Got my Dynaudio MC 15 ("the high end multimedia speaker") - review
Apr 21, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #16 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, I'am curious as to how you connect the sub to the MC15. Does it have 2 RCA ports for u to plug the speakers into? I'am thinking of adding a sub for my MC15's and am considering the 250 sub by dynaudio...

Basically yes. It has a minijack in, minijack out (it's a pass through, so even if the sub is off, the speakers get the signal).

With other subs, you use the line-in, line-out the same way, but if the sub you choose doesn't have a line out, you can just split the signal using a RCA Y splitter.

Apr 23, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #17 of 57
Oh...I see. Cause I've got a dynaudio dealer pretty close to my place and I was thinking of popping by and getting the 250sub since the Microvee is not available in Mars.

May 25, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #18 of 57
Thanks for the review. I've dreamed about the BMA5's for a while, but I only found out about these today. They retail at £355 (about half the BMA5 price), but i love gut thumping bass. I always remember a long, long time ago, when i heard a pair of Dynaudio speakers, although they were bookshelf speakers, i was quite literally looking for the sub.

What i'm looking for is a lot of bass, with little space. I want something as small as possible that can kick. I'm looking at getting a new ipod, so i was looking at the B&W zeppelin. Do you think the MC 15's will satisfy my need for gut thumping bass...i.e. do the MC 15's follow in the footsteps of its bigger brothers?

I don't want heaps of wires and cables, and black boxes everywhere, and i want a bit of portability, that's why i bought my Beosound 1, but do you think these would be for me?

May 25, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #19 of 57
Nope, if you like to hear bass, I doubt these will come anywhere near satisfying you. The bass basically rolls off below 50Hz rapidly. These are tiny speakers compared to almost everything else Dynaudio makes.

I like solid but not overblown bass. So I decided to add the Velodyne sub to the setup to augment the bass. The speaker has EQ switches so I guess you could set the bass to +2 which would help

I'd recommend the larger BM5A instead, this MC 15 is based on the BM5A Compact, not the standard BM5A. The regular BM5A is larger but still easy to deal with on a desk, and will be more satisfying in the bass

Are they really only £355? That's an excellent price. Here in North America, the BM5A is cheaper than the MC15 because the BM5A are sold at music stores which tend to discount more than hifi dealers that carry the MC15.

May 25, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #20 of 57
as far as i can see £335 not £355, that's the price, but it seems fairly low for a pair Dynaudio's. I can't think that they would be any worse than the B&W Zeppelin speaker thingy!

Special Offers - Audio T
(please leave a pair for me)

i know the BMA5's are £669, so maybe the price is wrong. If they are £335, then happy days

May 28, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #21 of 57
So £660 according to audio T. £669 for the BMA5's...i'll go for the BMA 5's i think.

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #22 of 57
Hi, warpdriver, I am from calgary. Where did you get your MC15?

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #23 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, warpdriver, I am from calgary. Where did you get your MC15?

as far as i can tell, Dynaudio's aren't available online. Its a matter of going on the site and hunting down your local dynaudio dealer. I got mine used from a hi-fi chain. my local store had them for £730. I got mine ex-dem for £560.... i think.

My Beosound 1 had served its purpose, and it was time ofr a change. The dynaudio's aren't the be all and end all, but they sound brilliant. As SQ goes, the best purchase I've ever made.

The BM5.??? you can go on ebay and get them. There is a slight difference in that the MC use an RCA cable, where the BM5a use an XLR cable. xlr to 3.5mm, Electronics items on eBay.com

Maybe in hindsight, the BM5a would be a better choice, but i'm happy with the MC15.

May 1, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #24 of 57
how do you guys control the volume? will pc soundcard's software volume slider work or some pre-amp is needed?

May 1, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #25 of 57
i just plug them staright from what ever source i have via a 3.5 jack or phono plugs. as long as you have some means of controling the volume, you won't need a preamp

May 1, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #26 of 57
ok, thanks
smile.gif
just to be absolutely sure, you did try to plug them into the pc soundcard, right?

May 2, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, thanks
smile.gif
just to be absolutely sure, you did try to plug them into the pc soundcard, right?

Yes, it will work perfectly.

The only caveat is that if you are buying a speaker of this high quality, you might want something better than the average PC soundcard. An outboard soundcard like the Emu 0404 USB is a great match. Something like a Zero DAC has a volume control as well

May 2, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #28 of 57
The new Focus 110 Active is based on their consumer Focus 110 audiophile compact bookshelf.

Price $2500 (the passive version is around $1600 I believe)

Dynaudio - Authentic Fidelity

http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/pdf/DYN_...INT_screen.pdf

Focus_110_maple.jpg

The Focus line is definitely a great sounding speaker, so this Focus 110A should be a noticeable upgrade over the MC15. The tweeter on this line is at least a couple of generations newer than the MC15 Esotec tweeter

May 3, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new Focus 110 Active is based on their consumer Focus 110 audiophile compact bookshelf.

Another alternative is the Focal CMS-50 for about $1K, if you like low level detail and high quality bass from a small package. Designing for mixing, the front port and EQ make them usable in any room.

I guess the Al tweeter is a step down from the Be but it's still sweet. More transparent, less boomy and easier to place than my Dynaudio BM5A monitors which have a rear port.

Best desktop sound I've ever had (that actually fits on a desktop). Recent award described Focal Professional CMS50 wins MIPA award against Genelec 6010 and Event Opal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back