Google Pixel (Phone & Audio Quality)
Oct 18, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #31 of 79
Oct 18, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #32 of 79

Most depressing thing I have read all day. Argh. I had such high hopes (foolishly so). It's behind literally every other flagship this year. 

Yep. An SD card and a legitimate headphone output and I'd be all over this phone but Google let me down as usual. I wasn't expecting the sd card but I was expecting them to take in HTCs expertise on audio. Nope.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #33 of 79
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Google-Pixel-XL-Review_id4264/page/3

Headphone jack is only measured at .45v. Less than half of the iPhone 7, V20, and HTC 10.

I am still waiting for GSMarena measurements or my device to arrive, which ever comes 1st.

Phone Arena has my Nexus 5 at .34v, LG G2 @ .27v and Nexus 6 at .98v

GSMarena accurately described clean but low output volume on LG but with channel imbalance towards higher listening volumes.

Moto Nexus 6 was/is a hiss monster with the IEMs I use: Shure SE535 & Campfire Jupiter

Hoping Pixel has clean output...the sensitive IEMs I use don't need all that power.

Oct 20, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #35 of 79
Well, call me crazy, but this thing has plenty of volume for me and now I'm starting to question Phone Arena's measurements. For example, I had the LG G4 and found it to be WAY too quiet, yet it was listed at .75v or so. This is .45v and it gets LOUD (Pixel XL by the way). 

Sound quality sounds great to my ears. No hiss, good low end punch and ever so slight treble roll off compared to my iPhone 7. Overall, I was expecting to be disappointed and I'm not. The phone itself feels fantastic. 

I'll check back in perhaps tomorrow with a more in-depth write up with a few different sets of IEMs. 

-Collin-

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #36 of 79
  Well, call me crazy, but this thing has plenty of volume for me and now I'm starting to question Phone Arena's measurements. For example, I had the LG G4 and found it to be WAY too quiet, yet it was listed at .75v or so. This is .45v and it gets LOUD (Pixel XL by the way). 

Sound quality sounds great to my ears. No hiss, good low end punch and ever so slight treble roll off compared to my iPhone 7. Overall, I was expecting to be disappointed and I'm not. The phone itself feels fantastic. 

I'll check back in perhaps tomorrow with a more in-depth write up with a few different sets of IEMs. 

-Collin-

Plenty of volume with what set of headphones? I've never had a problem playing any IEMs with any phone I purchased. Most new flagship phones have a clean output, it's the power that makes phones stand out. Also, Phone Arena doesn't differentiate between headphone load and no load like GSMArena does. Upon reading the GSMArena audio review of the G4, they said the volume levels plummet under a load which explains what you heard. So in the future, I now know, Phone Arena's measurements are external amplification measurements and not plugged in headphone measurements. I always prefer GSMArena's measurements anyway but use Phone Arena's as an early gauge since GSM takes longer.

Oct 21, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #37 of 79

-Collin-

Has me stoked, as an OEM user I haven't needed the AMP power but mainly no hiss or good clean response.

Thanks for the impression.

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #38 of 79
  Plenty of volume with what set of headphones? I've never had a problem playing any IEMs with any phone I purchased. Most new flagship phones have a clean output, it's the power that makes phones stand out. Also, Phone Arena doesn't differentiate between headphone load and no load like GSMArena does. Upon reading the GSMArena audio review of the G4, they said the volume levels plummet under a load which explains what you heard. So in the future, I now know, Phone Arena's measurements are external amplification measurements and not plugged in headphone measurements. I always prefer GSMArena's measurements anyway but use Phone Arena's as an early gauge since GSM takes longer.

I have tried a few so far, namely my XBA-300 Sonys, RE-600 HiFiMan and T-Peos Altone200. I know that all of these are relatively sensitive, but these are sort of my daily drivers. You make an interesting point about the voltage output under no load and that makes more sense. Each phone will react differently to this, so that's helpful to know. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll keep testing this phone with something that requires much more power like my Pinnacle P1 and MDR-EX1000. 
Has me stoked, as an OEM user I haven't needed the AMP power but mainly no hiss or good clean response.

Thanks for the impression.

The phone really is a joy to use. It's so much faster and more fluid than my S7 Edge. I love it so far as a phone. 

-Collin-

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #39 of 79
Okay, Folks. A bit more in depth this time now that I've had more than two hours with the Pixel XL. 

Test IEMs: MusicMaker Shockwave III
Test music: Tidal Hi-Fi (various songs)

Audio Quality (the most important, right?): I can now detect substantial differences in the sound signature between this and my S7 Edge (Exynos with the "Lucky" DAC chip). While volume levels are nearly identical, the bass on the Pixel is much more profound and bordering on "boomy" in comparison. I have found this to be the case with non-Aqstic run of the mill Qualcomm DAC chips and I don't think this is much different. I found the same on my HTC 10 in comparison as well. Mid range is probably the most similar frequency range on the two and I find it pleasant, nothing to complain about. Treble is probably where the biggest difference lies and this is probably the only letdown for me: it is rolled off compared to both the iPhone 7 and the S7 Edge. For those who are treble sensitive, this might be a blessing. For me, I love my treble and even on some of the brightest equipment that people complain about, I enjoy it. The silver lining is that I can REALLY crank it up with the SW3 IEMs, but, I still found myself wanting a bit more treble extension. SQ-wise the treble is fine, no sibilance, no grain per-se, I just want more of it. Background noise is nicely silent and I heard no hiss with Sony XBA-300, Shockwave III or HiFiMan RE-600. Overall, I find this to be a very pleasant-sounding phone with a slightly "consumer" sound signature for lack of a better word. I do not think it competes with my old V10 or G5 with HiFi module, but for how much I love the phone I find the sound quality great and perfectly tolerable. After all, I have a Chord Mojo or an elaborate desktop rig if I really need to split hairs. 

Camera: This thing is FAST. They weren't kidding with their demos and I love that it's always shooting in HDR with no speed penalty. It's also very cool how it has no bulge on the back and it's very noticeable. The double press on the power button is not as elegant as the quick launch on the iPhone or S7, but it gets the job done and the camera makes up with it with speed. Images look great, very neutral and accurate color and plenty of sharpness. Overall no complaints and it's really nice to see a Google phone finally live up to most of the hype. It's not going to replace a DSLR though (and I laugh that Apple thinks the iPhone 7 Plus can). 

Everything Else: I really like the new version of Android. It's fast, fluid, zero lag and it's just overall a breath of fresh air. I like the new launcher, but I found myself stumbling to get to my apps a few times in the beginning. The Google Assistant to me doesn't offer a ton more functionality than the older Google Now, but it's a nice update and fun to play with. More of a novelty right now, but, it has potential. I never thought I would write something like this, but I think my absolute favorite part of the software are the new wallpapers. Google has finally tapped into the LOADS of beautiful images they have and you have probably 200 choices (or more) for wallpapers. I know this is minor and possibly comical, but my wife and I were enamored last night browsing through all of them available. Really, really well-done. Also, this phone doesn't feel any bigger than the S7 Edge. My concern, based on Phone Arena's size comparison, would be that it was simply too large. It feels about the same and very usable. Battery life was great the first day, but I'll reserve judgement. It also seems to pick up a stronger signal than my S7 Edge did. 

Overall: I love it. I love it so much that I listed my S7 Edge on Swappa this morning. While the S7 Edge might be a bit more elegant and have preferable sound quality to some, I absolutely love "stock" Android and I am all in for Google's latest phone. Yes, it's expensive, but it is a step in the right direction that I want to support. 

Cheers friends, 

-Collin-

Oct 21, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #40 of 79
I have a LG v10 right now and it's starting to get kinda beat up. I'm really torn on whether I should get the v20 and keep enjoying fantastic audio without the need for an external amp. Or, if the usability and performance of the Pixel is worth the inconvenience of having to carry around a portable amp again.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #42 of 79
  Okay, Folks. A bit more in depth this time now that I've had more than two hours with the Pixel XL. 

Test IEMs: MusicMaker Shockwave III
Test music: Tidal Hi-Fi (various songs)

Audio Quality (the most important, right?): I can now detect substantial differences in the sound signature between this and my S7 Edge (Exynos with the "Lucky" DAC chip). While volume levels are nearly identical, the bass on the Pixel is much more profound and bordering on "boomy" in comparison. I have found this to be the case with non-Aqstic run of the mill Qualcomm DAC chips and I don't think this is much different. I found the same on my HTC 10 in comparison as well. Mid range is probably the most similar frequency range on the two and I find it pleasant, nothing to complain about. Treble is probably where the biggest difference lies and this is probably the only letdown for me: it is rolled off compared to both the iPhone 7 and the S7 Edge. For those who are treble sensitive, this might be a blessing. For me, I love my treble and even on some of the brightest equipment that people complain about, I enjoy it. The silver lining is that I can REALLY crank it up with the SW3 IEMs, but, I still found myself wanting a bit more treble extension. SQ-wise the treble is fine, no sibilance, no grain per-se, I just want more of it. Background noise is nicely silent and I heard no hiss with Sony XBA-300, Shockwave III or HiFiMan RE-600. Overall, I find this to be a very pleasant-sounding phone with a slightly "consumer" sound signature for lack of a better word. I do not think it competes with my old V10 or G5 with HiFi module, but for how much I love the phone I find the sound quality great and perfectly tolerable. After all, I have a Chord Mojo or an elaborate desktop rig if I really need to split hairs. 

Camera: This thing is FAST. They weren't kidding with their demos and I love that it's always shooting in HDR with no speed penalty. It's also very cool how it has no bulge on the back and it's very noticeable. The double press on the power button is not as elegant as the quick launch on the iPhone or S7, but it gets the job done and the camera makes up with it with speed. Images look great, very neutral and accurate color and plenty of sharpness. Overall no complaints and it's really nice to see a Google phone finally live up to most of the hype. It's not going to replace a DSLR though (and I laugh that Apple thinks the iPhone 7 Plus can). 

Everything Else: I really like the new version of Android. It's fast, fluid, zero lag and it's just overall a breath of fresh air. I like the new launcher, but I found myself stumbling to get to my apps a few times in the beginning. The Google Assistant to me doesn't offer a ton more functionality than the older Google Now, but it's a nice update and fun to play with. More of a novelty right now, but, it has potential. I never thought I would write something like this, but I think my absolute favorite part of the software are the new wallpapers. Google has finally tapped into the LOADS of beautiful images they have and you have probably 200 choices (or more) for wallpapers. I know this is minor and possibly comical, but my wife and I were enamored last night browsing through all of them available. Really, really well-done. Also, this phone doesn't feel any bigger than the S7 Edge. My concern, based on Phone Arena's size comparison, would be that it was simply too large. It feels about the same and very usable. Battery life was great the first day, but I'll reserve judgement. It also seems to pick up a stronger signal than my S7 Edge did. 

Overall: I love it. I love it so much that I listed my S7 Edge on Swappa this morning. While the S7 Edge might be a bit more elegant and have preferable sound quality to some, I absolutely love "stock" Android and I am all in for Google's latest phone. Yes, it's expensive, but it is a step in the right direction that I want to support. 

Cheers friends, 

-Collin-

Hi, thank you for the good review!

I'm looking to change my iPhone 6 and I would take the Pixel but I have just a question: So, do you think that the Pixel sounds "better" than the iPhone 7 (or maybe 6)? My brother has the HTC 10 and I found the sound personally better!

Oct 22, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #43 of 79
I am going to try to not sound biased, I really like the phone as a whole.

However I feel Google tuned all audio output, like there is layer of equalization at the base level.
It seems like they tuned the sound to get better performance out of the single firing bottom speaker and that those same equipment tweaks are persistent through the headphone out.

It doesn't sound accurate.

Through Campfire Jupiters it definitely has a warm, possibly dark colouring. Not sure if this is supposed to be a sound signature.

Through my Shure SE535s with Brown Knowles dampeners and DHC SPC cable: the 535's sound better than they should. Bass is prominent and mid range lost from acoustic dampeners, seems to have been regained when listening through Pixel headphone out.

I am sensitive to Sibilance so if there is treble roll-off...it is on my favor

Oddities:
Out of the box phone was on NDE63L and phone would not activate on Sprint Network.

Sound was hugely flawed with bad channel imbalance where there about 3/4 of the sound was coming from left side. (Thought it was a headphone jack defect.)

I unlocked bootloader and manually flashed NDE63P and was able to get though full initial setup and Sprint activation.
Sound seems balanced as far as left to right channels and output has a quiet noise floor (no hiss or interference when charging)

Sound volumes are going to be low for demanding headphones...the sounds levels are on the low side when using AUX. (Max headphone out volume is shy or Car radios other sources' volume levels.)

Soundstage seems fine although it seems like Bass decay is artificial.

I really feel like Google purposely coloured the sound signature.

Hoping Root is obtained soon and or Google offers a more natural sound equalization in the future.

Even Google Maps Navigation sounds different through both Phones built-in speaker and through the headphone jack.
Consistently more bass than I am getting from other devices (Note 7 is from memory, but I am comparing to Phones on hand Nexus 6 (hiss monster), Nexus 5 with faux/stereo mod & Viper4Android, Samsung Galaxy S6, Galaxy S4 (snapdragon...another hiss monster), and HTC M7 (slight hiss)

TL; DR
Seems to me that Google coloured the sound signature to cater to the masses: making the stock speaker sound better with enhanced Bass & mid range at the expense of also tweaking the headphone out with the same enhancements.

Out put is noise-free but on the low power side. Sensitive and efficient headphones may be fine but anything that is moderate drive will be lacking punch. (Not sure hard to drive headphones should even plugging)

I don't have a USB-Dac on hand at the moment, but I feel the tweaks I'm hearing are at the OS level and may actually persist through USB-Dac : given that I am hearing the same colouration from the built-in speaker and headphone jack.

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #44 of 79

Hi, thank you for the good review!

I'm looking to change my iPhone 6 and I would take the Pixel but I have just a question: So, do you think that the Pixel sounds "better" than the iPhone 7 (or maybe 6)? My brother has the HTC 10 and I found the sound personally better!

I would not go as far as to say it sounds better than the iPhone 7 or the iPhone 6, but it's quite an accomplishment that a pure Google phone is finally on the same level. I would still put the iPhone 7 slightly above the Pixel, but it's not worth dealing with no headphone jack honestly. If it were me and I was only going to have one phone, it would be the Pixel. I have to carry two, however, so I have both :)

-Collin-

Oct 22, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #45 of 79
Have you tried it with a mojo yet?  I can't find a way to get past the phone's auto re-sampling to 96kHz, it's annoying me now!!

I agree with your review though, great phone so far!  Feels a lot better than I was expecting it to as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back