Got my Dynaudio MC 15 ("the high end multimedia speaker") - review
May 5, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by julius_the_cat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another alternative is the Focal CMS-50 for about $1K, if you like low level detail and high quality bass from a small package. Designing for mixing, the front port and EQ make them usable in any room.

I've gotta check those out sometime. I like the idea of a front port.

May 6, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #32 of 57
It is nice to place the monitors right up against the wall. In addition, the rubber decoupling pad keeps the bass tight on a regular desktop which might lack weight/rigidity. The front feet fit right into the rubber pad and allow you to aim the tweeters at your ears (like the stand on the MC15). The 160 hz notch filter eliminates the mid bass boom from the desktop reflection.

I also really like the front gain controls on both monitors, to center the stereo image just right (likely it's my ears but many recordings really respond with slight adjustments in relative gain and the result is better depth and 3-D effect).

Apologies for hijacking and rambling, but these monitors seem to be well-designed and work well on a computer desktop. FWIW.

May 12, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dynamics are great, not using my headphones nearly as much now

Same for me...I got into computer audio with headphones, and had some very, very nice equipment. But once I started using some nice speakers, I stopped using headphones, except at work. Headphones are great...but speakers can give you a much more natural sound that is more relaxing, in my opinion. Hopefully they won't kick me off this site for saying that!
normal_smile .gif

May 12, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #34 of 57
^ i only use my headphones for like...30min a day at night, where as hours on my speakers :p

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #36 of 57
would you guys say that the MC-15 monitors + MC-250 sub is a good desktop setup for EDM and movies? i think i would be using something like a Burson HA-160D as the pre-amp (does this make a difference?).

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #38 of 57
can't go wrong with the matching Dynaudio sub. it's tailor made for the MC15 since the rolloff characteristics match the speakers without the need for an external crossover

Quote:
Would also like to know ^

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #39 of 57

Quote:
would you guys say that the MC-15 monitors + MC-250 sub is a good desktop setup for EDM and movies? i think i would be using something like a Burson HA-160D as the pre-amp (does this make a difference?).

entry level HDMI in/out AVR
2 x Infinity Primus P152
good performing/musical Hsu sub?

much cheaper, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, multiple A/V connections, upgradable to 7.1 configuration, etc....a bad sub ruins your music/audio experience tbh

Feb 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #41 of 57
entry level HDMI in/out AVR
2 x Infinity Primus P152
good performing/musical Hsu sub?

much cheaper, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, multiple A/V connections, upgradable to 7.1 configuration, etc....a bad sub ruins your music/audio experience tbh

I got 2x Dynaudio BM 12A + BM 14S and it sounds like this: FUUUUUCK YEAAAAAAAH!!! :)

Jun 7, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #42 of 57
I just picked up some BM5A's and I love them. I noticed the MC15, but couldn't quite figure out why it was $300 more. There's not nearly as much information about the MC15 online. Does it have a centralized volume control that the BM5A's don't? Or is the price difference due to the smaller size?

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #43 of 57
Quote:
I just picked up some BM5A's and I love them. I noticed the MC15, but couldn't quite figure out why it was $300 more. There's not nearly as much information about the MC15 online. Does it have a centralized volume control that the BM5A's don't? Or is the price difference due to the smaller size?

The MC15 have a (simple) RCA inputs, which are more of a traditional cables for home audio, instead of a XLR inputs which are professional/studio based inputs.

When i had my speakers, i had the Chord iChord. Very fast sound, if at the cost of bass, but good cable all the same;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=chord+ichord&_sacat=0&_sop=16&_odkw=chord+ichrod&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

But the other difference if my memory serves me right, is the overall specs. The BM5A hits a little lower, a little deeper and its a bit bigger.

I do miss my MC15, but the radiator on my car went at 147,000 miles and i had to replace it. I would say that I would buy a pair of Dynaudio's again, however i'm going into car audio and i'm learning about acoustics etc for my business. So i've switched from headphones, my site fakeheadphones.com (but not giving it up) and I'm going into the car audio scene, and I know the UK distributor for Dynaudio car speakers. In the car audio world Dynaudio are seen as near unbeatable in terms of performance and SQ (Sound Quality) .. SQ being a car audio term.

However I'm learning from one of the best car audio engineers, and i've dedicated a site to him (peteybox.com), and when he can do this with a 4" speaker (see link below) I'm struggling to justify why i would need to buy a pair of speakers again. But if i had to, it would be Dynaudio!

Headphones on!! Listen to the sound when 'SuperSteve' is talking.

http://peteybox.com/home-audio/ - watch the first video - My Other Listening Room – A Taster

Jun 8, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In the car audio world Dynaudio are seen as near unbeatable in terms of performance and SQ (Sound Quality) .. SQ being a car audio term.

http://peteybox.com/home-audio/ - watch the first video - My Other Listening Room – A Taster

Those transmission line enclosures are impressive. I wish I had space for a woodworking shop like that. Seems like one could have a lot of fun experimenting with enclosures.

And I agree about Dyns in an automotive environment. I had a Dyn system 220 in my last car, but unfortunately I let it go along with the car. I somewhat regret that and I've been thinking about picking up another set.

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

they are only more expensive because they include stands and grille. Otherwise they are identical to these

http://dynaudioprofessional.com/bm-series/monitors/bm5a-compact/ except have RCA unbal inputs

They haven't revised the BM5A-Compact yet to series II.
The regular BM5A are now in series II and should represent an improvement http://dynaudioprofessional.com/bm-series/monitors/bm5a-mkii/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back