Got D2000's. Looking for more mids/warmth..maybe..
Feb 19, 2009 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mfaughn

100+ Head-Fier
Hi y'all,

After reading lots of posts here I decided to go with D2000's as a step up into the world of good cans. It appeared that it would provide a good quality baseline for me to help me find a phone I really liked. I live out in the sticks and can't go try stuff out before I buy so reading here and asking questions is my primary resource for deciding what headgear is next. I was coming from portapros and q-jays. Yup, the D2000s blow them outta the water. I was just A/Bing with the portapros and the signatures are quite different (no, really?). I noticed that the portas actually made the particular track I was listening to sound more like the rock song that it was. The guitar was right up there in the mix. Don't get me wrong, the D2000s kill the portas. It has left me wondering though if I might now look for a phone is of comparable SQ to the D2000s but with a bit warmer, rock-friendly signature. I listen to lots of different kinds of music so a one-trick-ish rawk pony isn't what I'm looking for. Portability is good but I consider the D2000s not out of the question for portable use (recabled short)...still, more portable wouldn't hurt. I prefer a more open soundstage too FWIW. I'm guessing I'll hear some Grado suggestions, perhaps ES7 and EW9? I'm building a Mini^3 so I should be able to power most of the usual suspects. What else might I consider in the <$300 category? Thanks for any suggestions.

-Michael

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 10
A decent headphone amp might help you warm up the d2000s.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 10
I am running them with either the head-amp of a Zhaolu 2.5C or Emu 0404 USB. Neither is known is world-class but they are both moderately good at least. I'll build a starving student this year. I won't be getting more spendy than I already have on headphone amps until I am done being a student and am gainfully employed.

-Michael

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 10
Yeah your current source/amp are more than adequate to drive the D2000. I am a believer using an amp to change the SQ of headphones is asinine, buy the headphones that suit your listening preference...

More warmth than D2000, can't think of any. More Mids? Any Open-Air headphone.

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 10
Well, score one for the Chrome browser for eating my first attempt at another post here...

Anyway. I listened more. My portapros are thrashed. Thousands of hours on them, dirt, modification hack abuse, etc.. The highs are shot and the lows are loose mud. Makes you notice the mids. I have a theory...as a guitar player I know that a lot of time and money is spent in search of speaker that "break up" nicely and give a nice rich, warm, singing tone to distorted guitar signal amplification. Is it possible that headphone transducers could do this also? Listening to guitar sound from identical tracks from identical source gear I'd choose the portapro tone for my guitar sound over the D2000 tone for my guitar tone. But when it comes to choosing a headphone to listen recorded music on, uh the D2000 are like driving a new Lexus and the portapros are like driving a Fairlane that is past its prime.

I EQ'ed the D2000's. Added 1db from 220Hz to 2.5KHz. That about does it. Maybe 2db but 3 is tooooo much. I think I may just twiddle more, maybe roll some IC's in the DAC/amps rather than seriously consider rolling the D2000's.

I still want to try other stuff though
wink.gif

I got some KSC-75s on Tuesday, recabled them today. Holy heck they are good for $20. Wayyyyyyy better than my trashed portapros.

-MF

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 10
Though this is probably an obscure and infrequently read thread anyone reading it should know that my original post was from a really ignorant standpoint. I don't know much more now but I do know that the Denon's are warm and fairly laid back...now that I've listened to Ultrasones. I also didn't know just how uncontrolled the D2000 bass was. Now I do.

The more I read here the more I am learning to trust those that have seriously been at this headphone thing for a long time.

More time with better phones makes me very bored and unsatisfied with the KSC-75's....and it is funny what a huge step up they are from what comes bundled with $300 dollar DAPs.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 10
I am seriously considering the Markl mod. I'm handy enough to do a good job of it, just not ready to crack them open and void the warranty. I hesitate to gamble on this and perhaps end up still wanting something else...though I think that here there wouldn't be a big resale value difference between a pristine set and a well documented and cleanly modded pair so...I dunno. I really am craving not just more controlled bass from them but more accuracy and detail in the highs too. I know that it has been talked about plenty and I still need to read more. I'm considering just trying out some different phones in the same price range first. I don't really need a closed can so maybe K701? or AD900. I wish I could afford to try the ATH-AD2000.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #9 of 10
Well it depends on your music tastes first of all.. what are they?

the markl mod will definetly tighten up the bass and expose the mids and highs better.. however you're not going to get THAT much detail.. lets face it, can't have it all from mid-fi headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 10
I just posted elsewhere on this -
Today I got the MF X-PSU V8 (power supply) for my X-CAN V8P. WoW!

I thought the D2000s were already warm with the X-CAN V8. And I owned K701 previously - this D2000s mids stand up very well!

With XPSU V8 the D2000's soundstage exploded! Couldn't recommend this option more. If you are UK-based, MF products maybe more affordable.

The other good thing is that you can upgrade in stages; First get XCAN V8, then XPSU V8, then mod the XCAN V8....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back