Google Pixel (Phone & Audio Quality)
Jan 6, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #76 of 79
Just got my Pixel.

I transfered some music files and listened using Google Play. I used my DT880s, via a Schiit Magni 2.

The sound is unpleasantly bright. Noticeably. I still haven't tried with my IEMs. That will count more: the whole point, for me, of getting the Google and dumping Apples was because of the headphone jack and my ability to plug in my IEMs.  More later.

Stock - Pixel sounded like Bass Boost was on but definitely was not Bright Sounding.
Although that was my 1st Pixel.

I've RMA'D 2 Pixels because of Mic not working on phone calls. I'm on 3rd Pixel at the moment, but Rooted with Elemental Kernel lowering Analog Headphone input to -10.5db on each channel to give a quieter noise floor. With V4A changing the tonality.

Eager to see if your device is still overly bright with IEM's?

(I really feel Google dropped the ball in Audio-out with Pixel. Hoping 2017 Google Phone gives a better attempt.)

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #77 of 79
Before writing this device off as "bad", I strongly recommend you read over the thread on XDA that discussed objective tests from several people.  The device does have a high output impedance which will color the sound of certain low impedance headphones (sometimes badly).  This can be compensated for by equalization filters.  However the crosstalk under low impedance load is quite good, the THD should not be audible for most ears.

You do get a device that gets the newest software from Google directly, no bloat, great voice driven options, Daydream VR capable, great camera.

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #78 of 79
Before writing this device off as "bad", I strongly recommend you read over the thread on XDA that discussed objective tests from several people.  The device does have a high output impedance which will color the sound of certain low impedance headphones (sometimes badly).  This can be compensated for by equalization filters.  However the crosstalk under low impedance load is quite good, the THD should not be audible for most ears.

You do get a device that gets the newest software from Google directly, no bloat, great voice driven options, Daydream VR capable, great camera.

I am keeping the device as it the only device that fulfills the void left by 2013 Nexus 5 while being compatible with 3xCA on Sprint in same form factor.

I have made the audio tweaks to get my Pixel performing adequately for me.

I think normal Pixel as 5" inch device with Daydream compatibility and top specs and all 4 Major US Carrier network compatibility is a lone-wolf for the time being.

Pixel XL on the otherhand does have competition, but I did not care for that form factor.

Sorry if my earlier posts made it seem like device was not worth keeping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back