORMING in Vienna, Amsterdam, Tokyo, New York, etc.....so my "reference" may be somewhat "skewed" by my past life experiences!!

Thanks again!

For your tipe of music, open backs are better. 

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks to everyone that responded thus far.
gs1000.gif

Not that IEM's are inferior to Open Backs, it's the feel or sensation that the open-backs offer that make them a preferred choice for many. IEMs offer intimacy. While open-backs offer that natural feel our human ears are very much used to. It boggles our mind, how such a small piece of equipment over our ears can offer such a natural feel. 

That said, given your price range, any of these should work for you. Try reading a little about each and you'd be in a position to choose one.

Sennheiser HD598 : $150 - Comfortable, Warm Sound, Good Value for Money.

Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm : ~$260 - Comfortable and Neutral Sound

AKG Q701 : $200 - Comfortable, Neutral and Highly Recommended

Hope this helps!

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 12

Not that IEM's are inferior to Open Backs, it's the feel or sensation that the open-backs offer that make them a preferred choice for many. IEMs offer intimacy. While open-backs offer that natural feel our human ears are very much used to. It boggles our mind, how such a small piece of equipment over our ears can offer such a natural feel. 

That said, given your price range, any of these should work for you. Try reading a little about each and you'd be in a position to choose one.

Sennheiser HD598 : $150 - Comfortable, Warm Sound, Good Value for Money.

Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm : ~$260 - Comfortable and Neutral Sound

AKG Q701 : $200 - Comfortable, Neutral and Highly Recommended

Hope this helps!

Yes, ALL of your comments and suggestions were very helpful. It's extremely difficult trying to narrow things down to 2-3 models without having the benefit of auditioning, but based on messaging with others (including some former colleagues who still play in major symphony orchestras), I went with the Beyer T90's.

I fully understand and appreciate that one cannot make "blanket statements" such as : "All open HP's are better than IEM's", but considering that I already own a few IEM's of "medium" quality (such as RE400), I thought my "main" listening should be done on the highest-quality HP's that I could afford. (and would compliment my Amp / Dac).

I did spend closer to $350 rather than the original limit I'd set for myself, but after doing some research and communicating with other owners of the above-mentioned list, I decided to "splurge" on the T90's in the hopes that these will satisfy me for some time. And, if I find that the few times that I listen to other genres I can use either the V-Moda XS OR even the IEM's to compare / contrast with the T90's.

Looking forward to receiving these and listening in a more serious and "critical" way.....

Thanks again to ALL that contributed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back