Google phone announcement... thoughts?
Nov 5, 2007 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AlanY

1000+ Head-Fier
So the "gPhone" operating system was announced today. What are your thoughts?

I think it's pretty exciting, but from reading the transcript of the conference call, there is a huge vaporware component at present. It's supposed to work on all phones with a 200MHz+ ARM processor, targeted towards both the high and low end of the phone market, and basically do everything. That sounds kind of vague to me. But I think it's great that there will be more competition in the cell phone market... most interfaces are absolutely terrible.

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by silencewithin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The information I've seen is pretty vague too.
I don't see what there business model is though. Mobile phone screens are too small to force ads upon us...

are they really?

I get random text messages from ATT informing me on upgrades to my plan and stuff like that

sux
plainface.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #5 of 10
It's just one more step for Google's plan for world domination. Just imagine it, they will control a unified software interface across multiple cell phone models. My guess is they will make it really easy to google for directions, restaurants, movie bus and train schedules, etc. and all tailored for your location. If they can somehow display unobtrusive ads, it will be the ultimate in targeted advertising.

Nov 8, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are they really?

I get random text messages from ATT informing me on upgrades to my plan and stuff like that

sux
plainface.gif

I didn't think of it like that
icon10.gif

I get those ads all the time too... That just goes to show the depths of the penetration of their advertising, I forget they even occur even though they are so annoying and interrupting!
Of course google would be supplying the OS and not the network coverage (and ability to send ads)... but who knows

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 10
i would like it to be a open plataform for phone development, but the market is a bit crowded at this moment, we have windows mobile, with phones as cheap as the the HP 514 (runs around $250-$300)

you have Symbian S60, with phones starting at less then $200

you have UIQ phones from motorola and ericsson, ,

then you have phones with propietary operating systems but with java VM support allowing some application development, depending on the Horse Power on the phone and the version of java installed,

so you´re basicly adding another fish to a allready small pond, becuase smartphones are actually a niche product, when most people just use their phone to call and text,

Nov 8, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 10
I'm all for it. Mobile Phone OSes for the large part suck. WinCE is painful, Verizon's custom OS is absolute crap, and Symbian's merely bearable. If Google can deliver a solid competitor I hope they take the entire marketshare.

Nov 8, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #9 of 10
it's just another linux os. It's really nothing special. G will offer it for free with an SDK and you'll see half assed versions of it ported to all sorts of devices.

I installed linux on a dead fruit fly last night. I just can't find a video driver to support dual monitors.

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's just another linux os. It's really nothing special. G will offer it for free with an SDK and you'll see half assed versions of it ported to all sorts of devices.

I installed linux on a dead fruit fly last night. I just can't find a video driver to support dual monitors.

that's sort of my feeling as well...this might actually benefit phone manufacturers the most - they won't have to pay license fees for windows mobile or symbian if they choose to go google.

what's an even bigger story is whether google will pony up for the 700mHz broadband spectrum auction in jan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back