Got my ATH-AD1000s!
Aug 16, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by CingKrab
I hope you get to audition the AD1000; I really enjoyed your DT880/AD2000 comparision thread, and it'd be great if you could offer the same type of analysis for the AD1000/AD2000. Despite all the previous comments, I still hope someone would say they're relatively close in performance. I don't have the money to upgrade right now!
eek.gif

They may be both good, but just in different style tonally.
You don't have to upgrade it right now. It will be wise to stay where you are and be enjoying things in your hands.
600smile.gif

Aug 17, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #34 of 44
Yes, I was surprised that the earpads were not thick enough to prevent the cloth-covered drivers from touching my ears.

My ears are relatively small and lie flat on my head. Someone with ears that stick out might experience more pressure on their ears.

I inserted foam strips inside the earpads to make them thicker. I don't think they affect the sound.

Here, one of the foam strips is pulled out. The diameter of the foam strip is a bit larger than the 6.3mm plug.
AD2000foamstrips1.jpg

AD2000foamstrips2.jpg

AD2000foamstrips3.jpg

Aug 17, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #35 of 44
Yes, the drivers touch my ear lobes as well. I find if I tilt the driver cups forward it helps to alleviate this somewhat.

Aug 17, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
sean-xenos, if you could provide more details it would be helpful for those of us interested in the AD1000 or other AD-Series. There aren't enough members who have heard them as it is. What special dedicated amp are your referring to? I believe negative opinions of gear are valuable, but should preferably be backed up with enough information for readers to make their own judgment.

In your profile you list the Grado RS-1 as your current headphones. I think the AD2000 sounds similar to the RS-1 in many ways. The AD2000 is definitely more like the RS-1 than the DT880, HD600, HD650, K501, or SA5000 (all headphones that I like).

The AD2000 does have less overall bass than the RS-1, but I wouldn't consider it to have very little bass; it has more and better bass than the DT880 in my setup.

rs1smile.gif
I was talking about the AD1000 not the AD2000.
I heard the AD1000 with a Grado RA-1 (that is certainly not an overly bright source) and non-amped from my CDPs phones outlet (neither a bright source) and compared it to my RS-1, the HD650 and the DT880.

It's possible that the AD1000 sounds completely different than the AD2000 (that I have never heard). In any of my settings the AD1000 sounded shrill and way too bright.
That's why I think that the AD1000 needs some kind of equalization or a special amp (may be one of the Audio Technica models). In my settings the AD1000 sounded unbearable.

Aug 17, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #37 of 44
sean-xenos, thanks for providing more details.

One reason I was interested in more info about the AD1000 is that the AD2000 is bright, too. I think it is brighter than the DT880, RS-1 or SA5000, though I don't have much listening time with the SA5000.

I've experienced more shrillness with the DT880 or RS-1 than the AD2000. The DT880's treble can sometimes be a bit much while the AD2000 doesn't exhibit any treble harshness. This may sound contradictory, but I feel the AD2000 is brighter without sounding harsh or shrill. It's a "comfortable" brightness with a high level of treble detail.

CingKrab, apologies for not posting more about the AD1000. With the lack of discussion about the AD-Series here, I see the thread title as "Got my ATH-AD1000/2000s!"
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #38 of 44
Thaks a lot, buddy~
orphsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by oScARSr
oh...that was modified by myself.(of course the original pic is not my work)

the original :

click me

and here is my ugly modified version:

click me

my fingers are broken now so i cannot make a new one rightnow.

Aug 17, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

CingKrab, I don't think my AD2000 vs. DT880 comparison was well-written, but thanks. Don't worry so much about upgrading from the AD1000. On Head-Fi, it's easy to get caught up in the high-end gear being discussed and forget that your own equipment is already very good.

--

Hi martycat, good to see you here.

It's been a while since I heard the SA5000. I liked it, but not as much as the AD2000. If I didn't have the AD2000, I might pick the SA5000 over the DT880. Given the relatively low price of the DT880, I think it's an excellent value. If you like all three and find it difficult to decide, buy the DT880 first. Later, you can either sell it and buy another or add the SA5000/AD Series.

I would like Round 2 between your SR-71 and my SuperMacro-3. I remember most people preferred your SR-71. Now that I'm using Class A biased opamps, my SM3 sounds better than before.
evil_smiley.gif

Hi Elephas,

Yay~ I share the same view with you so I just got my DT880 today. =)
I'm waiting the chance to audition SA5000 and decide which to go then. Anyway, so nice for you to let me try the AD2000 and my wallet is shivering in fear!
evil_smiley.gif
Hopefully I'll upgrade my source first after this DT880 purchasing.
I also think SMV3 is a good one especially its size. IMO, it doesn't obviously inferior to SR-71 but they just sound pretty different. SMV3 has a forward sound while SR-71 is more spacious. It's quite tempting to try your Class A SMV3! BTW, you are in Taiwan now?
There are some new portable amps out there too! AE-1 and the coming Hornet and new Pocket Reference. Feel like getting any of them?
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #40 of 44
yup,
the cups are somewhat uncomfortable. they leave no spaces for your ears.

How do you feel the pressure on your ears from the headband? I feel so fitting. bowls and pads are also especially comfortable, since the materials are special.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mneuwiueyagaobcf
Do any other of the AD2000 owners feel that the ear cups can be uncomfortable as your ear lobes actually touch the driver due to the size of the earpiece?

Aug 18, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #41 of 44
martycat, YGPM (offtopic to this thread).

The AD2000 clamps on my head fairly tightly, but it's not uncomfortable. I can shake my head vigorously without any slippage. I would prefer a slightly lower clamping force, but it's fine for extended listening sessions.

The material of the earpads are very comfortable. They don't heat up like my previous ATH-A700's pleather pads. The pads feel better than the DT880 pads.

Aug 18, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

martycat, YGPM (offtopic to this thread).

The AD2000 clamps on my head fairly tightly, but it's not uncomfortable. I can shake my head vigorously without any slippage. I would prefer a slightly lower clamping force, but it's fine for extended listening sessions.

The material of the earpads are very comfortable. They don't heat up like my previous ATH-A700's pleather pads. The pads feel better than the DT880 pads.

Hi all,
I also own the AD2000 and yes the ear pads clamp on my head tight, but I think thats because I have a big head. Smaller head should have a bit more comfort. It's one size fits all with no adjustment. Likewise with other AT cans using the flex-rod structure, I have noticed that prolonged use will gradually loosen the fit, since the ones I tried for demos in several tokyo electronic stores were noticably less tight/looser than my new one.

Aug 18, 2005 at 10:42 AM Post #43 of 44
I have a normal sized head and my ad2000s apply minimal pressure on the sides. The headphones are featherlight so they are supremely comfortable around the head however they can irritate the ears. The Audio Technica Wing headband design is the best headphone headband design imo.

Sep 12, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mneuwiueyagaobcf
Do any other of the AD2000 owners feel that the ear cups can be uncomfortable as your ear lobes actually touch the driver due to the size of the earpiece?

DEFINITLY!!!! Its comfortable when you first put them on but after a while, omg!! its beginning to hurt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back