Google Pixel (Phone & Audio Quality)
Oct 31, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #61 of 79
When I tried this on an older Motorola phone, the system was "read-only" and the XML file kept reverting back to stock. Will I face that with this method? It was pretty frustrating :)

-Collin-

Mine is staying persistent with my edits.

Also, doing the copied .xml way will makes it easier to reimplement if you do an over the air update in the future.

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #62 of 79
Has anyone heard the included earphones? I just tried mine today and suprised that they sound pretty good. Listening though the mojo, forward sounding with a suprising amount of bass comparing them to my 846s with black filters...

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #64 of 79
Has anyone heard the included earphones? I just tried mine today and suprised that they sound pretty good. Listening though the mojo, forward sounding with a suprising amount of bass comparing them to my 846s with black filters...

I did not get headphones included. (Ordered from Google Play store in USA. Assuming Country specific.)

On another note are you getting any perceptible hiss with the SE846s?

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #65 of 79
I did not get headphones included. (Ordered from Google Play store in USA. Assuming Country specific.)

Some day, I will figure out why we get screwed in the US on headphones. Of course I never care about included headphones because they're usually only good for phone calls, but it's very odd that most manufacturers remove them from the package here (except Samsung and Apple). It cracks me up actually. Why do they not want us to have headphones? Is it a cost thing? Is it an FCC thing? Who knows. 

I wish the pixel here came with them, because my wife wants to move over to the Pixel from her iPhone and I will have to source a cheap, decent pair of IEMs with an in-line mic for her. I guess the Samsung ones will do. 

-Collin-

Nov 1, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #66 of 79
Some day, I will figure out why we get screwed in the US on headphones. Of course I never care about included headphones because they're usually only good for phone calls, but it's very odd that most manufacturers remove them from the package here (except Samsung and Apple). It cracks me up actually. Why do they not want us to have headphones? Is it a cost thing? Is it an FCC thing? Who knows. 

I wish the pixel here came with them, because my wife wants to move over to the Pixel from her iPhone and I will have to source a cheap, decent pair of IEMs with an in-line mic for her. I guess the Samsung ones will do. 

-Collin-

On one of the Reddit early delivery Pixel unboxing: I read that some countries require a headset for handsfree.

I agree that it doesn't make sense especially since some people will get them for free at the same included price.

As for us in the U.S. we seemed to always get gipped when it comes to audio.

LG G5 B&O sound module(Friend) was not made officially available and then even with LG V20 the free B&I headphones are limited quantity(some like Sprint are preorder vouchers)

I miss how my Nextel Devices came with almost every accessory out of the box. (Separate battery only charger, older proprietary PC cable, travel + home charger, 2.5mm headset, and 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter, belt clip, leather case, and like a whole trees worth of manuals...lol)

That felt premium*

@Seesax
I see you also ordered a LG V20

Wish LG would have made V20 Daydream ready. (Still have no idea why the leader in OLED TV's uses LCD on phones)

The normal Pixel replaced my 2013 Nexus 5.

The V20 is filling the void of Note 7 which was replacing my Nexus 6.

(I couldn't justify the 2015 Nexus devices: the 5X was a mid-tier device at mid-tier pricing and 6P seemed like a side-grade to Nexus 6 especially because of Qualcomm choose issues that year. At least I was able to fully commit to USB C with new PC Card and all)

Nov 1, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #67 of 79

Just changed to my stock cable on the 846s... can't hear any hiss. However, I should note that I'm not too sensitive to hiss - on my Mojo I can only hear the smallest amount of hiss on the 846s when I plug them in (no music / silence track playing), on my Nexus 5 no hiss.

Nov 1, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #68 of 79
Just changed to my stock cable on the 846s... can't hear any hiss. However, I should note that I'm not too sensitive to hiss - on my Mojo I can only hear the smallest amount of hiss on the 846s when I plug them in (no music / silence track playing), on my Nexus 5 no hiss.

Thanks for the reply.

Means I should be safe changing to more sensitive IEM's before next Fall's smartphone line up.

Edit: Update my launch device fell victim to the intermittent mic not working. (When the Mic stops working the earpiece and headphone jack stop working.) I believe it is from bad coding.

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #69 of 79
Hi,

I'm looking to change my iPhone 6 to Google Pixel but I need an information for that:

How is the audio quality of the Pixel compared to Apple's iPhones (5,6(s) and 7)?

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #70 of 79
  Hi,

I'm looking to change my iPhone 6 to Google Pixel but I need an information for that:

How is the audio quality of the Pixel compared to Apple's iPhones (5,6(s) and 7)?

I find it not quite as good as the iPhone 7. I cannot compare to the iPhone 6 because I have not had it in two years and the 5 I have not had in four years. If audio quality is your only concern, I would not suggest the Pixel. Its audio output is fine for me, but several other phones outclass it. As a phone, however, it is my favorite device. Camera, software, usability, all are better to me than the competing Android devices. It has noticeably less output power than the iPhone by the way. 

-Collin-

Nov 10, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #71 of 79
Hi,

I have had to RMA both an iPhone 7 and a Pixel both due to audio issues.

My Pixel suffered from Mic issues that also caused the Earpiece and headphone jack to stop working.(My new Pixel device is working fine however it is Rooted and I made changes to the Mixer_path, mixer _path_tasha_t50, audio_policy_volumes.

Sound output volume is higher than Pixel was out of the Box; increased volume digital gain and adjusted volume tables.

I'm content with Pixel for Audio now that I have the slight bass boost effect reduced and higher listening volumes.(Easier to match AUX car input sources)

The iPhone 7 128GB I RMA'd was because of a Sprint store employee plugging in a damaged pair of new Lightning Earbuds. The lightning connector was damaged out of the box and thus scratched and ruined the lightning port on my device.(Along with another customer in the store) Thus no way to charge or use wired headphones as Lightning Port was broken.

Sound from iPhone 7 with dongle was better than Pixel out of the box but both devices were worse than older iPhone 4 & 4s.

I will test modded Pixel against replacement iPhone 7 when it arrives.

Both devices are not as good audio-wise a LG V20. I am giving the LG V20 to my mother to enjoy, it has other software nuances I do not like.

The iPhone 7 I got as an exchange from Note 7 upgrade and I will either return it to use my upgrade next year or most likely sell the iPhone 7. (I didn't realize how much the smaller 7 got shafted over the 7plus. Audio doesn't sound the same compared to the 2 7plus I was able to listen to in store.)

If you have an iPhone 6, I would prefer that over iPhone 7 audio wise. Although if plus models, I would consider 7+.

If you are leaving Pixel stock, then I would suggest testing the headphone sounds at Verizon (if in US) or from a friend/colleague. As you'll ultimately be deciding whether it is acceptable or not for Audio performance, given the price.

From the Qualcomm Aqstic DAC/AMP specs on the Snapdragon 821(https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/821), and hearing the Aqstic performance on HTC 10 and my 2 now defunct Note 7s; I feel Google really skimped on audio setting configuration. The Aqstic DAC/AMP are already there and it seems Audio performance was not a priority. I'm hoping they have a future update to optimize the headphone out especially with the big push for Google Daydream.

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #72 of 79
Maybe someone can tell me how to switch between Pixel Headphone modes (IE DRE on/off): Lines 1272 -1305 from Mixer_paths.xml on Pixel (https://android.googlesource.com/device/google/marlin/+/nougat-dr1-release/mixer_paths.xml)

<!-- HS RX path with DRE on -->
 ​
<path name="headphones-DRE">
 ​
<ctl name="SLIM RX1 MUX" value="AIF_MIX1_PB" />
 ​
<ctl name="SLIM RX2 MUX" value="AIF_MIX1_PB" />
 ​
<ctl name="SLIM_0_RX Channels" value="Two" />
 ​
<ctl name="RX INT1_2 MUX" value="RX1" />
 ​
<ctl name="RX INT2_2 MUX" value="RX2" />
 ​
<ctl name="RX INT1 DEM MUX" value="CLSH_DSM_OUT" />
 ​
<ctl name="RX INT2 DEM MUX" value="CLSH_DSM_OUT" />
 ​
<ctl name="RX HPH Mode" value="CLS_H_LOHIFI" />
 ​
<ctl name="COMP1 Switch" value="1" />
 ​
<ctl name="COMP2 Switch" value="1" />
 ​
<ctl name="RX1 Mix Digital Volume" value="84" />
 ​
<ctl name="RX2 Mix Digital Volume" value="84" />
 ​
<ctl name="HPHL Volume" value="20" />
 ​
<ctl name="HPHR Volume" value="20" />
 ​
</path>
 ​

​
<!-- HS RX path with DRE off -->
 ​
<path name="headphones-generic">
 ​
<ctl name="SLIM RX1 MUX" value="AIF_MIX1_PB" />
 ​
<ctl name="SLIM RX2 MUX" value="AIF_MIX1_PB" />
 ​
<ctl name="SLIM_0_RX Channels" value="Two" />
 ​
<ctl name="RX INT1_2 MUX" value="RX1" />
 ​
<ctl name="RX INT2_2 MUX" value="RX2" />
 ​
<ctl name="RX INT1 DEM MUX" value="CLSH_DSM_OUT" />
 ​
<ctl name="RX INT2 DEM MUX" value="CLSH_DSM_OUT" />
 ​
<ctl name="COMP1 Switch" value="0" />
 ​
<ctl name="COMP2 Switch" value="0" />
 ​
<ctl name="RX1 Mix Digital Volume" value="84" />
 ​
<ctl name="RX2 Mix Digital Volume" value="84" />
 ​
<ctl name="HPHL Volume" value="20" />
 ​
<ctl name="HPHR Volume" value="20" />
 ​
</path>

This is what has me thinking Pixel does not have "Optimized" settings...Struggle

Nov 11, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #73 of 79
Small update: Viper4Android and associated audio effects offer greater tonal control.
(http://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel/themes/mod-wetaaudio-t3490886?nocache=1)

To quote: Chdloc
"Small update. Now that I have rooted my Pixel I've started looking into the effects of mixer_paths.xml modifications:
As suspected, full 1 Vrms output voltage can easily be unlocked by modifying two numbers in mixer_paths.xml (RX1/2 Mix Digital Volume 77 -> 84 in the "headphones" device). That should satisfy those of you who think the Pixel's amplifier is not "powerful" enough."

Lines 1311 & 1312

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #74 of 79
Why would it not be that way to begin with?  Is there any reason we should not unlock full 1 Vrms output voltage?

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #75 of 79
Just got my Pixel.

I transfered some music files and listened using Google Play. I used my DT880s, via a Schiit Magni 2.

The sound is unpleasantly bright. Noticeably. I still haven't tried with my IEMs. That will count more: the whole point, for me, of getting the Google and dumping Apples was because of the headphone jack and my ability to plug in my IEMs.  More later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back