Got My 2MAX from Sensaphonics
May 31, 2014 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

spazz

Head-Fier
I ended up getting new earphones.  This time I went with Sensaphonics that are made from silicone.  They fit much better than the Westone.  A lot more comfortable.  They made small tabs on the ear pieces for a better grip.  (I can't insert my earphones in myself because of my disability.)  They sound different than the Westone.  They are not basey, but more neutral and easier on the ears because of the silicone material.

I ended up getting the 2Max model.  It has dual drivers.  They said that I would like them better over the triple drivers.  The 3Max has a lot more base.  

It's a different sound than the Westone.  Instead having the sound in front of you, the Sensaphonics sounds more immerse.

Here are some pictures.

Aug 7, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 15
I'm still very impress with my 2MAX.  Each time I put them in my ears, they are pure bliss.  Simply awesome and they sound much more natural than my other iem's.  Since I got my 2MAX, I don't remember where I left my other earphones.  I should had gotten the 2MAX a lot sooner.  I haven't missed the 5 drivers jamming in my ears either from my Westone.  

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 15
I had one problem with the fitting.  The cable connector was rubbing on my ear, making them to hurt.  Sensaphonics remade the earphone for me and I haven't had anymore fitting issues.  Also, the silicone is much more durable than others.  I have a Jodi Vac to vacuum out any wax in the earphones and I also have a Dry & Store that I use regularly to draw out any moisture.   

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 15
  I'm still very impress with my 2MAX.  Each time I put them in my ears, they are pure bliss.  Simply awesome and they sound much more natural than my other iem's.  Since I got my 2MAX, I don't remember where I left my other earphones.  I should had gotten the 2MAX a lot sooner.  I haven't missed the 5 drivers jamming in my ears either from my Westone.  

I can tell this from your picture!

Nice to see someone enjoying himself 
tongue.gif
 This is a great hobby.

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 15
I was this close at getting the 3MAX, but Sensaphonics talk me out of it after I told them my listening habits.  I mostly listen to audiobooks and music on my IPod.  I really liked their honesty.  

Oh, the clear cable wasn't long enough for me.  They sent me the black cable that is made by Shure.  The clear cable is much more rigid, where the black cable is much more easier to use.  

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 15
If you don't mind me asking, how do you clean your Sensaphonics?  

I think you were right to go with Sensaphonics' suggestion in terms of the 2MAX and your listening preferences.

For cleaning my set, I just make sure to gently use the tool provided to remove earwax, with the opening facing downwards so no loosened particles of wax go further in. The other major concern is moisture. First, I allow my ear canals to dry after a shower before using my earphones. Then, I put my earphones in the case with packets of dessicant to absorb any moisture remaining.

I also wipe them with audiowipes, a silicone and acrylic safe non-alcohol based wipe.

Hope that helps!

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 15
Thanks for the tips.  I find that using the Jodi Vac helps a lot at cleaning out the earwax.  It's a lot easier than using the pic, but you have to be careful to not to poke the silicone with the needle.  

Sep 28, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #11 of 15
Hi Jack,  I wanted to ask about the noise reduction in sensaphonics models.  Some earplugs are rated with a "Noise Reduction Rating" (NRR).  NRR is measured in dB, but according to one website, NRR is not the number of dB that is cut.  
     http://www.coopersafety.com/noisereduction.aspx

According to that website:
     dB_cut = (NRR-7)/2

Seems like an odd way to define noise reduction amounts.

Do you know if the noise reduction numbers on Sensaphonics IEMs are being listed as NRR, or simply as the number of dB that I should subtract from the outside sound level?

Thanks,
-Eric

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 15
  Hi Jack,  I wanted to ask about the noise reduction in sensaphonics models.  Some earplugs are rated with a "Noise Reduction Rating" (NRR).  NRR is measured in dB, but according to one website, NRR is not the number of dB that is cut.  
     http://www.coopersafety.com/noisereduction.aspx

According to that website:
     dB_cut = (NRR-7)/2

Seems like an odd way to define noise reduction amounts.

Do you know if the noise reduction numbers on Sensaphonics IEMs are being listed as NRR, or simply as the number of dB that I should subtract from the outside sound level?

Thanks,
-Eric

That's a big kettle of fish you just opened. I'll start by stating that I'm not an audiologist. NRR is a required spec on hearing protection products (earplugs, gun muffs, etc.). IEMs are NOT hearing protection products, so NRR does not apply to them. (Fun fact: There are actually foam earplugs on the market with an official NRR spec of ZERO!)

Thus, the Sensaphonics isolation specification is not based on NRR. This is, AFAIK, true for all IEM manufacturers, even those who just "copycat" their specs without actually measuring anything (and yes, sadly, that does happen).

As you noted, Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) is definitely NOT the same as the number of decibels below ambience. NRR is an industrial measure, used primarily for worker safety. For instance, the article you linked to mentions 3M E-A-R foamies as having a NRR=27. They do a good job of blocking high frequencies, but not so much the lows, which is why they (and all foam-type earplugs) sound so muffled and bassy. Bass is just much tougher to block.

Contrast this with the Etymotic ER-20 High Fidelity Earplugs (universal fit). They sound WAY better than any foam plug because they block lows about as well as higher frequencies, producing a much better balanced musical response. Yet the ER-20 (which is typically described as supplying 20 dB of broadband reduction) carries an NRR of only 12.

To get a good idea of the real-world broadband noise reduction of any given headworn audio product, you would need to graph a frequency sweep. For IEMs, you would need to take that measurement within a sealed ear canal. Not a trivial operation.

For those who really want to learn all about the details of industrial noise measurement, I would refer you to this excruciatingly detailed, yet somehow unofficial, PDF from the Centers for Disease Control:
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/z-draft-under-review-do-not-cite/hpdcompdev/pdfs/NIOSH_Compendium_Calculation.pdf

Hope this is more helpful than distracting...

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #13 of 15
Jack,

Thanks for the info on NRR.  I understand the dB stuff you were describing.  I would be interested to know if Sensaphonics actually computed the dB reduction as a function of frequency.  It's ok, though.  Obviously this is not super pertinent.

Thanks,
-Eric

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #14 of 15
I had to send in my 2Max twice due to wax and moisture.  They had to remake my left monitor and this time, they managed to save my right monitor by cleaning them out.  I get a lot of wax in my ears.  Every few months, I'm going to flush them out.  What can I do to take care of my 2Max other than the pick?

Sensaphonics suggested that I try moisture wicks, but I have a Dry & Store.  Should I be putting the 2Max in the Dry & Store every night, before I go to bed?  

Apr 24, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #15 of 15
I had to send in my 2Max twice due to wax and moisture.  They had to remake my left monitor and this time, they managed to save my right monitor by cleaning them out.  I get a lot of wax in my ears.  Every few months, I'm going to flush them out.  What can I do to take care of my 2Max other than the pick?

Sensaphonics suggested that I try moisture wicks, but I have a Dry & Store.  Should I be putting the 2Max in the Dry & Store every night, before I go to bed?  

Yes, clean and dry each night.

Actually, that's good advice for ciems or ears!

P.S. there are gentle ear washes that can be used weekly, available in any pharmacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back