Got A Little Suprise Delivered Today...
Jan 24, 2012 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jant71

Headphoneus Supremus

I actually first got a phone call from FED EX that a package was being delivered. Not sure it was even mine and no what it might be. I was not expecting anything. Thinking hard I did remember that I am supposed to get a Blox M2C for participating in the audition thread so that might be it. Turns out it wasn't the Blox or anything that I may have ordered but these two guys...

We have a couple of new DUNU models.

The usual high quality build and presentation. I know some didn't like the look of the old zip case so we have two new styles instead. A new black nylon style zip case with the DN-18 and a UE style metal tin with the DN-17.

Other changes to the accessory pack are a cleaning cloth, 6.3mm plug adapter, airline adapter, clip, Hybrid style tips(3 pair), previous style DUNU thicker silicone tips(S,M,L), and bi-flanges. These have a silver cable so we have a new cable, Y, and L-plug but the integrated cable tie band is still there. The same DUNU quality but these have a more understated professional look instead of the previous flashy Monster-like look.

A very nice surprise indeed from Rocky and DUNU

Some pics...

The Hawkeye DN-18

The Crater DN-17 seems to be the same but for the uncapped rear.

The new style of plug

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 13
What a great surprise! Do post your impressions when you've had a chance to listen to them. 

Any pictures of the IEMs? 

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 13
I'll throw a couple of pics up a bit later.

Some interesting things to note. These guys both have smaller sound tubes/nozzles than previous models. The outer lip to hold on tips is ~ 4mm. We have different specs this time. The previous 4 models were all 10-20 FR regardless of level. The Crater is 16Hz - 22kHz and the Hawkeye is 20Hz to 20 kHz and it sounds like the Crater is better.

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 13
Waiting for the review. How much are they priced ?

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 13
I have no clue about pricing. They just showed up out of the blue. Since I haven't heard from anyone I don't have any info on them.

I am still burning them in no real review as of yet. I don't expect much more change on them though. What I hear right now is a bit different sound. Maybe a bit more aggressive sounding. Pretty much the same though. We have a slightly bigger, more fun sounding Hawkeye that reminds me of the Trident. We also have the slightly more refined Crater that reminds me of a Hephaes with less bass. Not that far apart in SQ between the two also like the Trident and Hephaes.

No high end Dunu yet though. These seem to be in the same class as the previous four as far as SQ range. Maybe they are replacing a couple of the previous models. They should as I really don't see the need for that many similarly performing models. A nice refresh with more understated looks and nicer accessories and drop at least two of the previous models if not all of them. Maybe the DN-17/18/19/20 totally replace the first four. I guess we will find out. 

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 13
Those housings look even sturdier than before, especially those nozzles! The 3.5mm plug looks Shure-inspired (not a bad thing). Does the Crater have a more open sound because of the vent? Hmm... Oh, and I do believe they sell the case as a standalone item, at least here in Asia.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
The Craters look very, very nice. Future budget IEM or gift or something, maybe?

I actually prefer the Hawkeyes to the Craters.  Like the Ares vs Crius, these two offer two flavors of a very similar signature.  One is much more open and colder than the other while they other is warmer...  Kind of like the yin and the yang.  I will be reviewing the Hawkeyes on a blog I'm part of.

Quote:
Those housings look even sturdier than before, especially those nozzles! The 3.5mm plug looks Shure-inspired (not a bad thing). Does the Crater have a more open sound because of the vent? Hmm... Oh, and I do believe they sell the case as a standalone item, at least here in Asia.

The new headphone jack is definitely much better than their old ones, however, the cable is iffy for me.  They seem very "sticky" and stick together too easily.  This leads to tangling.

Like the OP, I too like teaser pics :p

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #9 of 13
I too favor the Hawkeye. A bit bigger more airy sound with a very enjoyable low bass emphasis. I'm fairly certain this will be the popular one.

The housings probably can't be more sturdy than before but they are a little lighter than the Ares and Hephaes anyway. And since the cable is a bit lighter as well they don't feel as heavy even if the stated weights aren't much less. The housings are more elegant in their simplicity. No extra colors, or markings just mirrored gunmetal and chrome trim. The mirror finish is deeper and glassier. They do have nicer look and feel than the previous models, IMO.

I'll also put forth that the Hybrid tips don't do them any favors. They fit on the smaller opening and stay on but seem to make them both sound smaller in overall stage size and make them sound a bit boxy. They are nice to have in the collection but the thicker style tips that also came with the previous models sound quite a bit better to me.

I like the look and lighter weight of they cable and I think it is more comfy for over the ear wearing but, as mentioned, it wants to tangle more than the previous style.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 13
I actually prefer to use the (fake; I'm assuming) hybrid tips.  And yes, the Hawkeyes have much more sub-bass than the vented Crater.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
I have no clue about pricing. They just showed up out of the blue. Since I haven't heard from anyone I don't have any info on them.

I am still burning them in no real review as of yet. I don't expect much more change on them though. What I hear right now is a bit different sound. Maybe a bit more aggressive sounding. Pretty much the same though. We have a slightly bigger, more fun sounding Hawkeye that reminds me of the Trident. We also have the slightly more refined Crater that reminds me of a Hephaes with less bass. Not that far apart in SQ between the two also like the Trident and Hephaes.

Can you post a side by side pic of Crater, Hawkeye and Hephaes ?

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Can you post a side by side pic of Crater, Hawkeye and Hephaes ?

I know you weren't asking me...  But I like pictures, they are fun to take...  Sorry about the dust on my Hephaes, they are a little old and used :p

Medium sized images:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-tyNIHkf3QVI/TyQ60KiYArI/AAAAAAAACkg/h6Z_nUVXTBg/s640/Edit1.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ZZbA-kAzKrQ/TyQ62EpRzmI/AAAAAAAACkw/dUhMkD6ZEsQ/s640/Edit3.jpg

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #13 of 13
Nice! I have two NIB Hephaes to sell and no open pair to take a shot of. 

Next to the Ares and the new cases and accessories...

Not smaller than the Ares but lighter. The aesthetic of new cases and housings are more classy IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back