Google Nexus 4
Sep 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #226 of 266
I did too! When I bought it I was expecting something roughly iPhone sized and was pleasantly surprised.

I hate the bands too, they are so annoying, always getting in the way. Those fasteners work really well, I never worry about the amp falling off, they are way more secure than Velcro which is what I used before I found those.
I always thought the E11 was bigger than that. Those fasteners are a good idea though. I cant imagine using those bands they send with them because they would get in the way.

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #227 of 266
If I get a FiiO E18 I will definitely try those fasteners. I would probably put it on my current case and buy a Franco kernel case to switch out with the other when not using the DAC. But I don't have $100 to burn after buying some new IEMs so it'll be a while.

I did too! When I bought it I was expecting something roughly iPhone sized and was pleasantly surprised.

I hate the bands too, they are so annoying, always getting in the way. Those fasteners work really well, I never worry about the amp falling off, they are way more secure than Velcro which is what I used before I found those.

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #228 of 266
I third that, I thought the E11 was gonna be bigger than it was. Also I plan to buy an E18 when they're available.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #229 of 266
Yeah E11 is good for what it is. I wish it was usable while charging, but the battery life isn't terrible so I can't really complain. It serves its purpose as a decent, affordable portable amp.
Quote:
I third that, I thought the E11 was gonna be bigger than it was. Also I plan to buy an E18 when they're available.

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #230 of 266
Nexus people, I need help!  Trying to buy a nexus 4, but need persuasion.

My original plan was to buy a Nokia 808, and I did so twice.  Both returned due to defects (seller is awful)
My goals for a phone were:

- Battery life:  On 808's paltry battery, I managed over 300 photos with flash, leaving WiFi+BT on, 45 minutes of offline GPS, calling+texting, and still had over 50% battery after an entire day!

- Camera:  Nokia 808 really has the best camera on the market hands down.  More accurate, and slightly more detailed than the Lumia 1020.  Falls short if you don't have a tripod at low light, but then again, 1020 would need one too for optimal results.

- Audio:  An improvement from the N8.  Sound really good on default, has more than enough volume for the DT880 but imo still needs an amp.

- Features:  Please do not list me apps a features!  Apps <> Features.  Features are things like gyroscopes, or in Nokia 808's case, full offline maps in svg vector format, and even things like a built in FM transmitter!

I paid $334 for the 808, and the Nexus 4 has been marked down considerably.  I know the 808 is lacking in other respects, e.g RAM/CPU, but imo does not need the extra horsepower.  Everything works on a 1.3GHz CPU and small capacity battery.

As of now, my phone inventory consists of the Palm Pre 3, Huawei W1, Palm Treo 650, Nokia N73, and HP Veer 4G.  4 Dead OSes and a WP8.

Right now I am using a Walkman Z for music, Veer 4G for calling and connectivity, and now need a new camera...  The Nokia 808 price hiked back to over $450 new, so the Nexus 4 certainly has a more attractive price.

Nokia 808 or Nexus 4+DSLR?

Price wise the Nokia 808 still wins, persuade me over to the Nexus crowd.  Using Blazer for internet Q.Q

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #231 of 266
My N4 gets over a full day of battery with regular use running CM10 variants. SQ with Franco Kernel is good enough that I don't mind using my HD650s with it. DSP Manager is the best portable EQ and tweak system I have seen to date. Android has a superior UI to WP8 in most people's view, and is more customizable by far, especially if you root.

Overall for your use, I would say get another 808 unless you plan on rooting or just dislike windows phones (which I wouldn't blame you for, I was a Beta tester for WP7 and even though the UI is smooth, its just not user friendly IMO). That is where the N4 really gets good, when you can do real internal tweaks like Franco Kernel and DSP Manager. And the SQ is comparable to mid-range audiophile DAPs, certainly a notch above iPods or Sansa players.

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #232 of 266
Quote:
My N4 gets over a full day of battery with regular use running CM10 variants. SQ with Franco Kernel is good enough that I don't mind using my HD650s with it. DSP Manager is the best portable EQ and tweak system I have seen to date. Android has a superior UI to WP8 in most people's view, and is more customizable by far, especially if you root.

Overall for your use, I would say get another 808 unless you plan on rooting or just dislike windows phones (which I wouldn't blame you for, I was a Beta tester for WP7 and even though the UI is smooth, its just not user friendly IMO). That is where the N4 really gets good, when you can do real internal tweaks like Franco Kernel and DSP Manager. And the SQ is comparable to mid-range audiophile DAPs, certainly a notch above iPods or Sansa players.

The problem is, Nokia 808 is on clunky Symbian Belle.  I love it, its like a shot of nostalgia lol.
The battery life is so great, yet only a 1150 mAh battery :S
Even has the display on all the time to show the clock lol.

I was already leaning onto the DSLR market, mirrorless compacts in particular.  The Nexus 4 appears to take adequate photos, and the battery life you've reported is ample for my needs.  My only gripe at the moment is the lack of external storage, and schiity OTG capabilities.  Wireless storage looks bulky as well 

Sep 3, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #233 of 266
I suppose it just comes down to preference, IMHO Android is a step above Symbian when it comes to things like Apps and Games, and UI, but you may feel differently.

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #234 of 266
I've got a stock T-mo Nexus 4. Have only used it so far streaming music from Spotify to a pair of Etymotic hf5. 

I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I'd have to root mine at some point to get LTE, as I discovered last night. 

What are the thoughts on just adding a little amp like the E6 instead of the whole shebang of using a portable dac like the E7?

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #235 of 266
I use the E11, which is almost exactly the size of a credit card with a slightly greater thickness than the N4, with my Nexus, and it's a great portable combo. If you have a case with a flat, smooth back, you can even replicate my awesome case
cool.gif
 : http://www.head-fi.org/t/634048/google-nexus-4/210#post_9766980

FWIW I had the E5, which is basically the E6 with crappier build, and I actually felt it decreased the SQ with some of my phones. I would recommend spending the extra $20-30 for the E11, it's really not much more cash (one or two meals out), has waaaay more power, a high gain setting for more power-hungry headphones (it serves well enough with my HD650), and even a 3-stage bass boost feature. Nice warm sound that might add a little body to your Etys, too ^_^

Quote:
  I've got a stock T-mo Nexus 4. Have only used it so far streaming music from Spotify to a pair of Etymotic hf5. 

I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I'd have to root mine at some point to get LTE, as I discovered last night. 

What are the thoughts on just adding a little amp like the E6 instead of the whole shebang of using a portable dac like the E7?

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #236 of 266
An external DAC won't work with the nexus 4 anyway without external power. At that point it isnt portable anymore so really the only thing you can do is use an amp.

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #237 of 266
...which is really all you need, IMO, if you are comfortable rooting, flashing kernels, etc. Sure extension isn't the greatest, but my HD25s, DT770 LEs, and all my IEMs sound good straight from the headphone jack. Add an E11 or something similar and you've got yourself a respectable little portable rig.

Quote:
An external DAC won't work with the nexus 4 anyway without external power. At that point it isnt portable anymore so really the only thing you can do is use an amp.

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #238 of 266
So what is the sound signature of the Fiio E11? I don't need an amp when I'm running my Etymotics but my phone just cannot drive my K240 Studios worth a damn and it would be nice to be able to use those 'phones at school. 

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #239 of 266
Its on the warm side of things.
So what is the sound signature of the Fiio E11? I don't need an amp when I'm running my Etymotics but my phone just cannot drive my K240 Studios worth a damn and it would be nice to be able to use those 'phones at school. 

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #240 of 266
Hello !

I can confirm that USB Audio is working flawlessly on a Nexus 4 with USB Audio Recorder Pro and Ziddey USB-OTG kernel !

My settings are the following : Nexus 4 > USB OTG > USB Audio Recorder Pro >> Fiio E07 >> Philips M1

And with the external battery Anker Astro Mini 3000 I have a good audiophile mobile device. :)
Now it would be great to have a kernel or a patch to make it work not only with USB Audio Recorder Pro but with all players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back