Got my (5-blade) Gillette Fusion Power...
Jan 29, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #16 of 135
I remember when my electric crapped out and I had a function to go to I had to shave.

So I taught myself how to do it, just wet the face with warm water. Fill the sink with warm water and make sure you dab the blade in there...lather on some shaving cream witht he warm water and go over it.

You will feel resistance the first time which is natural (unless you feel too much, that means you need to trim it with a electric first. If this is your first time you might need to shave 2-3 times to get it just right but after a while you get used to the force you need to apply and such... it's like driving a car.

5 blades might be a bit much for a beginner though.

Jan 29, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #17 of 135
Scared to shave with a blade?
tongue.gif

I've been known to travel with only my Spyderco Delica for grooming duties.

10616.jpg

That's hardcore.

Jan 29, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #18 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
3. Barbasol is it: If you are spending a buck for a can of shave cream, you are spending too much. Yes, I've tried the expensive, the stinky, and the new and in each and every case been disappointed. Most did not work as well as good old Barbasol, none worked better. This is one point where you don't have to be scammed by marketing (and can save dough for audio kit
biggrin.gif
)

And I thought I was the only one who went with the cheap stuff. But like you, I've tried the rest and good old Barbasol is still the best. Menthol is my favorite.

A_Sr.

Jan 29, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #19 of 135
I like Barbasol and Colgate creams ok but I find that the gels (especially Gillette) cause less pull and friction. I guess that could be a bad thing though for people who are liable to go too fast and cut themselves in that case. I have a Mach3 and a Quattro (that I got free). I prefer the Mach3 and especially with Turbo blades, but the Quattro shaves just as well, only it isn't as smooth and the blades clog with hair more easily.

Jan 29, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #23 of 135
This may sound rather unmanly, but I use a product called Ambrosia, from LUSH. A girl I was seeing started me on it, it's all natural, my face doesn't respond well to the regular gilette crap.

Jan 29, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #24 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
The Mach III is the first razor to let me get away with shaving every other day. I started with this sucker back in September and the first cartridge made it to the new year, of course I only change blades when the old one isn't working perfectly. Three and a half months aint bad.
biggrin.gif

You can't be screw** serious!
I change my double-edge sensor every Monday morning. Three months, you must have stainless-steel skin!
tongue.gif

Jan 29, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #25 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon.
This may sound rather unmanly, but I use a product called Ambrosia, from LUSH. A girl I was seeing started me on it, it's all natural, my face doesn't respond well to the regular gilette crap.

I've used that before aswell, I liked it alot...maybe I'll go and get some again...

Jan 29, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #26 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xert
another vote for barbasol here

Same here, barbasol is good stuff.

Jan 29, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #27 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Czilla9000
I have spent $500 on flagship electric razors over the years, but none of them shaved close enough (on my neck) for my hair-hating mother. She told me that if I did switch to a hand razor soon she would take a knife to my face/neck
rolleyes.gif
. My mother had my dad shave off his hitler-stach
tongue.gif
after they married.

Jesus had a beard....I wonder if his mother influenced his grooming habits.
and the Hitler-Stach is kinda kewl , dont know anybody with one after WWII , could be the next fad.
The Don Johnson stubble beard is still in fashion and its an easy to maintain look.
If you want to shave with a blade , get the cheap bic single edge razors . Use a good shaving cream after a shower (softens the beard).
Tell mom to lay off....yer a dude with testosterone...get an apartment

Jan 29, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #28 of 135
When I'm not letting my deceased Remington R9170 electric razor tear off my skin (it's old, worn out, and the battery no longer holds a charge), I use a Mach III with the Gilette Aloe shaving cream. I've never tried otherwise, but this combo works very well, to the point where when I'm done shaving (a long process, not worth the effort compared to the electric), I cannot feel anything on my face whatsoever. Not to mention the aloe cools your face nicely. The only problem is that the blades wear out insanely fast, much faster than the little blue strip wants you to think. Mine came with three cartidges, and I've shaved about 10 times with this razor and I'm on my third. If the blade isn't brand new, it'll feel like your hairs are being pulled out of your face one by one. I'm going to consider the 5-blade one also since this one doesn't get all of the hairs the first or second time around.

As for electric, I'm looking for a replacement for my Remington. Preferably one with less spring to the blades (these circles won't lay straight unless you press hard, resulting in more skin irritation), and one with less irritation. Also, this one never gets the long ones on my neck. To put it simply, it sucks, don't buy it.

I've tried the Braun Activator my dad has and it cuts nicely, but only the shortest hairs, meaning I'd have to shave every day with it. It also deals out a heavy amount of irritation, but then again maybe I'm just used to pressing too hard with my Remington.

Jan 29, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #29 of 135
Hello,

Wetshaving does generally produce a much closer shave than electric, and I also use a Panasonic when I am on the go.

I would suggest that you spend some time with shavemyface.com. Lots of useful info. They are to shaving what head-fi is to portable music.

I would also disagree with those who believe that Barbisol is IT. If it works for you, so be it. Most of the canned creams do not lubricate very well and tend to dry the skin. I also am not a big fan of most gels, although Aveeno is one of the best. One of most economical shaves is Colgate in the red tube, but I would probably start with Aveeno if I was you.

You will get a much better shave if you invest in a shaving brush. Many independent drug stores have inexpensive ones that will let you get started, but if you do find value in it, a more expensive brush will give you even better results. The Colgate cream can be used with a brush to good effect. Or you can get Williams shaving soap in most drug stores.

Now the razor. Many men love the Gilette cartridge razors such as the Mach 3. They shield the blade to make it more difficult to cut yourself, but that means that you have to press down harder than a single blade, which leads to more irritation. If you like the idea of a cartridge razor, then either the Mach 3 or Sensor is, I believe, your best bet. I would not fool with the vibration for now, until you get used to shaving manually.

A better shave, although one that with a learning curve can be had using BIC Sensitive Skin disposible razor. It is easier to cut yourself than with the Gillettes, but when you get good with it, you get a closer shave.

Now the shave. Feel your face and you will find that your beard has a direction of hair growth. The direction may vary with different parts of your face. Especially as you are learning, shave only with the grain. As you get better at it, you may want to take a second pass against or cross direction.

Good luck.

Barry

Jan 29, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #30 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
You can't be screw** serious!

Eatcherheartout.
biggrin.gif

Edit: Come to think of it, I was in Alaska for the last two weeks of September and up North on the Spaniels' Fall Vacation for the first two weeks of October. That month was shaving with the three blade disposable Schick in my travel kit. Guess it was just two and a half months on the first Turbo III cartridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back