Got a Rega P3, now what?
Aug 17, 2009 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

pedalhead

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently dug out my ~20yr old vinyl collection & am picking up a used Rega P3 I bought on ebay tomorrow. It comes with the RB300 an Rega Exact MM, plus Rega phono cables. I've just picked up a Cambridge Audio 640P phono stage, & this'll be hooked up to my Ear+ for now, followed by my BUDA when it gets here. Finally, I've also ordered a few of my modern favourites on vinyl so I'm not stuck with listening to my teenage music tastes (which I won't even go into!)

My question is, I understand the P3 is pretty upgradable & as a bit of a DIY-er this would be of interest to me. I am however, a vinyl dummy, so not really sure where to start. Does anyone have any tips on upgrading/modding or perhaps even just setting up these TTs? Cheers!

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 19
Upgrading Rega tables is a bit controversial. Many feel that the best configuration you can get is as they are straight from the factory packaging. Make sure your stylus is in good shape and that the table/tonearm/cartridge are set-up properly. Get something to remove dust from your vinyl and enjoy the table.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 19
Obvious 'upgrsde and tweaks' - setup the cart. correctly, will improve the sound no end; clean your vinyl well and zap static; a fixed uber shelf - isolate the TT from external vibration as much as possible.

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 19
Good advice, cheers. My room is dreadful for vibrations...the entire floor (suspended wood) acts as a diaphragm for my subs. The effect is rather fun (especially with films) but not entirely "audiophile accurate"
icon10.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 19
Oh, while we're at it, are there any particular "best" cleaning/anti-static devices, or should I just take a punt at some stuff on ebay that looks ok? I guess the cart setup should be covered in the manual that I'm hoping will come with the TT. As you can tell, I'm a major newbie when it comes to non-digital sources!

Aug 18, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #8 of 19
You can get a template fo alignment of the cartridge off the internet - they work well - you 'might' get one with the TT - not sure.
On a bouncing wooden floor your going to get feedback into your TT if your not careful, and also risk you arm jumping due to walking across the room! A shelf is going to be essential.
As for anti-static, I use a gun to zap it - not fond of chemicals on my vinyl.

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get a template fo alignment of the cartridge off the internet - they work well - you 'might' get one with the TT - not sure.

If he's using a Rega cart, it will align itself on a Rega arm - no need for setup.

If you don't have a carbon fiber record brush, those are nice.

As for tweaks, I like the J.A. Michell counterweight. It allows for finer adjustments than what Rega offers. I also think the Groovetracer subplatter is a good value, and they have a nice acrylic platter, too. However, the glass platter is a big part of the Rega sound, so keep that in mind.

You might also want to look at one of the speed regulators for the motor. There are several aftermarket boxes that keep the motor spinning very preceisely - I think Heed makes one.

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #10 of 19
Aug 19, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 19
Bit of a TT- and Rega noob myself but anyway, I have the Exact cartridge on a P3 2000, and apart from cart I've tried three usual upgrades of which one may be more appropriately named tweak.

First was wallmounting it on on ProJect shelf. Rega makes a dedicated shelf as well, and I may be tempted to get one; it looks sweet. As an upgrade this is easy to recommend, and should probably even be budgeted for with Regas. The aforementioned motor upgrade kit is by all accounts equally uncontroversial, and the same is said for the tungsten counterweight which I have on my RB300.

As for arguably more controversial tweaks, I have two Garrard dampening rings for the platter. They're cheap on ebay.uk, so I got them while ordering a new belt. The ad was correctly stating that the glass platter's app. 4 second ringing would be reduced to a mild thump.
I haven't done any prolonged evaluation yet on what it does to the sound, but I noted that bass stood out from the mix with the rings mounted. Not an unpleasant effect, rather satisfying actually in the "wow" kind of way; but I may just find that in the long run I mostly prefer the sound and overall presentation better without them.

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #12 of 19
I'm in the same boat as the OP as I just recently picked up a Rega P1, so far I am very pleased with the results. My next buy will be a carbon fiber brush, and maybe a stylus cleaner? I have been using my parents old records which are a somewhat dusty leading to some pops and clicks.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Aug 19, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by spahn_ranch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bit of a TT- and Rega noob myself but anyway, I have the Exact cartridge on a P3 2000, and apart from cart I've tried three usual upgrades of which one may be more appropriately named tweak.

First was wallmounting it on on ProJect shelf. Rega makes a dedicated shelf as well, and I may be tempted to get one; it looks sweet. As an upgrade this is easy to recommend, and should probably even be budgeted for with Regas. The aforementioned motor upgrade kit is by all accounts equally uncontroversial, and the same is said for the tungsten counterweight which I have on my RB300.

As for arguably more controversial tweaks, I have two Garrard dampening rings for the platter. They're cheap on ebay.uk, so I got them while ordering a new belt. The ad was correctly stating that the glass platter's app. 4 second ringing would be reduced to a mild thump.
I haven't done any prolonged evaluation yet on what it does to the sound, but I noted that bass stood out from the mix with the rings mounted. Not an unpleasant effect, rather satisfying actually in the "wow" kind of way; but I may just find that in the long run I mostly prefer the sound and overall presentation better without them.

Useful info, thanks. I picked up the TT last night & spent a couple of hours spinning some of my old albums. I'm pleasantly surprised that not everything I used to listen to is rubbish, and actually rather enjoyed a bit of Roachford and Hue & Cry
biggrin.gif
. I've got dual inputs on my Mapletree amp, so could A/B the vinyl and digital sources at the flick of a switch. I have Del Amitri's Waking Hours on both LP and flac, so used that one to compare. There's a clear difference between them, the vinyl of course with that natural analogue sound, the digital sounding slightly less realistic in the vocals in particular. Soundstage is significantly more closed in with the Rega, much more spacious from my digital source. As to which I prefer, well I'd like to listen to some more analogue/digital comparisons, but I'd sure like to have the natural analogue sound but with the wide soundstage I get with my digital source. Maybe some upgrades/tweaking of the P3 could help with that. For now I'd say the digital source sounds more "audiophile", but then I really need to give my LPs a good clean as there were a ton of pops & crackles. I should be receiving some modern/new LPs this week, so that'll be interesting.

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #14 of 19
Well I received Dream Theater's Black Clouds and Silver Linings on vinyl today & am now doing an A/B comparison with my flac rip of the CD & really there's no contest. The vinyl sounds seriously muffled in comparison, far less involving, treble rolled-off and no space in between the notes/instruments. If this is the kind of difference I should expect from a modern album, I really can't see myself listening to vinyl in preference to my digital system, which isn't exactly high end either (yet!). Wondering now whether I've just wasted a load of ££ getting this TT!

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd sure like to have the natural analogue sound but with the wide soundstage I get with my digital source. Maybe some upgrades/tweaking of the P3 could help with that. For now I'd say the digital source sounds more "audiophile", but then I really need to give my LPs a good clean as there were a ton of pops & crackles. I should be receiving some modern/new LPs this week, so that'll be interesting.

A local dealer demos the P3-24 with Goldring cart (2300 or 2500, not sure which but I plan to find out soon). According to some review I read, the Goldrings have a wider soundstage than the Rega. They also have replaceable styluses, so if you get the cart mounted by the best vinyl doc in town, you're set for many years; just replace the belt once in a while, and the stylus after, realistically, party accidents since the TT (P3-24) is probably too good looking for people to keep hands off.

Re: pops and crackles, hm... as I went first from P1 then a P3 Linn with K5 cart to the Exact, a lot of that went away, and most of with the Exact. I find that some records I thought were complete garbage sounding with the other setups are listenable with the Exact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back