got free Sony MDR-7506 - any good?
Jul 29, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbucla2005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may be that I am used to headphones more geared towards audiophiles and consumers and am trying to use these in a home audio application with a tube amp. But they are still not bad, better than my Senn HD25-1's with this amp.

I wouldn't have thought that using them OTL would work all that great either, considering they are listed at 62 ohms, so that may have something to do with it. That; and they are in the end still phones in the under $100 range and we really can't expect too much of them!
biggrin.gif

I'm thinking of getting a set of V6 to get the kids to leave my MS-1 alone, and to give me a set of closed cans I can hide in just to get away of the noise of the kids for a while!

Over-all; from what I've read thus far, I'm rather impressed by them!

Jul 30, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't have thought that using them OTL would work all that great either, considering they are listed at 62 ohms, so that may have something to do with it. That; and they are in the end still phones in the under $100 range and we really can't expect too much of them!
biggrin.gif

I'll try them in tranny mode tonight. I didn't think about that. I think it sounds even more bright and screechy though that way.
blink.gif

Jul 30, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #19 of 25
Please PM me with a generous offer to take them off your unappreciative hands.
biggrin.gif

No seriously.

Jul 30, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #20 of 25
Ok, I am no longer unappreciative. Using them with the amp in transformer mode is a lot better, much more defined and natural sounding. I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions about these headphones without trying this first. I need to give them a chance and listen to them now. I've only been listening to them for 10 minutes, and it's much, much better. I never knew the impedence rating on these, but it makes sense it would work better in transformer mode if its 62 ohms. I obviously didn't really give this configuration a chance yet.

It sounds a lot more balanced and easy on the ears now. Thanks.
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #21 of 25
IMO these cans, while not the best sounding, are among the best designed cans for portability and durability. Aside from the flaking pleather problem, my 7506's have been battered & bruised, but are still going strong for 5 years without a hitch. They take a lickin' but keep on tickin'!

Jul 30, 2007 at 10:58 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbucla2005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I am no longer unappreciative. Using them with the amp in transformer mode is a lot better, much more defined and natural sounding. I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions about these headphones without trying this first. I need to give them a chance and listen to them now. I've only been listening to them for 10 minutes, and it's much, much better. I never knew the impedence rating on these, but it makes sense it would work better in transformer mode if its 62 ohms. I obviously didn't really give this configuration a chance yet.

It sounds a lot more balanced and easy on the ears now. Thanks.
biggrin.gif

*whew*Glad to hear that they're sounding better! I can leave the V6(or even the 7506)on my list after all! I was gettin' nervous there for a while!

Jul 30, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #23 of 25
The V6 is one of those cans that I will NEVER be without, no matter what other more expensive cans I have around.

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #25 of 25
I've been using them for a few days now in transformer mode, no problems at all. I feel stupid now, after complaining about them for days on end. doh
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back