Got 2 777s and 303.
Jan 24, 2004 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Roy2001

100+ Head-Fier
I am so happy that my 2 777s and 303 finally arrived.

I have no time to do AB test yet, but first impression is 303 sounds more musical with better midrange. 777 is a little bit dry. Both are better than Panasonic 570.

Jan 24, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 12
is the 2nd 777 for parts or a separate rig?

Jan 24, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 12
You bought two???? That's different...I guess we should all start stockpiling the vintage Sonys. But I definitely will be looking forward to your results.

Jan 24, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 12
That's interesting. I've seen the 777 criticized as too "warm" or too "loose", but not "dry". Would you also consider the Pana 570 dry? It sounds similar to the 777 to me....
confused.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 12
I haven't done AB test yet, just hear randomly. "dry" maybe debend on music. But 777's bass is a little bit strong and midrange is a little bit less liquid, that is what I mean "dry".

Jan 24, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
That's interesting. I've seen the 777 criticized as too "warm" or too "loose", but not "dry".
confused.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

i agree; the D-777 is a bit too warm and a little boosted where the mid-bass and midrange meet. maybe the word i would use is "thick" or "syrupy" than "dry."
tongue.gif
but to me, the warmth of the D-777 makes more sense when using it as a portable outdoors where some of the sound spectrum may be lost.

to me, the D-303 is more accurate.

Jan 24, 2004 at 7:39 AM Post #8 of 12
Hmm...

If you're talking about the line out, then i'd be inclined to agree, the D303 line out is pretty damned incredible, and the D777 just doesn't stand a chance against it...

Headphone out though, i'd be less inclined to agree, I personally find that the D303 sounds brittle through its headphone out, which makes for a fatuiging listen, because you can't just chill with the music like you can with the D777...

Midrange (through the headphone out) isn't so hot with the D303 either to me, sounding all bass (which clips) and treble... although yes, the 777 would obviously sound like it had several gallons of maple syrup poured on top of its mid-bass and mid-range when compared to the 303
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Headphone out though, i'd be less inclined to agree, I personally find that the D303 sounds brittle through its headphone out, which makes for a fatuiging listen, because you can't just chill with the music like you can with the D777...

That's odd, my D-303 has a great headphone out and never clips. Doesn't sound brittle. In fact, I would go as far as tosay it destroys the headphone out of my D-211 with my Grado SR-60's or even my Sennheiser HD-600's (although both sound flat with the Sennheisers).

Duncan, I've been thinking about the differences in some of our conclusions and I wonder if unit to unit variability has something to do with this. Aging of components like electrolytic caps in generally less than optimal environments might explain why some models sound different.

Jan 24, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 12
Canman...

I guess a lot could be to do with the music, there is some where the D303 holds its head high, but to me, with faster based music, it tends to fail...

Others have mentioned this also... but, maybe you got lucky, and got one that can play above 5/10 as well as it can below that?!?

(unless of course, i'm just listening louder than you?
wink.gif
)

Jan 24, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Others have mentioned this also... but, maybe you got lucky, and got one that can play above 5/10 as well as it can below that?!?

Heh, on my SR-60's the volume is loud enough for me at 2/10!

Jan 24, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Canman
Duncan, I've been thinking about the differences in some of our conclusions and I wonder if unit to unit variability has something to do with this. Aging of components like electrolytic caps in generally less than optimal environments might explain why some models sound different.

I do think this is a very serious consideration. I've had two D-555's. The first was a mediocre player, IMO. It worked, but I couldn't understand the attraction it held. The second was a completely different story. It didn't sound like the same player. It clearly rated as a top rank pcdp. When I had a D-777, the sound was a bit off, and there were tracking errors. A simple clean and lube, and it sounded like a different (and better) player.

The vintage pcdp's have been in circulation a long time, and a lot of inter-unit variance is inevitable. A lot of preferences (including mine) may have been formed simply by being lucky enough to get a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back