Got my ATH-AD1000s!
Aug 3, 2005 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

CingKrab

100+ Head-Fier
Well, AD1000s got here today. My first impression is that 3D Wing system is pretty cool and gives a comfortable fit. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with the onboard sound from my laptop, so I don't know what to say about the sound yet. Is anyone interested in nudies? If so I'll take some pics.

Aug 3, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by CingKrab
Is anyone interested in nudies? If so I'll take some pics.

Please do.. and a full review would be nice.

Aug 3, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 44
I'll post some pictures in the next few days. I am refraining from commenting on the sound because quite frankly, my laptop's onboard audio sounds like ass. It sounds like ass on my MX500s and it also sounds like ass on my PortaPros, so I'm not expecting a miracle on the AD1000s. I certainly don't have golden ears like some members here, but when I get back to my rig at home (around end of August), I'll compare them to my HD-580s.

Aug 4, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 44
I took some pictures today. Please leave some feedback as to how I can improve upon the quality of these shots or which shots you would like to see that I missed.

Top down:

The left driver (plus my hand):

Front of box:

Warranty paper (the only part I can read is "3 years"):

The mini jack along with assorted junk. The metal part is kind of warm for some reason:

Outside of the left driver:

3D Wing support system:

Aug 4, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 44
its pretty cool, man.
I own an AD2000, lets find some differences between them.

Aug 5, 2005 at 8:27 AM Post #6 of 44
AD2000? Cool... I was comtemplating those, but they're really out of my price range. From what I can remember, they're lighter than the AD1000s and they have a higher quality cable right? Lol... looking at your system, it looks our gear is similar, except yours is a step (or few) above mine:

1616 -> 0404
HD600 -> HD580
AD2000 -> AD1000

What do you feel about the AD2000 as compared to the HD600? I really can't wait 'til I get back and compare them.

Aug 13, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by CingKrab
AD2000? Cool... I was comtemplating those, but they're really out of my price range. From what I can remember, they're lighter than the AD1000s and they have a higher quality cable right? Lol... looking at your system, it looks our gear is similar, except yours is a step (or few) above mine:

1616 -> 0404
HD600 -> HD580
AD2000 -> AD1000

What do you feel about the AD2000 as compared to the HD600? I really can't wait 'til I get back and compare them.

Hi,
They are totally different styles. HD600 has a larger soundstage. This is its advantage. It is a good match for classical music. But it also has an overall blurry sound compare to AD2000. AD2000 is much more and more detailed and speedy. A re-cable HD600 should improve its overall performance, but it is limited.

Aug 13, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu
Hi,
They are totally different styles. HD600 has a larger soundstage. This is its advantage. It is a good match for classical music. But it also has an overall blurry sound compare to AD2000. AD2000 is much more and more detailed and speedy. A re-cable HD600 should improve its overall performance, but it is limited.

OT: you are the second person I know who is from the same city and province as me
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
OT: you are the second person I know who is from the same city and province as me
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi, Nice to meet you!
you are the first person I know who is from the same city and province as me!
I would like to meet you sometime~~~
280smile.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

Hi, Nice to meet you!
280smile.gif

I would really love to do that. I'm about to get a CM-7 and would really like to audition it if possible....damn, your gear owns mine!
tongue.gif
and judging from your name....you are a chinese? that may make us the same race too
tongue.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Hi, Nice to meet you!
280smile.gif

Hey! I want in on some of this meeting action. I am in Halifax too!

I have some MS1's, thats about all I can afford.

Nice phones you have!!!

Aug 13, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mailliw
Hey! I want in on some of this meeting action. I am in Halifax too!

I have some MS1's, thats about all I can afford.

Nice phones you have!!!

and you're not sleeping? it's 2:50am now (look who's speaking LOL)
damn ms-1.....I need to audition that as well....so...when are we gonna ahve a mini meet here?
biggrin.gif
i was about to get the ms-1 but i decided to go for er6...and it has been shipped today.

Aug 13, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
and you're not sleeping? it's 2:50am now (look who's speaking LOL)
damn ms-1.....I need to audition that as well....so...when are we gonna ahve a mini meet here?
biggrin.gif
i was about to get the ms-1 but i decided to go for er6...and it has been shipped today.

Hahaha I am up late playing counter-strike :p

Aug 13, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #14 of 44
All right, it's great that you both live in the same city, but can we get back to the ATH-AD Series?
biggrin.gif

There aren't many Head-Fiers who own or have heard the AD Series, and not much discussion about them.

I like listening to the AD2000 more than any other headphone I've heard so far, including the RS-1, MS-Pro, DT880, K501, HD600, HD650, SA5000 and K1000.

Last week I listened to a demo AD700 at a local headphone shop and it sounded very different than the AD2000. They also carry the AD1000 but I haven't heard it yet. I'll ask them for a demo session next time I go.

edisonwu, how about sending your AD2000 to a long-time member with credibility so he can tell Head-Fi how great it sounds?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back