Got a turntable; what to do next?
Jun 16, 2009 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Raconteur

New Head-Fier
Hi.
Recently my mother gave me a Denon DP-21f turntable that had been lying in the basement for a while. The problem is, I've only got this very cheap Philips stereo-set, a Bose Sounddock (with no aux. in/out options) and a pair of Westone UM2s.

I'd really like to listen to some vinyl records, but what's the best way to do so on a student's budget? I think, considering my current equipment, it's the easiest to just hook it up to my Westones, but what amplifier should I use to get some decent sound?

I'm quite new to this, so all help is appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 18
You need a phono stage in addition to an amp. The least expensive decent ones are found at Garage A' Records. From there, you'll need to run the phono stage into an amp of some kind. If you're using IEMs, a portable might be a good idea. You can build a CMoy for $20 or so (it's easy) or get one of the inexpensive mint tin amps.

Another way to go is to find a vintage receiver. You might be able to get one for free if a friend or relative has one in the garage or attic. If not, go to thrift stores, garage sales, junk shops, etc., where you can find second hand electronics. Many will turn up from $20-$50 or so. Look for one that has a switch marked "phono" or "turntable." This means that it will have a phono stage built in.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 18
Here is an even cheaper but very good phono preamp I have tried: Phonopreamps.com TCC TC-750 Details and Hookup - just $44 plus shipping. Remarkably good for the money. That and a cheap headphone amp and you are in business, assuming the turntable has a working cartridge on it.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 18
I have a TC-753. It's about $30ish on ebay. Then get a headphone amp like Skylab and Uncle Erik suggested.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 18
Ok, but do I really need the headphone amp? Can't I just connect my westones to the phono preamp?

Turntable works fine by the way, I hooked it up to the sound system at my parents' house and it sounded good.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 18
You need a phono pre-amp, and a headphone amp. Phono pre-amp boosts the low levels from stylus to line level, and a headphone amp goes from tape out of your pre-amp. You control headphone volume on the headphone amp.

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 18
Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif
And it won't be all too expensive considering the prices you've called here. By the way, is the Denon a good starter-table or should I go look for something better once I've got everything set up and got some more records? The cartridge mounted on it is a Stanton 681 EEE.

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 18
You won't find a phono preamp with a volume control on it, assuming one would have enough gain to drive IEMs. You'd have to use a passive preamp, at the least, which would cost more than a cheap headphone amp. Passive preamps are devices for hairshirt audiophiles and often made with boutique parts and priced accordingly, unless you build your own. Also, a phono preamp is very unlikely to have a 1/8" jack - another DIY proposition.

I'm not familiar with your deck, but I always recommend going with what you have. Download the service manual at the Vinyl Engine and spend a few hours doing maintenance and a careful setup. If the stylus is worn, give some thought to a new one. The Shure MX97E and Grado Black are very good budget cartridges.

Jun 16, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 18
Your turntable is toward the top of Denon's entry-level models. It will play music tunefully and its sins are of omission rather than sounding harsh, but if you decide you want to continue in vinyl there are better tables out there.

Your Stanton is a very good mid-fi cartridge that leans slightly to the warm side. If the stylus is worn, I would recommend replacing the stylus (which is also upgradeable to a better stylus profile) and keeping the cartridge. IMO it is better than the Shure M97XE or the Grado Black. If and/or when you replace the turntable, you could move the cartridge over to the new table. It scales quite well.

Enjoy your turntable for now. Down the road I would recommend looking for a vintage Thorens TD160 turntable. You can usually find one for about $200. It can also be upgraded further by damping and replacing the springs, platter mat and tonearm. It matches the 681eee cartridge very well.

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #10 of 18
Gee whiz, he doesn't have the rest of the stereo yet!
Like Uncle Erik said, hunt down a used receiver from the 70s or 80s from a garage sale or craigslist.

Update: Case in point. I saw a Rotel receiver from around 1980 at my local thrift shop this morning for $19.99. I remember this unit. It was a step above the popular Japanese receivers, sort of how we think of NAD today. $19.99.

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightOwl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Your Stanton is a very good mid-fi cartridge that leans slightly to the warm side. If the stylus is worn, I would recommend replacing the stylus (which is also upgradeable to a better stylus profile) and keeping the cartridge. IMO it is better than the Shure M97XE or the Grado Black. If and/or when you replace the turntable, you could move the cartridge over to the new table. It scales quite well.

I think the Stanton 681 EEE was very underated, way better than mid-fi and it came in a huge wooden box etc back in the day? An original stylus for this will cost you a fair amount and these carts often go for 1-200USD on ebay. I'd say it's better than that Denon deck so there's no need to change the cart when you upgrade. KABUSA carry all the Stanton stylii.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #12 of 18
Hi,
Thanks all for your advice
smily_headphones1.gif
I managed to get a cheap amplifier (Sansui AU-117 with built-in phono amp, for 20$) and it all works fine... except for two things:
-There's a constant noise/hiss when using my UM2's, I guess that's because of their low impedance. Do I need a headphone amplifier to solve this? And if this is the case, which one?
-Sometimes, the sound on one side seems bloated and also, the highs are cracking sometimes. I suppose I need to replace the stylus, does anyone know which one I should get?
Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #13 of 18
Try buying/making an impedance adapter for the UM2s to fix the hiss.
I don't really know much about stylus(es?) so sorry, can't help much there.

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raconteur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
I suppose I need to replace the stylus, does anyone know which one I should get?

KABUSA I think carry the replacement stylus for the 681. Several will fit if you just want a cheap one for now but the one one there the EEE was about 70USD last time I bought one. Give them a ring maybe and ask.

You should sort this out before anything else.

If there is an impedance mismatch with the headphones a pro-audio shop will usually carry impedance adaptors as lots of Pro headphones are still available in high impedance versions.

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raconteur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
Thanks all for your advice
smily_headphones1.gif
I managed to get a cheap amplifier (Sansui AU-117 with built-in phono amp, for 20$) and it all works fine... except for two things:
-There's a constant noise/hiss when using my UM2's, I guess that's because of their low impedance. Do I need a headphone amplifier to solve this? And if this is the case, which one?
-Sometimes, the sound on one side seems bloated and also, the highs are cracking sometimes. I suppose I need to replace the stylus, does anyone know which one I should get?
Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, the hiss is due to the low impedance. I had a Sansui amplifier (AU-217) many years ago. It's a good little amp but the headphone output isn't that great and it works best with headphones of 300 ohms impedance or higher. A headphone amp would definitely be an improvement. You may want to search or ask in the portable amplification or headphone amplifer forums since you will get more response from people familiar with the UM2's.

You more than likely need a new stylus and would be the safest thing to do. A worn needle can permanently damage your records. If you're on a tight budget, you can order from the link below for $30. shipped. I'm not 100% sure whether you will get an authentic stylus or an aftermarket one (you can email them and ask). The last time I got a replacement for my Stanton 881 it was a genuine Stanton stylus. Their aftermarket stylii can vary from o.k. to excellent. The Kab stylus that memepool recommends is more of a known quality. The stylus for the 681eee-s would be an upgraded stylus profile that you may want to try.

http://www.canadianastatic.com/

It also sounds like your cartidge may be misaligned or the anti-skating bias may be off. Here is a link to cartridge alignment procedures.

A Beginner's Guide to Cartridge Setup

Here is a link to several printable cartridge protractors that you will need to check your cartridge alignment. The "stupid protractor" is probably the easiest one to use.

Cartridge Alignment Protractors | Free Turntable, Tonearm & Cartridge Tools | Vinyl Engine

You will also need one of these to remove surface dust from your record (one of the potential sources of crackling) just prior to playing a record.

Amazon.com: AudioQuest LP record clean brush: Electronics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back