Google Nexus 4
Oct 31, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #16 of 266
Quote:

The upcoming Nexus 4 will most likely support usb OTG which will allow access to external storage such as usb flash drives/hdd natively via usb OTG cable which by any chance if doesn't support natively out of the box;can always root and use Stickmount. 
Example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIGj4LZhwoo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYHlbvH69w4

That *should* be true, but the only real evidence we have to base a prediction on is what happened with the Nexus 7, which did not support external storage with OTG (without Root and solutions like Stickmount). While Rooting will be trivial because it is a Nexus device many people don't want to do that to their devices and may be screwed over if Google repeats what they did with the Nexus 7.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #17 of 266
Quote:

That *should* be true, but the only real evidence we have to base a prediction on is what happened with the Nexus 7, which did not support external storage with OTG (without Root and solutions like Stickmount). While Rooting will be trivial because it is a Nexus device many people don't want to do that to their devices and may be screwed over if Google repeats what they did with the Nexus 7.

Honestly if by any chance the Nexus 4 doesn't support OTG natively without rooting(which majority of nexus devices owners like myself already rooted their devices and isn't an issue to them) and someone requires OTG natively without willing to root due to concerns if something going haywire with their device/etc, they should look else where more towards a device that is more consumer friendly like the Galaxy S III/Galaxy Note II/etc which already does support OTG natively without rooting..

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #20 of 266
I just measured the output impedance of the headphone jack on mine and it looks to be about 2-3 ohms, which is excellent. This means it should match well with pretty much any headphone/IEM. I'm quite happy and surprised to see it measure this well. From what I've seen online about how many other phones measure, only Apple phones are down this low. There's a chance I messed up the measurement though - the plug I was using wouldn't go fully into the jack for some reason and I had to hold it down.

I've only listened to it for about 15 minutes but it sounds great so far. Not much audible hiss at all with my JH13.

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #21 of 266
Quote:
From what I've seen online about how many other phones measure, only Apple phones are down this low. 

The Note 2 is also around the 2ohm mark.

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #23 of 266
audio quality seems to be getting quite a bit of favourable feedback

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2004772&highlight=audio+quality

smile.gif

Nov 23, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #24 of 266
Nov 24, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #25 of 266
Hei Ilikepooters,

do you know if it was measured after the other measure you posted and which is linked in the AnandTech review? Interestingly, supercurio is measuring with 32Bit/44.1KHz... Why the heck did he play Files with 32Bit? I think that are not the standard settings of the Oudiofiles either. Maybe this could've caused the massive distortion and the treble rolloff?

Greetings, KoRnasteniker

Nov 24, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #26 of 266
Nov 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #28 of 266
I want to buy the Etymotic hf2 headset to go with the Nexus 4 (whenever that's back in stock). Can anyone tell me if they'll definitely be compatible with the N4? I've heard there are some incompatibilities where some headsets use a ring for ground and the sleeve for mic and vice versa so the sound comes out muffled and distorted if the phone has a different set-up.

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #29 of 266
I've heard there are some incompatibilities where some headsets use a ring for ground and the sleeve for mic and vice versa so the sound comes out muffled and distorted if the phone has a different set-up.

That happened to me with the Samsung Galaxy S 1, it used a non-standard configuration, Gawd knows why, and it made every headset out there completely useless with it. That's an isolated case though, you shouldn't have that problem with the Nexus 4 (and I know its predecessor, the Galaxy Nexus, doesn't have that problem).

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #30 of 266
That happened to me with the Samsung Galaxy S 1, it used a non-standard configuration, Gawd knows why, and it made every headset out there completely useless with it. That's an isolated case though, you shouldn't have that problem with the Nexus 4 (and I know its predecessor, the Galaxy Nexus, doesn't have that problem).

My phone right now is the Galaxy S - you mean to say that my phone was the crazy one all this time?! :p I've just been using the stock headset so far (which are relatively decent for bundled earphones) so I've never encountered issues like that personally.

Thanks for your help, I'll go ahead and order the hf2 then. I'm looking forward to the world of high-quality audio :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back