GOT DAMN... for SF5's owners!
Feb 23, 2008 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

s4one

100+ Head-Fier
Ever since I received my SF5's I been astonished by the performance. However I have trouble picking which ear tip to use. I used all 3 sizes of the normal rubber tips and the flanged one too. They either too big or keep falling out of my ears when I eat or move my jaws (im sure some of you know of this problem).

For the first time, I used the foam ones. GEEZ these are goooooooooooood. They are 10x more comfortable than the rubber ones and block out noise like its not even there.

For me, the foam tips lets the SF5's fully elicit its quality.

I'll probably be using these from now on but I wonder how long the foam will last...

Try them out.

How many of you SF5's owners use the foam tips?

Feb 23, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 27
The super.fi 5 are great little iems with very good price performance.

You need to think about getting the shure olive mod! Ever since I modded mine, I have been getting much better comfort, more consistent sound because of the constant seal and being able to share it easier with friends. The bass increases its thump also.

Just rip off the foam from the UE gray foam tips and insert the olive there, no glue needed.

Do you have the Pro's or the EB's?

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 27
The olive mod is a bit tricky...but thankfully Comply has released the T-400 foam tips for most of the UE line, including the the SF5's. I just placed an order, so I can't comment on quality, but I believe they will be a major improvement over the silicone tips...we'll see

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 27
It's not tricky at all, I gave up trying to fit the olives directly on the stems (after scratching two pairs up at the stem with the needlenose pliers).

The way to do it is just rip the foam off the UE gray foam tips and carefully remove the olive foam from the core without damaging it. Then you just slide the olive foam onto the UE core tightly and voilá - you can slide these on as easily as the original grey foam tips.

Can't comment on the Comply tips, but I hope they will be as comfortable as the olives.

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 27
My fav tips are the Shure E2C silicon clear flex tips.

Wonderful, comfy
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 27
The Shure olive mod doesn't work out too well for me. I find it more uncomfortable. On the Shures, though, the olives are so comfortable.

I really hate the foamies that come with the SF series IEMs.. The plastic sleeve detaches for every pair that I have seen, and when you compress it, it springs back much too quickly to give you a good seal. It reminds me of trying to force the JVC marshmallows into my ear. Maybe I'm being too picky.

Feb 23, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by s4one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ever since I received my SF5's I been astonished by the performance. However I have trouble picking which ear tip to use. I used all 3 sizes of the normal rubber tips and the flanged one too. They either too big or keep falling out of my ears when I eat or move my jaws (im sure some of you know of this problem).

For the first time, I used the foam ones. GEEZ these are goooooooooooood. They are 10x more comfortable than the rubber ones and block out noise like its not even there.

For me, the foam tips lets the SF5's fully elicit its quality.

I'll probably be using these from now on but I wonder how long the foam will last...

Try them out.

How many of you SF5's owners use the foam tips?

the foamies can last you a good two weeks if you keep your ears clean. UE sells them 10 pairs for 15 or 20 dollars i think.

Feb 23, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Ever since I received my SF5's I been astonished by the performance... They either too big or keep falling out of my ears when I eat or move my jaws.

Whatever tips you use - try the reverse mod, with the cable going over and behind your ears. They'll never fall out.

Quote:

Not for me, but whatever works
smily_headphones1.gif
!!! Enjoy.
cool.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 27
I do use the reverse mod. Do you guys use Shure foam tips on the SF5's? Which ones do you guys use, the yellow or orange color ones? Does it fit without any mods?

Feb 24, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #13 of 27
I have a pair of the black olives/foamies modded for my Super.fi 3's, it's very comfortable, but not a big big difference from the silicone tips. Besides, I only did one pair because the rest are for my Ety's.

BTW, the e2c/scl2 had a bigger nozzle than the rest of the Shure line and most people say the silicone tips for those fit on other canal phones, so I'm sure the foamies will w/o modding.

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by rugby10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The olive mod is a bit tricky...but thankfully Comply has released the T-400 foam tips for most of the UE line, including the the SF5's. I just placed an order, so I can't comment on quality, but I believe they will be a major improvement over the silicone tips...we'll see

Feedback? I would love to know if the Comply's fit perfectly on the SF5's.

Feb 26, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matteman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not tricky at all, I gave up trying to fit the olives directly on the stems (after scratching two pairs up at the stem with the needlenose pliers).

The way to do it is just rip the foam off the UE gray foam tips and carefully remove the olive foam from the core without damaging it. Then you just slide the olive foam onto the UE core tightly and voilá - you can slide these on as easily as the original grey foam tips.

Can't comment on the Comply tips, but I hope they will be as comfortable as the olives.

This is how you do it folks, nothing tough about it. If you have SF5P's and are not using this mod, I feel for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back