Got my ATH-AD1000s!
Aug 13, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #16 of 44
cool job.

I've owned the AD1000 for about 4 months, but i dont like its overdoing treble.
(My avatar girl is still wearing the AD1000
biggrin.gif
)

The W11JPN is much better.
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
All right, it's great that you both live in the same city, but can we get back to the ATH-AD Series?
biggrin.gif

There aren't many Head-Fiers who own or have heard the AD Series, and not much discussion about them.

I like listening to the AD2000 more than any other headphone I've heard so far, including the RS-1, MS-Pro, DT880, K501, HD600, HD650, SA5000 and K1000.

Last week I listened to a demo AD700 at a local headphone shop and it sounded very different than the AD2000. They also carry the AD1000 but I haven't heard it yet. I'll ask them for a demo session next time I go.

edisonwu, how about sending your AD2000 to a long-time member with credibility so he can tell Head-Fi how great it sounds?
biggrin.gif

hi,Elephas.

It's always good and exciting to know and meet a head-fier who is in the same city as mine here. We are living in a small city in Canada. Canadian here are not that much, it is even less Canadian here who's living in Halifax.

All I can talk about the AD2000 is a new evolution of the whole AT cans. It has a high-end build quality, extremely lightweight, comfort with bowl pads and 3D wings. The sound is more natural, more bright, speedy, and more detailed than any other AT cans before. Overall tones are more separated in space. I have never ever heard any cans with such a great Bass performed as well. Some people say it sounds like L3000, actually L3000 is more like elegance, AD2000 is delivered more with energy and emotion.

Since AD2000 in America and europe is much more expensive than people's expectation. The price and ways to buy stop people trying the new generational can. I agree with you if more people try it, more would like to buy it.

I haven't seen or touched a AD1000. People say it is quite different from AD2000 in tonal presentation. I am so expecting to hear one of them. After that I may more confirm my current evaluation on AD2000.

Aug 13, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
I would really love to do that. I'm about to get a CM-7 and would really like to audition it if possible....damn, your gear owns mine!
tongue.gif
and judging from your name....you are a chinese? that may make us the same race too
tongue.gif

Good to konw you.
CM7TI is a great eraphone. I like it even more than ER4. It is so sweet and warm.
Do you speak chinese?
orphsmile.gif

Aug 14, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by oScARSr
cool job.

I've owned the AD1000 for about 4 months, but i dont like its overdoing treble.
(My avatar girl is still wearing the AD1000
biggrin.gif
)

The W11JPN is much better.
biggrin.gif

Hi, oScARSr.
would you mind sharing me the original pic of you avatar girl?
where did you get it? is there an AD2000 edition?
orphsmile.gif

Aug 14, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

All right, it's great that you both live in the same city, but can we get back to the ATH-AD Series?
biggrin.gif

There aren't many Head-Fiers who own or have heard the AD Series, and not much discussion about them.

I like listening to the AD2000 more than any other headphone I've heard so far, including the RS-1, MS-Pro, DT880, K501, HD600, HD650, SA5000 and K1000.

Last week I listened to a demo AD700 at a local headphone shop and it sounded very different than the AD2000. They also carry the AD1000 but I haven't heard it yet. I'll ask them for a demo session next time I go.

edisonwu, how about sending your AD2000 to a long-time member with credibility so he can tell Head-Fi how great it sounds?
biggrin.gif

Elephas, are you talking about hifi.com.tw? I asked them about the AD1000 a couple of months back and they said it wasn't available for listening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
nice hello kitty doll man!

LOL thanks! I think I dropped that thing (it's a keychain) a few too many times though
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #21 of 44
Well there seems to be alot of talk here about the ATH-AD series of headphones. I'm going to get a pair of ATH-AD900 soon and I was wondering what you guys think of them? I've heard alot about the ATH-A900 but not much on the ATH-AD900.

Cheers

Aug 14, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu
Hi, oScARSr.
would you mind sharing me the original pic of you avatar girl?
where did you get it? is there an AD2000 edition?
orphsmile.gif

oh...that was modified by myself.(of course the original pic is not my work)

the original :

click me

and here is my ugly modified version:

click me

my fingers are broken now so i cannot make a new one rightnow.

Aug 14, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #23 of 44
edisonwu, I understand about living in a small city; hope you have a fun meet soon.

CingKrab, yes, I'm talking about hifi.com.tw. I assume you've been to their store.

As you probably know, they have many demo pairs of headphones. However, the ones that are new in the box are for sale, not for demos. They may let you listen to one, if you ask nicely and are a potential buyer.

If they let many people listen to the ones in the boxes, those are not 'new' anymore and cannot be sold as such. I am not sure if they will let me listen to the AD1000; I'm just hoping.

Anyway, I appreciate the headphone gear they let customers listen to. No other place I've been to does this. If it wasn't for hifi, I would be tempted to open a headphone store.

JackFrost 77, actually there isn't much talk about the AD Series on Head-Fi. I haven't heard any other AD Series besides the AD700 and AD2000. They sound very different.
Check this thread for some AD900 owners. http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116008

Aug 14, 2005 at 11:26 AM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu
I haven't seen or touched a AD1000. People say it is quite different from AD2000 in tonal presentation. I am so expecting to hear one of them. After that I may more confirm my current evaluation on AD2000.

I owned three headphones of the ATH-AD Series, they are AD500, AD1000 and AD2000. AD2000 and AD1000 are totally different... which is much more balanced in every way of their presentation. I sold AD1000 for my AD2000 upgrade, and expected to hear some familiar sound from it, and I was wrong
etysmile.gif

AD1000 is very "thin", I may say its sound is very light-weighted, clean, and merely have bass (but still remains great details). I think there's no other AD-Series like it. (comparing to the AD-Series I've listened: AD400/500/700/1000/2000)

Aug 15, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

CingKrab, yes, I'm talking about hifi.com.tw. I assume you've been to their store.

As you probably know, they have many demo pairs of headphones. However, the ones that are new in the box are for sale, not for demos. They may let you listen to one, if you ask nicely and are a potential buyer.

If they let many people listen to the ones in the boxes, those are not 'new' anymore and cannot be sold as such. I am not sure if they will let me listen to the AD1000; I'm just hoping.

Anyway, I appreciate the headphone gear they let customers listen to. No other place I've been to does this. If it wasn't for hifi, I would be tempted to open a headphone store.

I hope you get to audition the AD1000; I really enjoyed your DT880/AD2000 comparision thread, and it'd be great if you could offer the same type of analysis for the AD1000/AD2000. Despite all the previous comments, I still hope someone would say they're relatively close in performance. I don't have the money to upgrade right now!
eek.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #27 of 44
Hi Elephas! I'm the guy from HongKong who met you last time at our open meeting.
biggrin.gif

How will you compare the SA5k to AD2k or DT880? I've tried your AD2k last time and got pretty impressed! However I also like DT880... so I feel a bit torn between them. And I would like to know about SA5k too because I like detail and mid to treble a lot... Sony headphone is not popular in HongKong (Say SA series and CD3k... not to mention R10 and Qualia 010...) so I haven't got chance to touch any of Sony cans.

Quote:

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #28 of 44
CingKrab, I don't think my AD2000 vs. DT880 comparison was well-written, but thanks. Don't worry so much about upgrading from the AD1000. On Head-Fi, it's easy to get caught up in the high-end gear being discussed and forget that your own equipment is already very good.

--

Hi martycat, good to see you here.

It's been a while since I heard the SA5000. I liked it, but not as much as the AD2000. If I didn't have the AD2000, I might pick the SA5000 over the DT880. Given the relatively low price of the DT880, I think it's an excellent value. If you like all three and find it difficult to decide, buy the DT880 first. Later, you can either sell it and buy another or add the SA5000/AD Series.

I would like Round 2 between your SR-71 and my SuperMacro-3. I remember most people preferred your SR-71. Now that I'm using Class A biased opamps, my SM3 sounds better than before.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 8:37 AM Post #29 of 44
I borrowed an AD1000 from a fellow head-fier and was not impressed at all by the sound.
Very thin, exaggerated highs, very little bass, very unpleasant. This headphone certainly needs a special dedicated amp to sound good.
Built quality was good, comfortable to wear.

Aug 16, 2005 at 10:36 AM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by sean-xenos
I borrowed an AD1000 from a fellow head-fier and was not impressed at all by the sound.
Very thin, exaggerated highs, very little bass, very unpleasant. This headphone certainly needs a special dedicated amp to sound good.
Built quality was good, comfortable to wear.

sean-xenos, if you could provide more details it would be helpful for those of us interested in the AD1000 or other AD-Series. There aren't enough members who have heard them as it is. What special dedicated amp are your referring to? I believe negative opinions of gear are valuable, but should preferably be backed up with enough information for readers to make their own judgment.

In your profile you list the Grado RS-1 as your current headphones. I think the AD2000 sounds similar to the RS-1 in many ways. The AD2000 is definitely more like the RS-1 than the DT880, HD600, HD650, K501, or SA5000 (all headphones that I like).

The AD2000 does have less overall bass than the RS-1, but I wouldn't consider it to have very little bass; it has more and better bass than the DT880 in my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back