Google Nexus 4
Sep 1, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #211 of 266
Is there no SlimPort to USB adapter? Surely they could make one of those and solve the whole problem?

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #212 of 266
Slimport is only made to output video and audio through HDMI. As far as I know HDMI cannot be converted to USB for external DACs. Therefore it will require a HDMI audio receiver or a special slimport DAC. For portable use I dont think the HDMI receiver is practical so someone should develop a slimport DAC. Maybe this will be built into the Fiio E18 when it comes out?

Since slimport is in both the Nexus 4 and the new Nexus 7 I would think that would be a good decision for Fiio.

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #215 of 266
I'm feeling a bit lazy, sorry in advance :p

Looking at the Nexus 4 16GB on sale and was wondering how good will it sound after switching kernels, etc etc?
Had to return my Nokia 808 due to defects, and the price has raised substantially on the model across the internet.

My current portable source is the Sony Walkman Z, and I was hoping the Nexus 4 could be comparable.  Would give me an excuse to ditch my Treo 650.

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #216 of 266
If only it could work with my microstreamer...
It seems as if Slimport may become a standard in Nexus phones and tablets so it would be an excellent feature going forward since it will work on many devices to come.

I just contacted Fiio to inform them of this feature. I'm hoping to see it in the rumored Fiio E18 which is specialized for Android devices.

Slimport is only made to output video and audio through HDMI. As far as I know HDMI cannot be converted to USB for external DACs. Therefore it will require a HDMI audio receiver or a special slimport DAC. For portable use I dont think the HDMI receiver is practical so someone should develop a slimport DAC. Maybe this will be built into the Fiio E18 when it comes out?

Since slimport is in both the Nexus 4 and the new Nexus 7 I would think that would be a good decision for Fiio.

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #217 of 266
N4 sound quality with Franco kernel is quite good, good enough that my HD25 sound very nice with or without my E11 amping them. I'd say its a step above an iPod or sands clip, on par with my Voodoo'd Android phones in every way but soundstage, and the sound actually has less grain; the Voodoo phones have been compared favorably to Cowon products (J3 specifically from what I've read), so the N4 is in pretty good company.
I'm feeling a bit lazy, sorry in advance :p

Looking at the Nexus 4 16GB on sale and was wondering how good will it sound after switching kernels, etc etc?
Had to return my Nokia 808 due to defects, and the price has raised substantially on the model across the internet.

My current portable source is the Sony Walkman Z, and I was hoping the Nexus 4 could be comparable.  Would give me an excuse to ditch my Treo 650.

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #221 of 266
Yeah I would definitely buy a Fiio E18 if it worked with the N4 properly without any external power or rebooting etc.

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #222 of 266
I dunno, I've been thinking about it and I would probably just use my N4 the way it is even if it had USB DAC compatibility. I like having a rig that isn't super high end, keeps me from lusting after summit-fi stuff to know that I can still enjoy the basics like my PX100-ii and HD25 with just my N4 and sometimes E11 to give the HD25 a bit of extra juice. I already get looked at funny for having a cell phone case with fasteners for my amp :p
Yeah I would definitely buy a Fiio E18 if it worked with the N4 properly without any external power or rebooting etc.

Sep 2, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #223 of 266
Quote:
I dunno, I've been thinking about it and I would probably just use my N4 the way it is even if it had USB DAC compatibility. I like having a rig that isn't super high end, keeps me from lusting after summit-fi stuff to know that I can still enjoy the basics like my PX100-ii and HD25 with just my N4 and sometimes E11 to give the HD25 a bit of extra juice. I already get looked at funny for having a cell phone case with fasteners for my amp :p

Is there a website where I can get a case with fasteners or is it home made?

Quote:

It comes with this functionality enabled without any modification required so you can expect it to work flawlessly. For me its just plug n play.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #224 of 266
Home made, I just got a basic thin black case (plastic works better than rubber, I got mine which is some kind of rigid rubber at a T-Mobile store) with a blank, smooth back, and put these on the case and my E11:

Scotch(R) All-Weather Fasteners, 2 Sets of 1 Inch x 3 Inches, Strips, Clear (RFD7090)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00347A8EO/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8

Comes out looking like this:

Is there a website where I can get a case with fasteners or is it home made?

It comes with this functionality enabled without any modification required so you can expect it to work flawlessly. For me its just plug n play.

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #225 of 266
I always thought the E11 was bigger than that. Those fasteners are a good idea though. I cant imagine using those bands they send with them because they would get in the way.

Quote:
Home made, I just got a basic thin black case (plastic works better than rubber, I got mine which is some kind of rigid rubber at a T-Mobile store) with a blank, smooth back, and put these on the case and my E11:

Scotch(R) All-Weather Fasteners, 2 Sets of 1 Inch x 3 Inches, Strips, Clear (RFD7090)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00347A8EO/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back