got free Sony MDR-7506 - any good?
Jul 29, 2007 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Jbucla2005

1000+ Head-Fier
I may be looking for Senn 580's but in the mean time, these seem ok with my MG Head OTL, but nothing too special.

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:43 AM Post #3 of 25
Remember that guy from some old thread that got like 4 pages of gimme gimme gimme in response to his offer to give away free Sony MDR-7506's? And then there was no response from the OP? Well... this has nothing to do with that, but I got a free pair and just think it's funny that I found that thread... and was thinking the same thing.
biggrin.gif

Anyone want some free Sony MDR-7506's??
biggrin.gif
They aren't bad but they just aren't very good either. I find it to be a rather blah sound overall, nothing really enjoyable about it. It may be good for studio professionals because it gives you an idea of what the average system will sound like (crap!)
plainface.gif

This is all in my personal opinion, though. I got them from school since I'm studying Audio Production. Actually I just got accepted, if I can get to my classes on time I might actually not get kicked out, which would be nice, because it's the coolest thing ever to be learning, and I really have to thank head-fi a lot for developing my interesting in these things.
biggrin.gif

***BIG HUGZ TO HEAD-FI***

I almost want to really give these away for free (unlike the other guy) just in honor of how cool this website is. But I'm a cheapskate so I'm not sure yet.

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1967cutlass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my honest opinion they sound screechy and horrible. I wouldn't consider them to be any good but some do (for some reason).

Our director was telling us that they were the absolute best headphones you could possibly get for our purposes... blah. I used my Senn HD25-1's at school and they work fine. But I am now using these Sony's at home with MG Head OTL. They actually work better in OTL mode than the HD25-1's do. The HD25-1's aren't a good match for this amp.

I would have to agree these are some pretty crappy headphones. I have to play everything low to avoid the artificially bright sound hurting my ears, and even then it's just totally blah. I can hear most of the details, but the bass is just boomy and annoying and the highs are as you say, screechy.

On the plus side they have sturdy construction, are portable, isolate sound well, and sound OK, just not very listenable or exciting for home-use. Maybe something to toss around for backup purposes..

Jul 29, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 25
IMO they're fairly good closed cans for the price...once they are equalized. They have a lot of nasty peaks around 3k-10k that make the headphones near unlistenable unless they are fixed. After that I think they have good punchy bass, smooth mids and then good highs, with a fairly good amount of detail. Then again you can argue you can equalize any cans.....

Though I am confused on why people say they are good portable cans though. They are heavy, have a long coiled cord and there's really no way they are listenable without equalization.

Jul 29, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO they're fairly good closed cans for the price...once they are equalized. They have a lot of nasty peaks around 3k-10k that make the headphones near unlistenable unless they are fixed. After that I think they have good punchy bass, smooth mids and then good highs, with a fairly good amount of detail. Then again you can argue you can equalize any cans.....

Though I am confused on why people say they are good portable cans though. They are heavy, have a long coiled cord and there's really no way they are listenable without equalization.

Yea, I didn't mean to sound harsh (no pun intended.) No really they are OK. I haven't tried a lot of closed phones to compare them to. I was kidding about giving them away, I think these would be nice to have around. They seem to have a fairly heavy, boomy bass that probably lends itself well to hip hop type music. They are a bit heavy for portable use, but I like how the earcups twist around freely and they seem hard to abuse overall.

Jul 29, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #9 of 25
maybe it is just not a good match for this amp.

Jul 29, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just in case you don't know (although you most likely DO know) the MDR-7506 are the same headphones as the MDR-V6.

Except for the frequency response? From wiki:

"The Sony MDR-V6 was superseded by the Sony MDR-7506 with only minor cosmetic differences and a different frequency response, such as the latter being provided with a gold plated headphone connector and a flat frequency response of 10 - 20,000Hz instead of the MDR-V6's 5 - 30,000Hz. "

Jul 29, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #13 of 25
I'm sure if someone graphed the two together they would probably have a few barely noticeable differences between eachother. Like only a few decibels difference.

Jul 29, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #14 of 25
I had also read on another forum that one responder claimed that there was another change internally on how the wiring was routed or something, and how this effected the "shielding" from channel to channel or something like that. It was a rather vague post and got no agreement from any other posters.

Most threads on most of the forums are generally positive toward these two sets of cans.

Sony does of course mention a difference in freq response between the two sets, but there is no mention of why this is so. Or why the newer 7506 is listed as "Professional" and the much used studio cans for decades V6 are not.

I think that "hauton" is pulling a sneaky here by mentioning to send them his way. They are about the toughest phones on the planet, from what I understand, and stomping on them may not do much, if any, damage!
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #15 of 25
It may be that I am used to headphones more geared towards audiophiles and consumers and am trying to use these in a home audio application with a tube amp (that's why I'm not too crazy about them.) Also my personal tastes are geared towards jazz and acoustic music. But they are still not bad, better than my Senn HD25-1's with this amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back